Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Captain Halcee Reckitt IV
Like if you legit got yourselves celiac, then go paleo like everyone else.

I've gone gluten free.
A lot of stir fries with tasty tasty meat in them.
Rice flour based pasta is my "I need an insta meal" equivalent.

a diet based on gluten-free cake and processed food is not healthy.

Most processed food is not produced in isolation and is therefore gluten contaminated.
Those companies that know the difference between "suitable for coeliacs" and "does not contain wheat as an intentional ingredient" tend to not make processed food.
Mrs Cribbons being an exception.

meat doesn't have gluten, maybe go eat a steak.

Tasty tasty steak.

celery doesn't have gluten, maybe eat that once and a while.

Celery tastes like a**.

there really is no grain based food that is good for you in the first place.

Got any kind of evidence for that?
I'm quite partial to my porridge and rice.

Clean Citizen

CuAnnan

I've gone gluten free.

Most processed food is not produced in isolation and is therefore gluten contaminated.
Those companies that know the difference between "suitable for coeliacs" and "does not contain wheat as an intentional ingredient" tend to not make processed food.

Tasty tasty steak.

Celery tastes like a**.

I don't give a s**t how suitable gluten-free cake is for celiacs, it's still not good for you. It's ******** cake!
b***h Whore OP is complaining about how people go and just buy this gluten-free garbage like gluten-free cake because they think it's good for them. The bad part about cake aint gluten. Cake is unhealthy because of starch and sugar. Gluten-free cake is still starch and sugar.

Profitable Sex Symbol

8,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Red-Delycious
Celiac is the most overdiagnosed physical disorder.

A while ago, some idiots said eating meat is bad for you, when it's not.
You need meat to get amino acids, including tryptophan, which is what serotonin is made of. Without it, you get depression, anxiety, and sleep disorders, and need to buy expensive SSRIs which the pharmaceutical companies profit over.

But, as it turns out, there were two decent vegan sources of tryptophan: soy and gluten, the two vegan foods they are also telling us not to eat.

Food companies often use corn to substitute for the wheat. Corn is the cheapest food substance, so they save money there, and then charge you idiots twice the price for it by labeling it gluten-free.
The companies go as far as to label things like rice with "gluten-free" and also charge twice the price. (All rice is gluten-free).
The gluten-free industry racks in billions of dollars of revenue every year.

Most celiacs were misdiagnosed and have fructose malabsorption caused by the sweeteners that are in all wheat products except pasta. Yet, the sauces you buy for your pasta contain fructose, so it doesn't matter. This disorder is caused by eating too much sugar and crap to the point where it causes permanent intestine damage.
With the baby food now, even 2 year olds have it from eating that s**t baby food which is pure fructose, but people believe it's healthy because it's made of "apples".

I'm sure there are cases of misdiagnosis, but the actual procedure for getting a celiac diagnosis is quite extensive. You get an intestinal biopsy, a liver biopsy and blood tests with your mother to determine if you have this hereditary condition. (it is not one triggered by eating anything, intolerance and allergies are but celiac is a disease).

Corn isn't what you end up eating a lot of when you get off gluten, rice is. Corn doesn't have the nutritional value someone with damaged small intestines needs.
Are you going to tell me (a celiac) that there's a grand rice scheme that corporate manufacturers are peddling? I am very curious to learn where you are getting your information because to me it's an offensive crock and you don't appear to be very well-informed.

Profitable Sex Symbol

8,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
CuAnnan

I've gone gluten free.

Tasty tasty steak.

Celery tastes like a**.

I don't give a s**t how suitable gluten-free cake is for celiacs, it's still not good for you. It's ******** cake!
b***h Whore OP is complaining about how people go and just buy this gluten-free garbage like gluten-free cake because they think it's good for them. The bad part about cake aint gluten. Cake is unhealthy because of starch and sugar. Gluten-free cake is still starch and sugar.

The OP seems to be riding on this food industry paranoia about corn and needs to get a grip and not mouth off about stuff they don't know d**k about.

Clean Citizen

Cory Shallow
CuAnnan

I've gone gluten free.

Tasty tasty steak.

Celery tastes like a**.

The OP seems to be riding on this food industry paranoia about corn and needs to get a grip and not mouth off about stuff they don't know d**k about.

b***h Whore OP be saying that corn is cheap, and "gluten-free" give them industries reason to make garbage cake food out of cheaper ingredients and charge twice the price.

Clean Citizen

Cory Shallow
Red-Delycious

You need meat to get amino acids, including tryptophan, which is what serotonin is made of. Without it, you get depression, anxiety, and sleep disorders, and need to buy expensive SSRIs which the pharmaceutical companies profit over.

But, as it turns out, there were two decent vegan sources of tryptophan: soy and gluten, the two vegan foods they are also telling us not to eat.

Food companies often use corn to substitute for the wheat. Corn is the cheapest food substance, so they save money there, and then charge you idiots twice the price for it by labeling it gluten-free.
The companies go as far as to label things like rice with "gluten-free" and also charge twice the price. (All rice is gluten-free).

Most celiacs were misdiagnosed and have fructose malabsorption caused by the sweeteners that are in all wheat products except pasta. Yet, the sauces you buy for your pasta contain fructose, so it doesn't matter. This disorder is caused by eating too much sugar and crap to the point where it causes permanent intestine damage.
With the baby food now, even 2 year olds have it from eating that s**t baby food which is pure fructose, but people believe it's healthy because it's made of "apples".

I'm sure there are cases of misdiagnosis, but the actual procedure for getting a celiac diagnosis is quite extensive. You get an intestinal biopsy, a liver biopsy and blood tests with your mother to determine if you have this hereditary condition. (it is not one triggered by eating anything, intolerance and allergies are but celiac is a disease).

Corn isn't what you end up eating a lot of when you get off gluten, rice is. Corn doesn't have the nutritional value someone with damaged small intestines needs.
Are you going to tell me (a celiac) that there's a grand rice scheme that corporate manufacturers are peddling? I am very curious to learn where you are getting your information because to me it's an offensive crock and you don't appear to be very well-informed.

Not here in Canada.

Here all we get is a blood test.

I know, cuz they made me get it. BAstards made me pay 50$ for that s**t a** test.

Frozen Fairy

Cory Shallow
Red-Delycious

Rice has less nutritional value than corn.
Grains are overall bad, wheat included.
I don't eat any of them.
Rice is the most disgusting, horrible food out there.

Also, I had the Celiac test before, and it was a very simple procedure.
It came back negative. Turned out I was intolerant to maltose. There is no monetary gain for corporations for maltose intolerance.

High-functioning Lunatic

20,015 Points
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
Not here in Canada.

I know, cuz they made me get it. BAstards made me pay 50$ for that s**t a** test.

Ouch. I'm also Canadian, but I didn't have to pay a cent when I was tested for celiac.

Did they give you a reason why you had to pay for the test?

(Test came back negative, btw. Turns out my intestinal distress was caused by crohn's, not celiac.)

Clean Citizen

Elemental Rhythm
Not here in Canada.

Ouch. I'm also Canadian, but I didn't have to pay a cent when I was tested for celiac.

Did they give you a reason why you had to pay for the test?

(Test came back negative, btw. Turns out my intestinal distress was caused by crohn's, not celiac.)

Healthcare is provincially regulated. We live in different provinces.
OHIP don't cover the test. It was 50$ when I got the test in 2009. and it was a blood test to check for that antibody thingy. Now it's like 120$, but I aint sure entirely.
Eating correctly is a must no matter what your diet is if you want to be healthy. Cooking things at home from scratch for most of your meals with good ingredients will help.

Simple grains are not good for people, but more hearty ones like buckwheat, wild rice, quinoa, chia, and gluten free certified steel cut oats are good to help maintain a good balance of the complex fiber everybody's body needs. Without a serving of grains in our diets, we are liable to get gout, or some other serious complications.

Just do everything in moderation, and make wise food choices and you will find yourself feeling better and also looking better.

Beloved Bloodsucker

20,225 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Red-Delycious

Plus cutting gluten out of your diet unless you have Gluten allergies causes lack of proper nutrients.
I think people should just do what feels best to them and what makes them the healthiest.

I've found that I get stomach issues if I eat anything with gluten or lactose in it.

I've had those issues before I even knew what gluten was, I did little expiriments to see what food caused issues and found out that everything with wheat and everything with dairy in it caused stomach upset.

So, I figured, that must be the problem.
Sexy_Angel_Kisses_7
Red-Delycious

Plus cutting gluten out of your diet unless you have Gluten allergies causes lack of proper nutrients.

And how exactly does that work?

Beloved Bloodsucker

20,225 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
BuspironeHCL
Sexy_Angel_Kisses_7
Red-Delycious

Wheat contains many essential vitamins and minerals by eating gluten free you are stripping it all away
Sexy_Angel_Kisses_7
BuspironeHCL
Sexy_Angel_Kisses_7
Red-Delycious

Wheat contains many essential vitamins and minerals by eating gluten free you are stripping it all away

No you aren't. You're not removing the gluten from the gluten free products, you're using gluten free alternatives, like brown rice, millet, quinoa, chia...those all have plenty of essential vitamins and minerals. More so than wheat does.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff