Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rainbow Lover

9,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Why is it when it comes to relationships people tend to seek and lust after appearances than personality? Particularly women?

I was talking to some women last week about relationships and how hard it is to find someone right. These three girls went on and on about how they would love to have found someone who was nice to them, treated them well, didn't steal from them or mistreat the kids, someone who wouldn't cheat on them, etc. Then today I heard these same three girls talk about this couple. The man was huge (about 300lbs and wasn't george clooney in appearance if youknow what i mean). He was holding hands with this blonde ,busty insanely gorgeous girl and they were acting all lovey dovey.

The girls actually said this:

girl 1: ugh look at that
girl 2: ewww he must be rich
girl 1 : why would a girl that hot be with someone thats not?
girl 3: yeah I mean look at him its like God molded sewage onto a skull
girl 2: really. I mean why would someone like her wanna be with someone like him?

me: well maybe it's because he doesn't mistreat her, or steal from her, or hurt her kids, or cheat on her, or abuse her, and maybe he's nice from her..... god no wonder you broads have relationship problems.

explain this to me: why do people value appearances over personality? Why do men and women end up with someone hot but also cheats on them or mistreats them but not hook up with someone not to hot looking but who is nice to them and faithful? Wtf?
anadentone
Why is it when it comes to relationships people tend to seek and lust after appearances than personality? Particularly women?

I honestly don't believe women are more critical of appearances than men are. Most people tend to judge each other on appearance. We live in an extremely plastic culture. It's just the way things are.
because the people you're describing are ******** retarded.

most non-stupid people aren't going to stay with someone who treats them like s**t, even if they're hot.
She has a body like an hourglass...
I never understood that either. It's just ridiculous. And, are you serious? If I had met girls like that, I would have definitely blown my ******** top. Anyways, if I found someone that I deeply loved, then their appearance would have little relevance to me. I do enjoy admiring beauty, though, despite the fact it's not something I absolutely CRAVE AND NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED.

...and a mind like a diamond.

7,150 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
I dont get the whole
Obese-man-and-super-Megan-Fox-hot-girlfriend/wife-thing either. confused
Dunno about you, but I kinda need someone to look at least a little attractive for me to fall in love with them.
They can have the best personality in the world, but if theree morbidly obese and and look like a steam-roller just b***h-slapped their face, Im only going to think of them as friends.

Rainbow Lover

9,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Thy Young Prosecutor
She has a body like an hourglass...
I never understood that either. It's just ridiculous. And, are you serious? If I had met girls like that, I would have definitely blown my ******** top. Anyways, if I found someone that I deeply loved, then their appearance would have little relevance to me. I do enjoy admiring beauty, though, despite the fact it's not something I absolutely CRAVE AND NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED.

...and a mind like a diamond.

yeah >.< my rule is I rather have a kind hearted fixer upper than a mean model.
when those girls said that my expression was :
User Image

Greedy Cat

Well, most relationships do need physical attraction to survive. I can't be with someone whom I'm not attracted to. However, it is something that could develop over time, and isn't always the same as everyone else's standard for attractiveness.

Anxious Smoker

BECAUSE I CANT LOVE THEM IF THEY CANT GIVE ME A BONER

Friendly Citizen

4,100 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Living in an era where looks are on the rage is probably the biggest / one of the biggest factors as to why, to be blunt, guys or girls would want a quick ******** rather than have an actual relationship with others.

..Then again, looks were one of those things that were like this since the beginning of time, when you think about it.

Not that saying going for looks is bad, but.. I'm kinda one of those people that say if you're JUST going for looks, it's.. eh.
..No.

Rainbow Lover

9,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
I Shall Grant You NoMercy
I dont get the whole
Obese-man-and-super-Megan-Fox-hot-girlfriend/wife-thing either. confused
Dunno about you, but I kinda need someone to look at least a little attractive for me to fall in love with them.
They can have the best personality in the world, but if theree morbidly obese and and look like a steam-roller just smashed into their face, Im only going to think of them as friends.

he wasn't obese he looked about 6 ft tall and 300lb made him chubby like. He wasn't fugly but he wasn't uber brad pitt handsome (i feel shallow saying that) I call it the Homer and Marge scenario >.< I'd rather have someone whos not uber hot since really hot guys and girls tend to have those stalkers/ fanpeoples following them. If a girl dates a hot guy shes bound to come across those women who will flirt with him and openly (like right in front of you) ask him to dance and such. At least with a less attractive man, they won't be lusting after him.

Witty Raider

Because most people don't want to be with someone if they look like they smashed their face through ten panes of glass then hit by a monster truck.

For me, the guy needs to be at least decently attractive to me, otherwise I don't want to think about them.

Rainbow Lover

9,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Magical Brie
Living in an era where looks are on the rage is probably the biggest / one of the biggest factors as to why, to be blunt, guys or girls would want a quick ******** rather than have an actual relationship with others.

..Then again, looks were one of those things that were like this since the beginning of time, when you think about it.

Not that saying going for looks is bad, but.. I'm kinda one of those people that say if you're JUST going for looks, it's.. eh.
..No.

i think it's sad sad i know people have flock towards beautiful looking people since the dawn of time but the truth is people use to ( or majority) flock to those with a kind heart. To my grandparents era, a kind heart was considered more beautiful than a beautiful/ handsome face The women in my family married less attractive guys because they did fall in love with their hearts before their bodies. Shamefully people now fall in love with someones body than their hearts. Many men and women will break up with someone because they have little boobs or a small wang sad Some people wont date unless "Hes hot , hung and loaded with money" or "shes got big boobs,rich and easy" >.<

(btw didn't i defrib you in zomg about a couple of hours ago? XD )

Shameless Lover

10,700 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Regular 100
User Image
User ImageUser Image

Appearances make the first impression. Personality is the make it or break it.
Surely you could have come to that conclusion all by yourself?

User ImageUser Image

Friendly Citizen

4,100 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
anadentone
Magical Brie

..No.

i think it's sad sad i know people have flock towards beautiful looking people since the dawn of time but the truth is people use to ( or majority) flock to those with a kind heart. To my grandparents era, a kind heart was considered more beautiful than a beautiful/ handsome face The women in my family married less attractive guys because they did fall in love with their hearts before their bodies. Shamefully people now fall in love with someones body than their hearts. Many men and women will break up with someone because they have little boobs or a small wang sad Some people wont date unless "Hes hot , hung and loaded with money" or "shes got big boobs,rich and easy" >.<

(btw didn't i defrib you in zomg about a couple of hours ago? XD )

(I actually haven't been on ZOMG in awhile, so.. I don't think so!)

Yeah; I mean, there were probably at least a few groups of people who would look for girls or guys just for that? But.. It probably wasn't as common as it is now; I guess it just depends on how and where the parents or the elders lived before we came along as the next generation.

This is why I do not care about my appearance that much, and I tend to stay cooped into my room -- being me and being liked for being me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games