Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sheedo
CH1YO
Dignity must be preserved.

One of my favorite fallacy.

It's a fiction; not a fallacy, don't confuse your terminology.
CH1YO
Sheedo
CH1YO

-bows-
I do this all the time. Some reasons for me:

1) My friends hold very different beliefs than me. Hence, we don't get into a lot of conversations that would touch upon such subjects.
2) I'm surprised enough that they're wiling to hang out with me, so why bother them with my troubles as well?
3) I just am horrible at talking about myself. (Yay for interwebz anonymity!)

I know its not the best, but I'm not the best at change. Result? Happy fun me with my friends! Depressed the rest of the time mostly. 'Tis easy enough to live with though ^_^.
Hmm....maybe it's due to our upbringing? From what I've observed, some of us are brought up to not show our emotions or feelings in public because they are seen as "weakness" and show our vulnerabilities.

Do you bottle your feelings? Why?

Yes. I think bottling up ones' feelings is normal act. I do this because I don't want to appear weak. I'm scared of what the society thinks of me and my feelings.

Are you scarred of what other people think? or are you worried that what you are feelings shouldn't be?

Yes. I'm scared of being judge harshly by the society. I'm a sensitive person I guess? XP
SarahSilverblossom
I go with reason 2 & 3 that Pacific State put.
I keep all my emotions, such, in. I have no one to run to tell them to, therefore I keep it to myself, and because I could never tell my friends, they don't understand (:
And I am afraid, what if the person judges me for what I think? My opinions and thoughts? Will they tell everyone else? I'll be judged, my biggest fear...
It sucks to keep the emotions in but you gotta figure out a way of getting them out or they'll eat you alive...like with me...
I almost burst out on my friend over a stupid thing because my emotions were killing me and then I burst out, telling some person I barely knew a lot of the reason and bursting out in tears...
:/ Life's hard especially with people you know who will judge you for the smallest of things, whether they say they're your friend or not...

/: They say they're there for me, but are they really? There for when I really need them? *Sigh* I must seem stupid or whatever you judge me as but I couldn't help looking at my cousin and her friends, they were there for her in her needed of time.
Her boyfriend had broken up with her over MSN /: And her friends quickly supported her, I felt bad...I wanted friends like that and I wish I could have supported her as well as they did...but I didn't, I was to choked up...

But we sat under a tree and she got her emotions out, telling her friend while I listened about her times with her boyfriend and such. She sobbed the whole time and her friend did to but I was so used to keeping the emotions in and not crying that I just stared like an idiot /:

Anyway, yeah, it sucks to keep it in...But that's just what it is in my opinion, why I keep it in /:
Sorry I wrote, err, kinda a lot...it was nice to get it out though...

Hmm, my P.E. teacher told me I could run to her to talk but Idk...Can I?

I'm realting on a major scale here. I've always been afraid to tell people what I'm really feeling and thinking, because I'm afraid of sounding like a broken record, or eing called emotional. I do it a lot to dodge the "crazy b***h" stigma. I've had friends before who have said I could come to them with anything, but when I came to them to talk, they would either make excuses, roll thier eyes, or back away slowly, depending on what I opened up about. So, I just gave up on letting them know...until I broke down in front of someone I barely knew. Even worse, turns out he was good friends with the guy I was seeing at the time and everything I said got back to him.

So thats actually why I use Gaia in the first place. nobody knows me here, and I can talk to other weird people. I can use life issues if I'm vexed, and I can blurt out all my emo tears in my journal.

Feral Rogue

23,375 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
It is because you are use to getting undesirable results when you did share your feelings with other people. The more you hang out with people that nurture you being able to be yourself completely and the less you hang out with those who don't the less likely you are to bottle it up. The only reason i say this is from experience. I still have difficulty sharing my feelings a lot of the time but i am slowly getting better.
Personally, the reason I bottle up my emotions is because displaying them opens you up for ridicule. Showing that you're upset means you're at least a little passionate about something, which tends to be looked down upon. It's easier not to deal with that sort of thing, so I just pretend I don't care about anything.

Wheezing Smoker

CH1YO
Sheedo
CH1YO

Don't be confusin' your rhetoric now.
I have friends who do it because they think feelings are irrational.
Endep
CH1YO
Sheedo
CH1YO

I would never.
Endep
CH1YO
Sheedo
CH1YO

CH1YO is quite correct here. I could explain why, but that would ruin the mystery, so I'm not sure if it is wise.

6,250 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
The Willow Of Darkness
Endep
CH1YO
Sheedo
CH1YO

CH1YO is quite correct here. I could explain why, but that would ruin the mystery, so I'm not sure if it is wise.

sweatdrop

6,250 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Sounds like most people keep their feelings bottled up here. Interesting. some say its because you appear to be "weak", while others say it makes you look "emotional". In either case, do you suppose the feelings that you would consider bottling up are what make you who you are? I should probably make t more clear sweatdrop Do you think keeping what makes you the person you are (because most of our emotions are what represent us and some are what sets us apart, but thats just how i think of it) inside and out of sight is healthy?

Lets try some example (from my own experience of course):

1. I hated the way my friends just jumped from one relationship to another without giving it much though on the other persons feelings, but i didnt say anything because i feared they would think of me as being too up-tight (which i am most of the time).

2. My feelings on having a BF. My roomates once talked about gays, bi-sexuals etc. and said some pretty mean things. I said nothing at the time, afraid to show emotions that would otherwise show them I was bi-sexual for fear of ridicule.

3. Observing people who contradict what they say. A friend of mine used to tell me "I always help those in need" When I approached him and asked if he could help me with taking me to the doctor (i have a bad leg right now) he said no "I am not a chaffuer" I could have brough up what he had said to me, but was afraid to let him know how i felt about it cause he might stop being my friend.

For the first example, I am up-tight, and continue to be so around friends even when they want to be reckless. For the second one, I am bi-sexual, but hardly talk about the subject with any of the real life people i know due to being an outcast. For the third, what others perceive themselves to be and yet not being that way. I usually try not to point out their faults for fear of losing them as friends.

Yet all these feelings and emotions are what make me who i am. And so, once again, do you think you are supressing your true self by bottling up the emotions you say may make others see you as weak and emotional? Mind you, not everyone is like this. Some people can be themselves and still bottle up emotions, but I believe, and once again its just me saying this, emtions are what make some people who they are. So what do you think?

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

13,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jack-pot 100
I bottle up every emotion I have. I am afraid people will see me as too happy, too sad..etc. It is far much easier to be one emotion all the time. I usually cut or bite the outside skin of my index finger to deal with feelings. That seems to dissolve the bottled feelings.

4,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I usually bottle my feelings- but other people have privacy in their minds, and what they think is that they're cautious of what others acknowledge of their inner emotions. I bottle up my feelings because I think that no one needs to know how hurt I am on the inside.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff