Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mega Noob

8,600 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Megathread 100
CandiedSteel
midnight_angel628
I'm thinking of researching this. It may have some psychological reasoning behind it. This could be an interesting study for college. Maybe I could change things. I just hate how... all it takes is one time. I thought about this when I was thinking about the evaluation surveys for our professors at the end of the semester. It's like 25 questions, with bubbles, on a scale of 1 to 5 and all I could think about was my current teacher who I would love to give all 5's at this point (halfway through the semester) but I realized that all it takes is ONE BAD DAY for her to get all 1's and 2's. That's sad. We struggle for normal. I hate that.

Well, it is psychological, since it only pertains to people individually.
It's essentially the brain's way of saying, "CAUTION, DANGER, STAY AWAY".
Like I mentioned earlier, are you willing to keep looking towards the positive in that person, if that person has betrayed you?
For instance, like that college group of friends you mentioned, they were obviously intimidated and upset by that person, and they do not want to stick around someone who makes them upset and/or scared.

Nobody is for sure if the person will change after he/she is 'corrected' or aware of his/her 'mistake'.
From first-hand experience, growing up in that very patient environment, there is nothing wrong with losing trust 'that one time', actually, I think it is smart to at least be wary of that person who broke your trust, or make you uncomfortable.
It is the brain's way of saying that this person might be dangerous, let's be cautious of that person, in order to protect yourself.

That may be the thought process of a traumatized victim of something, but I think it's more due to social media and people being less exposed to real life situations and interactions. People get so used to hiding behind a screen, animosity makes them feel protected, and that's why anything that isn't flowers and sunshine is... repulsive to them. Such a drastic increase in social disorders lately. I just gave two theories, but I don't think that people are just naturally paranoid. There's gotta be a reason for it. Finding out why people are overly sensitive or have a world-sized personal space is one thing... but figuring out how you can change them is another.

Heroic Senshi

10,950 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
midnight_angel628
CandiedSteel
midnight_angel628
I'm thinking of researching this. It may have some psychological reasoning behind it. This could be an interesting study for college. Maybe I could change things. I just hate how... all it takes is one time. I thought about this when I was thinking about the evaluation surveys for our professors at the end of the semester. It's like 25 questions, with bubbles, on a scale of 1 to 5 and all I could think about was my current teacher who I would love to give all 5's at this point (halfway through the semester) but I realized that all it takes is ONE BAD DAY for her to get all 1's and 2's. That's sad. We struggle for normal. I hate that.

Well, it is psychological, since it only pertains to people individually.
It's essentially the brain's way of saying, "CAUTION, DANGER, STAY AWAY".
Like I mentioned earlier, are you willing to keep looking towards the positive in that person, if that person has betrayed you?
For instance, like that college group of friends you mentioned, they were obviously intimidated and upset by that person, and they do not want to stick around someone who makes them upset and/or scared.

Nobody is for sure if the person will change after he/she is 'corrected' or aware of his/her 'mistake'.
From first-hand experience, growing up in that very patient environment, there is nothing wrong with losing trust 'that one time', actually, I think it is smart to at least be wary of that person who broke your trust, or make you uncomfortable.
It is the brain's way of saying that this person might be dangerous, let's be cautious of that person, in order to protect yourself.

That may be the thought process of a traumatized victim of something, but I think it's more due to social media and people being less exposed to real life situations and interactions. People get so used to hiding behind a screen, animosity makes them feel protected, and that's why anything that isn't flowers and sunshine is... repulsive to them. Such a drastic increase in social disorders lately. I just gave two theories, but I don't think that people are just naturally paranoid. There's gotta be a reason for it. Finding out why people are overly sensitive or have a world-sized personal space is one thing... but figuring out how you can change them is another.

So instead of empathizing with and helping traumatized victims, who were "exposed to real life situations and interactions", we just assume that their heads are screwed on funny for being cautious, and that will fix this 'searching for negativity' problem?
If that even is a problem.

You're right, media has a huge impact on what people see and hear, especially those with great access to it, like us.
People with access like us, can choose what to see and hear, and online tracking and advertising companies specify even more what we see and hear in order to market to us.
We are given freedom, at least in the U.S., to watch, hear, anything we'd like, which may seem like those who must interact outside their comfort zones seem 'abnormal'.

I've met people who became paranoid due to social interactions and situations, I have become somewhat 'paranoid' because of certain interactions and situations.
I'm sure people become paranoid or cautious because of social interactions and situations.
No one should be forced to be in those situations, if they are not comfortable. It will not make them feel better, unless they want to try.
There is nothing wrong with being cautious. Those who think that caution is a form of pessimism, are likely ignorant themselves, or have lived privileged lives to not be able to empathize with others who do not have those same privileges.
Who wants to interact with others who will not even listen to their strife, much less tolerate it?

Besides, if so many people are experiencing 'social awkwardness', then it means that this is a social issue.
Social issues cannot be solved individually, 'correcting' the socially dysfunctional individuals.
Everyone in the society must change, both the awkward and the 'normal', or the social issue will not go away.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff