Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Phantom

Thanatophobia, fear of death itself. To the point of freezing terror or screams on my part. I do NOT have necrophobia-- or a fear of dead things/imagery. It's just the idea of dying, and the great fear of the unknown/non-existence in relation to death. It's only considered irrational because if I DON'T exist, there is no fear/pain/etc.

Space Paranoids
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - fear of long words. No joke. I memorized how to spell it years ago
That spelling is wrong.
At least it's not hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. @.@ The most ironic fear in existence...the fear of long words. XD

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

Shameless Giver

7,150 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Aeldra Jayden
GuardGirlForLife
So, a while back I was thinking about an interesting "fear" I have about drinking alcohol(long story) and I learned that there's actually a name for it. Dipsophobia.

I didn't really know what to make of it so I did some more research on it and found that people woth dipsophobia experience anxiety about addiction to alcohol and the effect this addiction can have on their body.

So, do you know of any officially sanctioned Latin worded fears about alcohol in regard to being afraid of drinking because you don't know what kind (like friendly, angry, sad, violent) of drunk you'd be? Because the lack of that knowledge for me is what makes alcohol go on my "never try" list.

I didn't find any subcategories of this honestly, but I'll look.

Invisible Prophet

GuardGirlForLife
Aeldra Jayden
GuardGirlForLife
So, a while back I was thinking about an interesting "fear" I have about drinking alcohol(long story) and I learned that there's actually a name for it. Dipsophobia.

I didn't really know what to make of it so I did some more research on it and found that people woth dipsophobia experience anxiety about addiction to alcohol and the effect this addiction can have on their body.

So, do you know of any officially sanctioned Latin worded fears about alcohol in regard to being afraid of drinking because you don't know what kind (like friendly, angry, sad, violent) of drunk you'd be? Because the lack of that knowledge for me is what makes alcohol go on my "never try" list.

I didn't find any subcategories of this honestly, but I'll look.

Thanks.

Liberal Shopper

5,600 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Champion 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Flying insects. Ugh, I hate those.
And my boyfriend has a phobia of guns.
Believe it or not I actually have a fear of talking on the phone (don't know if there's a name for it or not). I'm okay talking with people over any method of communication except the darned phone, go figure.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Aeldra Jayden
Pseudo-Onkelos
Space Paranoids
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - fear of long words. No joke. I memorized how to spell it years ago

That isn't a real phobia.

Even if only one person is afraid of it, it's a real phobia.
I think he means the name. It was made for more humorous purposes than to be a real phobia. I am sure there are people who fear long words, but I would expect that the fear has a different name than that when people are getting treated for it. On looking it up, I find a word that is only half that one but means the same thing-sesquipedaliophobia

Invisible Prophet

AliKat1988
Aeldra Jayden
Pseudo-Onkelos
Space Paranoids

That isn't a real phobia.

Even if only one person is afraid of it, it's a real phobia.
I think he means the name. It was made for more humorous purposes than to be a real phobia. I am sure there are people who fear long words, but I would expect that the fear has a different name than that when people are getting treated for it. On looking it up, I find a word that is only half that one but means the same thing-sesquipedaliophobia

Ah. I was a tad bit confused by his/her wording.

Enduring Explorer

I have catoptrophobia, which is a fear of mirrors. It's not constant, but sometimes I'll suddenly be seized by the conviction that if I look at the mirror, I'll see something other than what should be reflected there. At other times I can't take my eyes off of the mirror, because I feel like the moment I look away my reflection will start acting independently. It's frustrating because I don't for a moment believe it is possible, but phobias scoff at rational thought.
I'm not sure if it's a phobia, or just a relgular fear, but foreign blood, I can NOT look at it, and am afraid of touching somone elses blood in fear that something might happen to me(get sick or something). I'm fine if its on tv and someone is beeding, but in real life I can NOT look at it at all, or I'll start to feel faint and light hedaded, I always have to turn away from it, and I wouldn't dare go near someone whose bleeding, even if its a small cut, and I atually walked away from someone who cut herself(accdently) with a knife cause I didn't want to see or be around it.

Other weird fears(not pobias)I have: Of eleveator/bus doors closing on me, falling down the stairs(yea, I usally go slow down them and have to hang on to a rail.), of upsetting someone/stranger yelling at me, other peoples germs(I'm not picking up a tissue if its not mine stare ), things pokeing in me, and I think thats it. sweatdrop
I have an intense phobia of the legs of bugs touching my skin. gonk

And the world ending. gonk

Kaptain K Rool's Husband

Floppy Member

It's not a phobia, but I hate opening doors that I'm unfamiliar with because I'm worried they're going to be locked and I'll look like an idiot for trying to open the wrong door.

Quotable Hunter

2,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
Arachnophobia Arachnophobia Arachnophobia Arachnophobia Arachnophobia Arachnophobia Arachnophobia Arachnophobia Arachnophobia Arachnophobia Arachnophobia Arachnophobia Arachnophobia Arachnophobia Arachnophobia!!! I am so massively terrified of spiders and daddy long-legs (I know they arent spiders BUT THEY LOOK THE SAME! sorta) If i find a spider in my room i will freak out and i won't go in my room for a whole day. If i find one in my BED, i scream, i run away, i almost start crying, hyperventilating, the whole shebang!

Aaaand Mycophobia, the fear of mold. Like if i open a yoghurt container and find it totally mouldy (which happens ALOT) i will calmly put the lid back on it, put it back in the fridge, and the freak the ******** out. I can't handle it AT ALL.

And blood tests! Like getting blood drawn and stuff. Yikes. I've been really sick lately and the doctors don't know what's wrong with me so i had to get all these blood tests and now i'm traumatized for life. I'm slightly afraid of needles too because of it haha.

And did i mention spiders?

ninja

Quotable Hunter

2,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
The Fisher Queen
I have catoptrophobia, which is a fear of mirrors. It's not constant, but sometimes I'll suddenly be seized by the conviction that if I look at the mirror, I'll see something other than what should be reflected there. At other times I can't take my eyes off of the mirror, because I feel like the moment I look away my reflection will start acting independently. It's frustrating because I don't for a moment believe it is possible, but phobias scoff at rational thought.

That is fear itself is really scary. I got the heebee jeebies when i read that! I feel for you, comrade.

Shameless Prophet

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Courtesy of the Far Side.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces