Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Dabbler

I've got hydrophobia. I may have arachnophobia, but I seem to have a huge paranoia of spiders rather than a fear, and it's nowhere near as strong as my hydrophobia (in which I will break down and do rash things if exposed to a trigger).

As for my thoughts about phobias, I think people overuse the term. It's common to be scared of something. It's not nearly as common to have a fear severe enough to be labeled a disorder. It seems as if everyone's calling a simple fear a phobia.

Adored Admirer

Song of the Century
I've got hydrophobia. I may have arachnophobia, but I seem to have a huge paranoia of spiders rather than a fear, and it's nowhere near as strong as my hydrophobia (in which I will break down and do rash things if exposed to a trigger).

As for my thoughts about phobias, I think people overuse the term. It's common to be scared of something. It's not nearly as common to have a fear severe enough to be labeled a disorder. It seems as if everyone's calling a simple fear a phobia.

Hydrophobia has two meanings.

Phobia means fear. If I was Greek, I would use phobos.

Dapper Dabbler

Pseudo-Onkelos
Hydrophobia has two meanings.

I was unaware of this. I am frequently being told by people that, whether I use hydrophobia or aquaphobia, the correct term is the other one. I alternate between the two. But yes, I realize your point and was unaware it is a term for rabies.

Quote:
Phobia means fear. If I was Greek, I would use phobos.

Typically phobia tends to mean an irrational, severe aversion, as it tends to be used in terms of psychology.

Adored Admirer

Song of the Century
I was unaware of this. I am frequently being told by people that, whether I use hydrophobia or aquaphobia, the correct term is the other one. I alternate between the two. But yes, I realize your point and was unaware it is a term for rabies.

I prefer the former, since "aqua" is Latin.

Song of the Century
Typically phobia tends to mean an irrational, severe aversion, as it tends to be used in terms of psychology.

I know. I'm pulling your leg.

Dapper Dabbler

Pseudo-Onkelos
I prefer the former, since "aqua" is Latin.

Multiple websites agree with you, yet Wikipedia disagrees. Supposedly "aquaphobia" refers to regular water while "hydrophobia" nowadays refers to drinking water.
I can actually understand the Dipsophobia since I had an alcoholic father. Though I got 'lucky' in the sense of not being able to drink to worry about it.

Though my previous phobias would be Arachnophobia, Altophobia and Socialphobia. Though I've managed to face the first and last enough to reduce it to a fear. Where as heights, I have faced to a certain degree, like going up a few steps of a ladder, looking over the edge of stairs, etc. Doesn't help when you're tall to begin with, makes it look further down.

My Arachnophobia was the worst as a child. I was terrified of unrealistic plastic spiders. The smallest spider would send me running and screaming. When I got over other mental issues I was able to have to confidence to face it. I even managed to face one of my worst nightmares, my room once had a lot and I mean at least 20-30 tiny little spiders hanging from my room. These days I can handle any that's small to medium, throw in a huntsman and I'll be frozen in fear.

I do have plenty of irrational fears but not severe enough to be a phobia. Also plenty of 'normal' fears.

Adored Admirer

Song of the Century
Multiple websites agree with you, yet Wikipedia disagrees. Supposedly "aquaphobia" refers to regular water while "hydrophobia" nowadays refers to drinking water.

Where?

Dapper Dabbler

Pseudo-Onkelos
Song of the Century

Where?

Needs citation, but it's on the page.

From searching the internet and my own experiences, lots of individuals with a fear of water have no issues with drinking water or falling water (rain/showers), but do have issues with contained water (which they aren't drinking) or large amounts of water, so there does appear to be a distinction. There's a large amount of websites for either term relating to the same thing.

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
I have trypophobia, which is the fear of cluster of holes. I don't think it's considered an official phobia, but I suspect it stems from some sort of evolutionary urge to avoid things that look like disease. Even the word "cluster" makes my skin crawl.
I am horrendously scared of bees and wasps. It's to the point where I avoid flowers because I know they attract them.

It's not even fear of the stinging, though. It's the buzzing noise.
I don't even know what you would call that.

annnd anything involving or resembling mold.
neutral

Girl-Crazy Exhibitionist

4,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Doxophobia- Fear of expressing opinions or of receiving praise

This sounds like it would be from someone who does'nt acknoweledge his/her own value or self worth. I've never heard of it before honestly.

You'd think most people would enjoy praise sweatdrop

Sparkly Gekko

4,800 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Team Jacob 100
yinter
I am horrendously scared of bees and wasps. It's to the point where I avoid flowers because I know they attract them.

neutral

There is Spheksophobia which is a fear of wasps. Did you ever have an unfortunate encounter with a bee/wasp when you were younger? That could be a reason why.
NessaKing93
yinter

neutral

There is Spheksophobia which is a fear of wasps. Did you ever have an unfortunate encounter with a bee/wasp when you were younger? That could be a reason why.

that's the thing. I lived in a city, so there were none.
yinter

Penicillin?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces