Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Vampire

9,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
redsoles
Personally, i think underage sex isn't right. You think you're ready for it but you aren't.

Underage sex is amoral, its not right or wrong. You may think its a fine or bad idea, but thats it.
Prove it. Define "ready". I am no more ready for sex than I was at 15, I know that I am fine with casual sex, I don't care about having an emotional relationship, and I know everything I need to know about protection against pregnancy & STIs. Underage sex is over-rated, its not that big of a deal.
What do you think about all these people still in the age range for statuatory whether it be by age comparison or simply being too young by legal terms in general?
I know the law, I'm not about to break it. I wouldn't sleep with someone who could be labled a sex offender for it.

Is it right that we have these laws in place?
They have their purposes, but the government deciding who is and isn't ready for sex based on age is idiotic.

Should more be done to prevent sex in youth?
Ha funny. Teaching abstinence is the dumbest thing you can do. Teen sex is gonna happen, you might as well help them be ready for it.

Are these young high school students and below mentally, physically, and financially prepared to deal with the consequences of their sexual actions?
I believe I am. I know the risks, my parents know I'm sexually active, and I am on birth control. My body is ready physically. Financially no. I know if I get pregnant I can't have the child, my health proves that I can't. This is a fact my parents also know.

Do you follow the research stating that these people are not prepared to make such decisions?
Adults are allowed to make their own mistakes, shouldn't I be allowed to as well?
Habibati
i think it should be illegal to be 13 and under to have any form of sex

It is...at least in my country. I mean, an adult having sex with a twelve year old would get lynched, but two twelve year olds having sex would just be een as kids messing around.#

As to the general topic, teaching only abstinence is idiotic. If kids don't have all the facts and have sex without knowledge of contraception or anything, it is the parent's fault, in my opinion. Good sex education is very important for people to make informed decisions.

Quote:
Is it right that we have these laws in place?
They have their purposes, but the government deciding who is and isn't ready for sex based on age is idiotic.

I suppose they have to draw a line somewhere. I agree, though. A 15 year old may be much more emotionally able to deal with a sexual relationship than a 21 year old. It depends on so many things, like family/relationship background and individual maturity and education.
I like where you guys are going with this so I'm gonna try and spin this another way. There seems to be a lot of negative opinion's of the government's control over the legal age of consent. While I agree that it seems like there should be more power amidst the people to decide these issues, there must also be mentioned the other side.

Why do we hire these people, have training programs, and pay them to do a job if they weren't the best suited for the job they do? The people that make these legislations spend their lives learning the most they can about the issues at hand. To make a applicable comparison, imagine if instead of having a pastor or other spiritual leader guide the church in its session, a random hobo who knows very little or anything at all about the religion. Government officials who pass the laws are elected by us, the people albeit usually rather indirect. Are you saying that children should have the right to decide legislation?

Another issue, it has been repeatedly stated that there is more of a person to person determinant than age in emotional maturity. While I will agree that to a lesser degree this is true, I must also bring up the well researched psychological study of the differences in adult and teenage minds. It's just a fact that teenagers, while old enough to recognize many different things going on in the world around them, interpret things very differently than adults and are far more prone to impulsive and often drastic behavior. If there weren't so great a risk involved, parents wouldn't have seen it fit to push for such legislation. Believe it or not, your parents most likely aren't prudish monsters freaking out because their kid is having more sex than them. The laws were enacted to better defend the children who can't handle the ramifications of their sexual actions such as teenage pregnancy. I'm not saying all teenagers at a certain age aren't emotionally sound, but especially with the confusing array of social bombardments directing kids to do things adults do without knowing why adults do them, parents do have to do their job. That's what parental love is all about. Discuss
*shrugs* if its consensual sex between two minors? and they're both at least like 14? i don't really have a problem with it. any younger then that and i'm not sure they really understand the consequences of it.
Crimson_Hellion
I like where you guys are going with this so I'm gonna try and spin this another way. There seems to be a lot of negative opinion's of the government's control over the legal age of consent. While I agree that it seems like there should be more power amidst the people to decide these issues, there must also be mentioned the other side.

Why do we hire these people, have training programs, and pay them to do a job if they weren't the best suited for the job they do? The people that make these legislations spend their lives learning the most they can about the issues at hand. To make a applicable comparison, imagine if instead of having a pastor or other spiritual leader guide the church in its session, a random hobo who knows very little or anything at all about the religion. Government officials who pass the laws are elected by us, the people albeit usually rather indirect. Are you saying that children should have the right to decide legislation?

Another issue, it has been repeatedly stated that there is more of a person to person determinant than age in emotional maturity. While I will agree that to a lesser degree this is true, I must also bring up the well researched psychological study of the differences in adult and teenage minds. It's just a fact that teenagers, while old enough to recognize many different things going on in the world around them, interpret things very differently than adults and are far more prone to impulsive and often drastic behavior. If there weren't so great a risk involved, parents wouldn't have seen it fit to push for such legislation. Believe it or not, your parents most likely aren't prudish monsters freaking out because their kid is having more sex than them. The laws were enacted to better defend the children who can't handle the ramifications of their sexual actions such as teenage pregnancy. I'm not saying all teenagers at a certain age aren't emotionally sound, but especially with the confusing array of social bombardments directing kids to do things adults do without knowing why adults do them, parents do have to do their job. That's what parental love is all about. Discuss
If your talking about the US the majority of people who get elected aren't all that competent. There are plenty of people out there who could do a much better job then some of the politicians, and don't get elected because they don't have the money or connections to campaign with.
Crimson_Hellion

To be honest, I think the UK's age of consent (16 years) is about right. As for the emotional maturity bit, it is not just neurological factors that can affect this. As I said, things like education and previous experience in non-sexual relationships can influence this too. Laws like this need to be in place to protect children, but when it comes to a 15 year old and a 16 year old having sex, it is such a grey area that discretion muct be used.
I agree with a number of people on here who say that teenage sex will happen. End of. I also think there should be less of a stigma on sex as a whole. I know several people my age of whom got no parental guidance about sex and STDs contraception etc.

I think if the lunatics in charge want to cut back on STD transmission rates and teenage pregnancies then they need to make it alot easier to get contraception. To the best of my knowledge, in the UK, you have to sign a form to get free condoms and other contraception. I also believe that these services are directed at over 16s. It took alot to go to a health surgery to the family plannign palce and get the condoms. Once upon a time i would not have been able to do that. Period.

Thus I propose that the governments set up walk in clinics or 'dispenseries' or even free macines in public toilets where people can get contraceptives. There is absolutely no point denying that it happens or trying to stop it. Thorough education and a change in how we view teen/underage sex would also help.

Thoughts on what I've mentioned?

Bibliophile

23,850 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Hero 100
ryan2390
To the best of my knowledge, in the UK, you have to sign a form to get free condoms and other contraception.

You don't have to sign a form to get free condoms - in many places you can just walk in and grab them. You do have to sign a prescription to get hormonal birth control though, if that's what you meant.

Quote:
I also believe that these services are directed at over 16s.

Nope, anyone (even if they're under the age of consent, which is 16) can access free contraception on the NHS - it's even exempt from prescription charges. If you're under 16, all you need is for your GP to believe that you know what you're doing.

Quote:
Thus I propose that the governments set up walk in clinics or 'dispenseries' or even free macines in public toilets where people can get contraceptives.

While I agree with the free walk-in clinics, and 'dispenseries'/machines for condoms, I don't think hormonal contraception should be accessable without first having seen a doctor or nurse. They need to be readily available, yes, but some women can't take hormonal contraception for various health reasons. I also feel that women/girls using hormonal contraception need an opportunity to discuss with a health professional the advantages and disadvantages of their method, what can interfere with it etc. and ask any questions they may have.

Quote:
There is absolutely no point denying that it happens or trying to stop it. Thorough education and a change in how we view teen/underage sex would also help.

I completely agree.

@ The OP: Personally, I feel that an age of consent of 18 is a little high. I much prefer 16, which is what it is where I am. And I feel that it's right that the government has an age of consent in order to protect the vulnerable. There needs to be a line drawn somwhere. But discretion really needs to be used when applying the law: a 16-year-old guy having sex with his 15-and-a-half-year-old girlfriend is massively different to a 40-year-old having sex with a 13-year-old.
Ladybird Sauce
ryan2390
To the best of my knowledge, in the UK, you have to sign a form to get free condoms and other contraception.

You don't have to sign a form to get free condoms - in many places you can just walk in and grab them. You do have to sign a prescription to get hormonal birth control though, if that's what you meant.

I had to the first time round. It is also my understanding that it is the same at a family planning place where I live now.

Quote:
Thus I propose that the governments set up walk in clinics or 'dispenseries' or even free macines in public toilets where people can get contraceptives.

Quote:

While I agree with the free walk-in clinics, and 'dispenseries'/machines for condoms, I don't think hormonal contraception should be accessable without first having seen a doctor or nurse. They need to be readily available, yes, but some women can't take hormonal contraception for various health reasons. I also feel that women/girls using hormonal contraception need an opportunity to discuss with a health professional the advantages and disadvantages of their method, what can interfere with it etc. and ask any questions they may have.

By this I meant just condoms

=]
1955_cadillac
I don't believe anybody under the age of 18 is ready to have sex.
They make the mistake of believing that if they have sex, they will be together forever, and it only proves their love for each other. Reality is, they most often break up within the next year, and as they get older, they realise that having sex at 13 with someone they barely remember wasn't such a crash hot idea after all.

I started dating at 15, by choice. I was 'asked out' by a succession of boys from when I was 12 until I was about 15, when I met the one boy that appealed to me. He was intelligent, sensitive, courageous, genteel, respectful and kind.
We became best friends within a week, and eventually he confessed feelings for me, and asked me on a date.
I accepted, but told him first that I considered relationships to be treated as serious from the very start, and if he wanted to go down the road of sex, date for a few months, then split and find someone else, he had better look elsewhere for a girl.
I said I wasn't physically or emotionally ready for sex, and wouldn't want to have sex until I was 100% certain that the relationship would be a very long one, and that I was genuinely loved.
He agreed, said he respected that, he loved me, and would prove that by waiting until I was ready.

We were almost 19 and were engaged before we had sex for the first time, and it was something I could be, and am, intensely proud about.

7 years together, and our lack of sexual pressure in the beginning only made us stronger.
We have no trust issues or need to wonder if we're worse then the other's previous lovers...because we have no previous lovers.
We had almost 4 years to build a strong base of trust, friendship, love and respect before we made the final decision.

Familiar Wolf

well i can imagine for kids that are 17 and want to have sex very badly out of love.. that they dont have to worry about this rule.. worrying about that would be stupid

Bibliophile

23,850 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Hero 100
ryan2390
I had to the first time round. It is also my understanding that it is the same at a family planning place where I live now.

Really? Oh, never heard of that. That seems a bit of an odd thing to have to do. confused

ryan2390
Quote:

Quote:

By this I meant just condoms

=]

Ah, ok. I agree then. 3nodding

the reason there is such a problem on gaia with the sex age limit is because it's full of NASTY CREEPY DUDES

kids are going to have sex
so
there should be more sexual education

i don't understand why people don't have enough common sense to see that knowledge is the answer to all of their problems

not emotions
or stupid a** beliefs and morals
Unfortunately, this is one of those things that depends entirely on the ethical viewpoint of the person involved. If Person X Believes sex is just a physical bonding activity, and does not translate to "I WANT TO BE WIT YOU FOR EVA!", then he will obviously have different opinions and sexual habits to person Y who is a devout Christian and waits for the right person to come along because they want to make is special. I'm the former, and I have every respect for those who believe in the latter, as long as they don't force their beliefs onto me. Sex should mean a little something, but to be honest, the powers of science and human rationality have brought sex to the point where the consequences are all but banished, and society no longer cares.

Just my two pennies...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces