Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I'd like to hear informed, or at least well thought out responses to the idea of sex under the age of 18. Now I know there may be an urge to respond emotionally to this issue in a way that may be hurtful or challenge either side so I'm going to stay neutral and silent in my own opinions until after I've seen some genuine discussion on the issue go. What do you think about all these people still in the age range for statuatory whether it be by age comparison or simply being too young by legal terms in general? Is it right that we have these laws in place? Should more be done to prevent sex in youth? Are these young high school students and below mentally, physically, and financially prepared to deal with the consequences of their sexual actions? Do you follow the research stating that these people are not prepared to make such decisions? It has been confirmed that teenagers react differently to stimuli both sexually and emotionally than most adults.

Go ahead and discuss
You have to wait until eighteen in your country?

Sucks to be you!
Crimson_Hellion
So I'd like to hear informed, or at least well thought out responses to the idea of sex under the age of 18. Now I know there may be an urge to respond emotionally to this issue in a way that may be hurtful or challenge either side so I'm going to stay neutral and silent in my own opinions until after I've seen some genuine discussion on the issue go. What do you think about all these people still in the age range for statuatory whether it be by age comparison or simply being too young by legal terms in general? Is it right that we have these laws in place? Should more be done to prevent sex in youth? Are these young high school students and below mentally, physically, and financially prepared to deal with the consequences of their sexual actions? Do you follow the research stating that these people are not prepared to make such decisions? It has been confirmed that teenagers react differently to stimuli both sexually and emotionally than most adults.

Go ahead and discuss

I would say its solely an emotional/financial issue

But i believe it is mainly about being unprepared for the consequences
The actual legal age of consent varies from state to state in the U.S. Say for instance in my home state of Hawaii, the age is 16 for legality with an increase to 18 if the partner is beyond 21 I believe. Exactly what stipulations are enforced vary quite a great deal, but in general they tend to circle around 16 being legal. I guess part of what I want to hear from you guys is do you think the people who say they're ready at 16 and below really are ready.
I don't believe anybody under the age of 18 is ready to have sex.
They make the mistake of believing that if they have sex, they will be together forever, and it only proves their love for each other. Reality is, they most often break up within the next year, and as they get older, they realise that having sex at 13 with someone they barely remember wasn't such a crash hot idea after all.

I started dating at 15, by choice. I was 'asked out' by a succession of boys from when I was 12 until I was about 15, when I met the one boy that appealed to me. He was intelligent, sensitive, courageous, genteel, respectful and kind.
We became best friends within a week, and eventually he confessed feelings for me, and asked me on a date.
I accepted, but told him first that I considered relationships to be treated as serious from the very start, and if he wanted to go down the road of sex, date for a few months, then split and find someone else, he had better look elsewhere for a girl.
I said I wasn't physically or emotionally ready for sex, and wouldn't want to have sex until I was 100% certain that the relationship would be a very long one, and that I was genuinely loved.
He agreed, said he respected that, he loved me, and would prove that by waiting until I was ready.

We were almost 19 and were engaged before we had sex for the first time, and it was something I could be, and am, intensely proud about.

7 years together, and our lack of sexual pressure in the beginning only made us stronger.
We have no trust issues or need to wonder if we're worse then the other's previous lovers...because we have no previous lovers.
We had almost 4 years to build a strong base of trust, friendship, love and respect before we made the final decision.
Generally, it's a bad idea for kids under 18 to have sex, since most of them just want to have sex to lose their virginity, and they're not worried about the consequences.

I was the same way, until I met my current girlfriend, whom I have been dating for almost two years now. A few months in, I'd say about three or four, we mutually decided to have sex, both accepting that there might be consequences behind our actions. Not only was the sex amazing, it made us closer than ever.
Mahi_Kali

I would say its solely an emotional/financial issue

But i believe it is mainly about being unprepared for the consequences

The above is what appears to be a mindset that was shaped by abstinence education.

Teen sex, like it or not, is a reality.
However, select groups, in the states at least, seek to just stamp it out and tell children that birth control is ineffective.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Psg1EW8zOk&feature=fvsr
Well I'm not a big proponent of the abstinence only teaching or anything that can be misleading. I was actually taught by a nervous DCE (director of Christian Education) who only very recently had lost his virginity to his then wife. I'm not going to pretend I'm ignorant and say sex doesn't happen in younger teens, but more should be done to prevent these kids from making such stupid decisions. It's not out of jealousy or anything else, but rather the fact that I care about people too much to want them to ruin their lives by having a baby early or the even bigger problem in my mind of over-sexualizing the idea of love. I think that's part of what's responsible for the increase in divorce rates in America. With sex being conceptualized as love by youth, so much pressure is put on their sexuality that they lose the whole part of love that practiced patience and bred understanding and commitment.

Quotable Gawker

7,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Team Jacob 100
Just saying you have to be mature first. I dont mind sex if your under 18. Im 17 and i have a kid. ya daddadada your not ready for one just hear me out.

I have known my bf since 3rd grade, have been best friends since then, dated in 6th grade and in 12th grade we had sex. I think that is pretty good to last 6 years in a relationship. At 17 the age i am at now, we had a child. My bf has a house and job, where our daughter lives until i am 18 then im moving in with them to. She is 6 months and gorgous.

Note half of america isnt as lucky to have this but i do. so say what you will, i love my life,
Hard to say overall. Most teenagers tend to be immature (allow me to present Exhibit A: The Chatter Box Forum, and every post about Twilight in existence), and for the most part have their opinions guided by popular culture rather than parents/role models.

For better or for worse, pop culture tends to have a positive, if not glorified, image of rampant sexuality and indiscriminate sexual behavior in adults. And teens want to feel grown up. Ergo, you tend to get rampant sexual activity in teens.

If it were my kids, I wouldn't want them to have sex until they're out of the house and off to college.
i think it should be illegal to be 13 and under to have any form of sex

Invisible Phantom

8,100 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I think if they want to prove anything, it should be to prove that they can wait.
It's not really that difficult.
Its not teen sex that is a big deal IMO. Its emotional and spiritual maturity. Sex is a big step emotionally, and most all teens will have problems adjusting and feeling ok in some ways. Still its live and learn, if teens care about themselves enough they out to continue maturing and learning about sex, even as they have it. I think its ok to have sex as a teen. Still sex is an intimate act, so I strongly suggest having sex with a significant other. Its normal to be scared of sex, and many teens are vulnerable to getting addicted to sex in some way, IMO. Still its good to want to explore sex. I suggest all teens be willing to explore sex to some degree.

I had some sex as a teen, with my teen girl friend. And we both still where very mature and took things one step at a time. (often her idea, but sometimes mine). Sex did not change us enough to make us dishonest. If anything we were more honest and happier. Although a lot guys are not like that or girls. I don't think sex was the issue, it was how they grew up. I now reject girls that want to just have sex with me, cause I have sex out of caring and friendship. crying crying I wish things were not so complicated sometimes, still glad sex is so deep.
What do you think about all these people still in the age range for statutory whether it be by age comparison or simply being too young by legal terms in general?
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. But I think that if you're like 17, and you have sex with someone who is 19, technically that's illegal, but I don't get why. I mean, technically, one is an adult, but they are still just kids. And if you're both 17 or younger, I don't see whats wrong with that.

Is it right that we have these laws in place?
No, I think its rather stupid.

Should more be done to prevent sex in youth?
No, but they should be more educated about protection and how not to get pregnant or get STDs. But I don't see why teenagers shouldn't have sex. Just as long as they are careful about it, and understand the potential consequences, like what if the condom breaks and stuff like that.

Are these young high school students and below mentally, physically, and financially prepared to deal with the consequences of their sexual actions?
Some of them are, some of them aren't. As for financial, there shouldn't be any if they use protection. Physically, it depends, and varies from person to person. Emotionally, it depends on how mature they are mentally, and how old they are mentally. Some people are prepared for sex and some aren't.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games