Welcome to Gaia! ::

Learned this in my physcology class.
Particularly works on males.
Go up to the desired person and insult or criticize something about their physical appearence, then a compliment, all in the same line.
For example:
"That shirt looks dumb on you, but those are awesome shoes"
or "I don't like your hair like that it looks better curly"

Why do you think this works so well? The explanation I got was that people (males in particular) all have such low self confidence that they're always on the verge of emotional break down, and theyre entranced, and want to brefriend you when you say something like this. (Never say anything bad about their character or personality in this particular line; then you just come off as a jack a**.)

What do you think of this, and what it says about human nature?
The fact that it is 99% affective is quite likely untrue. However, this is just saying that males enjoy being complemented right? How insulting someone and then complimenting them helps that is beyond me. However, it is human nature to like someone when they like you. Thus, if you compliment someone, or imply that you like someone, they will like you more.

Who did you hear that "all males have such low self confidence that they're always on the verge of emotional break down" from? That is complete crap, and you should disregard it immediatly. SOME males are like that, but them SOME males are anything.
killd0ll
Go up to the desired person and insult or criticize something about their physical appearence, then a compliment, all in the same line.
For example:

Why do you think this works so well? The explanation I got was that people (males in particular) all have such low self confidence that they're always on the verge of emotional break down, and theyre entranced, and want to brefriend you when you say something like this. (Never say anything bad about their character or personality in this particular line; then you just come off as a jack a**.)

I can only assume, since you learned this in psychology class, that the explanation came from your professor. What I want to know is who explained it to him.
Sort of like how 99% of the time when in a relationship if you keep the woman's self esteem really low, through verbal abuse and other means she's likely to stay with you. Right?
Too lazy to paraphrase at 5am, so I just copied from my textbook.
"The second self-preservation motive is Self-Verification: The desire to have others perceive us as we truly perceive ourselves..Do people who have a negative self-concept want others to share that impression?...Although participants with a positive self-concept chose partners who viewed them in a positive light, a MAJORITY of those with a NEGATIVE self-concept PREFERRED partners who CONFIRMTED their admitted shortcomings. In relationships those with a negative self-concept felt more committed to partners who appraised them UNfavorably."
i also took psychology this semester, i'd reply to that question is that subconsciously human nature is very insecure. I don't think that line will work on many people though, just most but not all, there are always exceptions don't forget... If someone said that line to me, i'd be confused and at least ask the person who told me the line what they find wrong with me or why they said what they said, ugh sorry 4 AM here, so i'm not sure what i'm talking about...
Okay, I know the title of this thread was most likely a troll, but...

No-fail and 99% success rate are mutually exclusive!

7,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
killd0ll

I think that humans are so obsessed with themselves, yet they feel so insignificant as they get older (and realise that they're not in the center of the universe/attention all the time), that they become increasingly desperate. In order to have self worth, a lot of people become very insecure about what ANYONE thinks about them, because one person who pays attention to them is one more in a billion million in the world.

This is where adolescence and teenage years come in. You're being pressured to become more and more of an adult and realise how insignificant you are compared to Everyone Else.

This is a key (and very vulnerable) time in development, because this is where the Self turns inward once again, and in order to establish a meaningful discourse with society/the Self, there must be acceptance and love of the Self. In theory, after this stage, a human being is much less suseptable to the whole "no one loves me" mentality, and will therefore not be fooled by this above approach.

However, a lot of teens will try to (futily) get the faceless "everyone"'s attention, which is why a lot of teens will hurt themselves/try to accel in school/get bad grades/etc. It's their way of saying "look at me! look at me!" for better or worse. They just want to be paid attention to.

So why would you find adults who ALSO fit this characteristic? SIMPLE! Because no one develops (or goes through these emotional/psychological stages) at the same rate or time. This is why you have supposed "mid life crisises". It's because someone goes through a stage a bit late, and it seems "weird" to everyone who has already gone (or has yet to go through) the stage.

So, basically, you're just saying to pick on the vulnerable/spineless people and turn them into your loving and devoted slave. Well, it may work on some people, but others become horrifyingly annoying.

People need to be whole and full in order to balance out a life. You can't just have someone hanging on you for your whole life. It's not healthy for either person. So I say, fine, you can get into a relationship with an emotionally needy person, but for goddsakes, teach them how to care for themselves, or you're just going to be in another fun version of the Abusive Relationship that is so in-vogue these days.
This little technique sounds strangely reminiscent of the "foot in the door" technique. A person asks something of trivial importance, gets the response, and then asks again for something a bit more desired.

Draw your parallels from that.
I don't believe it works on 99%. So I am unsure on the truth in the rest of the post.
Captain_Sipid
Sort of like how 99% of the time when in a relationship if you keep the woman's self esteem really low, through verbal abuse and other means she's likely to stay with you. Right?

Wouldn't know sweatdrop
killd0ll
For example:

I think people would be attracted to the fact that someone is being honest with them all the way... a compliment seems so much more sincere if you prove you are being honest first (i.e. mentioning something you don't like) and if you feel someone is sincerey complimenting you, rather than just saying things to make you like them, you are going to be more attracted to them...
Captain_Sipid

if that is true, the woman is pretty silly, and the person doing it is in need of a severe arse booting....
killd0ll
For example:

pretty cool 3nodding but the guy that i like likes the disses well as a joke maybe cuz he thinks way to high of himself
Ooh, how indirect! I wanna use it now.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces