Welcome to Gaia! ::

Backwoods Bookworm

Are we too obsessed with texting and are we not doing enough in person talking?

Shy Hunter

7,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Member 100
I think it depends on the person. But my impression of the majority of people is yes, that texting takes up too much of how we communicate.

Lovey-girly's Fangirl

Invisible Seeker

38,315 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
p a p e r b a c k i n g
I think it depends on the person. But my impression of the majority of people is yes, that texting takes up too much of how we communicate.

This pretty much sums up my thinking on the subject.

I am biased, though- I am very much an introvert and would rather send a few texts than deal with the actual person most of the time if not just about all the time. It takes a lot less energy to send a few messages than it does to deal with people. That's just me, though. I need a lot less social interaction than your average human.

That being said, I see more and more people glued to a phone and I just can't see it being healthy in the long-term. It's one thing to be actually communicating but the majority of the time it seems as if people are just swapping chatspeak and pictures of themselves. What is the point? xD

Devout Man-Lover

9,700 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
Seeing as I'm usually texting a person I can't see face to face at the time...........

The two paths don't cross.
I prefer face to face interaction a lot more than text messaging.

Face to face > Snail mail > Skype > Phone > Texting

Gaian

Face-2-Face ninja pirate is great until you realize you can just talk to yourself.

6,850 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
[.Bloody Tears.]
Are we too obsessed with texting and are we not doing enough in person talking?

Well... depends on what you're doing. Like... I find texting easier for sexy things (just had a sexy RP by IM recently) that in person talking... but other than that, in person talking is good. sweatdrop

Sparkly Lunatic

Seventy percent of human communication is nonverbal communication. You lose a lot of nonverbal cues texting or IMing someone.
I enjoy texting as much as the next person but I also enjoy talking to someone face to face. Even over the phone is better at times. Texting for me is a great way to send quick little notes, or maybe get a phone number from someone or an address. But for those moments where you might have a lot to say? Why send all that in a text? It's so much easier first of all to call someone but I think it means more when you talk in person. There are certain aspects of conversation - cues, tones and hand gestures that you don't get from texting.

I'd rather talk to someone in person than text someone anyday. That's not to say I wouldn't still text, it's just my personal preference as far as communication goes.

Star Tipper

9,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Invisibility 100
I think the answer to that question will vary from person to person. When I'm texting someone I'm doing it because I can't get to them to have a face to face conversation. I want to ask them something/talk but I don't have access to them at the moment. I can't call them in current situation/ it's a small question and texting is the easier and faster option.

I don't really know anyone who I would consider obsessed with texting, most people I know do it the same instances as me, the convince of contacting someone when you can't see them face to face or have a phone conversation. I think another good question would be are people too obsessed with their cell phones in general?

I would say my mom is, she's constantly playing some words with friends game or playing scrabble. Literally when I took her out to dinner with for her birthday we barely talked because the whole time she is staring at her iphone while I set there awkwardly staring and attempting conversation. Or the many times she takes her phone out while driving, to call someone, this habit of hers bugs me the most.

OT: I still prefer phone calls/skype when it comes to catching up with friends that I haven't talked to in a while. They end up being hours long, and I enjoy hearing their voice/seeing their face.

Dangerous Prophet

3,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
I think it depends on a personal scale. For example, I hate talking face to face, unless it's with a person I'm around constantly, because I detest the sound of my voice. I'm a person who is extremely quiet (like Spartan quiet) so I don't know if I'm talking to quietly, or too loudly. That and I feel as if my speech is slurred a it and nobody can fully understand. Now, I don't text, but I still do talking online, and I do it ten times as much as I do face to face. it just depends on the person.
LostInsideMyMind
Seventy percent of human communication is nonverbal communication. You lose a lot of nonverbal cues texting or IMing someone.

Interested in where you got the statistic. biggrin

As for the discussion question, I would say yes and no because 1. Who are the 'we' mentioned? Not everyone in this world do the same everyday things... The assumption of homogeneity is problematic.

2. How is it that one is obsessed with texting? What is the scale for one to be obsessed?

Personally though, I prefer talking. smile

Interesting Businesswoman

4,600 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Profitable 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Each person is different and wants to communicate differently, i personally like text messaging more than face to face, but i always assume that the people I text have an attitude. rolleyes

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
As Castrillo has stated, I usually text someone whom I can't see face-to-face at the time.

Now if the question was texting vs. talking on the phone, I prefer texting wholeheartedly.

Salty Fatcat

I definitely prefer face to face conversation. I believe it's much easier to pick up on the general vibe of a person based upon the contact you have with them face to face.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff