Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Gekko

9,650 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
FutureofScience
TwistedxJuggalo
Yeah it's required at my university for all freshman to live in the dorms, but luckily for me I transferred from another school, so I didn't have to deal with that. But I still kind of look back and think, 'what if?' you know? Would I have made friends? Would my room mate possibly have been the best friend of my life that I never got to meet? Those kinds of thoughts always filter through my mind. But nothing I can do about it now.

Idk if music would help me in social situations. Cuz if I'm talking to someone I wouldn't be able to hear them if I'm listening to music?

If someone approaches me, I just take off my headphones. It's not exactly that helpful in social situations, but it keeps me from panicking over being in a large crowd or something. haha

I feel that if someone was meant to be important to your life, then you would have plenty of chances to meet them.

Well hopefully you're right. I'd hate to have missed my best friend of my life. xD

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
I have Social Anxiety Disorder. I have to take medications to help level me out some. I don't know if I will ever get over this disorder. I don't like crowds. I don't like people in my space. I have trouble talking with strangers(excluding people on GAIA). I don't start conversations because I am afraid. I am an extremely introverted person as well as paranoid.

Wheezing Gekko

9,650 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
I have the same thing! Can you please describe to me an instance in your life where your social anxiety flared up and your feels while you were dealing with it? I'd just really like to get a conversation going about how people with social anxiety feel all the time.

Shameless Man-Lover

It's all about balance, from what I've learned. Giving yourself proper alone time before and/or after (whatever you can get, really) before big social events can help you feel more relaxed in social settings. Treat yourself to your favorite TV show or book after you spend time with people to 'cool down' basically and try not to focus on ever little mistake in speaking you've made.

Put yourself in situations where you have to interact with people in small ways. Go to the store by yourself and buy a candy bar. Talk to the person behind the counter about their shirt. Tell the old lady in the store next to you that you think her necklace is beautiful, even if you don't mean it. Smile, make eye contact, and breath. You probably don't know these people, and they won't remember you in ten minutes anyways, so what does it matter if you tripped over your words?

Wheezing Gekko

9,650 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
this rainbow lover
It's all about balance, from what I've learned. Giving yourself proper alone time before and/or after (whatever you can get, really) before big social events can help you feel more relaxed in social settings. Treat yourself to your favorite TV show or book after you spend time with people to 'cool down' basically and try not to focus on ever little mistake in speaking you've made.

Put yourself in situations where you have to interact with people in small ways. Go to the store by yourself and buy a candy bar. Talk to the person behind the counter about their shirt. Tell the old lady in the store next to you that you think her necklace is beautiful, even if you don't mean it. Smile, make eye contact, and breath. You probably don't know these people, and they won't remember you in ten minutes anyways, so what does it matter if you tripped over your words?

Thanks, I do try to do this. And when I don't think about it, and just blurt things out, such as complimenting someone's shirt, things are fine. The big problem I have is when I'm a party or social gathering and I have to stay there for longer than it takes to stand in line at a grocery store. I get nervous, and tongue tied.

Dapper Hunter

I've been a stage actor for the past 5 years, even did some scenes in my underwear. Except for a few seconds of fleeting nervousness until I was actually on stage, I was fine. I've been a guest at several cons. I even make friends really easily with pretty much everyone around me. I've also always done really well by myself in public places.

I just started school at a big university, and most of my classes require participation and discussion, which I initially was cool with. Until I actually tried. First time I did, I was a little babbly, but alright. Second time, I stuttered, a lot. Third time, I was shaking violently, it felt like my chest was being sat on, and I had to stop every couple words to keep from audibly gasping for air. That'd never happened before; it's not from my classes because I'm really good at and am really enjoying those, it's not that I just started college, I've actually been in college the last several years and was fine participating, presenting, whatever.

I do have fairly severe depression, and that has tended to make me anti social, but never socially anxious.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Over the last few years I've started developing anxiety problems from being around other people. I can't stand being in a crowded area and am really grateful when I can find an open spot where I can just relax. Unfortunately, my anxiety is so bad that I've stopped sitting in the main chapel area of my church and now I'm usually found in the cry room during mass. Luckily I can somewhat anticipate when I may have an attack and when I do I usually put one of my small stuffed animals in my purse to take with me, usually being my stuffed raccoon or the rag doll I've had since I was a baby. Cuddling with them helps me feel better when I start having an attack at all and when I'm home alone I use them as other voices for a discussion to help me feel better. Don't know if that's a healthy response or not, but it helps me.

That said, my parents are pretty understanding, especially my dad who has the same issues with crowds that I do, but his probably isn't as severe.

I did manage to make it through most of my junior prom without a problem, only leaving about half an hour before it ended, meaning I stayed for about three hours. Also don't have much of a problem at places where I really do want to be and appeal to my interests.

Wheezing Gekko

9,650 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Honey of the South
Over the last few years I've started developing anxiety problems from being around other people. I can't stand being in a crowded area and am really grateful when I can find an open spot where I can just relax. Unfortunately, my anxiety is so bad that I've stopped sitting in the main chapel area of my church and now I'm usually found in the cry room during mass. Luckily I can somewhat anticipate when I may have an attack and when I do I usually put one of my small stuffed animals in my purse to take with me, usually being my stuffed raccoon or the rag doll I've had since I was a baby. Cuddling with them helps me feel better when I start having an attack at all and when I'm home alone I use them as other voices for a discussion to help me feel better. Don't know if that's a healthy response or not, but it helps me.

That said, my parents are pretty understanding, especially my dad who has the same issues with crowds that I do, but his probably isn't as severe.

I did manage to make it through most of my junior prom without a problem, only leaving about half an hour before it ended, meaning I stayed for about three hours. Also don't have much of a problem at places where I really do want to be and appeal to my interests.

Wow good for you for staying at your prom! I know whenever I went to a dance I immediately thought, "Okaaaay now that I'm here let's go back home!" Nerves. They always got the best of me.

I'm actually really proud of myself right now. There was a guest speaker in my class and when my teacher said, "okay any questions?" I not once, but TWICE asked a question. And there were maybe 40 people in the room! That's major progress since I'm the quiet kid who doesn't say a word and tries to pass by as invisible.

In a relationship with her ideal man

Ruthless Loiterer

I get it a lot, and i get the same "get over it" response from my friends. I still am not sure how to cope, besides talking about it with people

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
TwistedxJuggalo
Anybody else get this? And not just the regular 'normal' anxiety that every person feels, but the kind that impacts your life and stops you from doing things.

I'm just wanting to hear if other people feel the same as I do, and what it's like for them. Any good coping methods? So far I've just been told to GET OVER IT by others. :face palm:

Yeah, I've got it. I tend to stray away from people in public. I don't trust anyone and hate social interactions, they scare me. I used to take an anxiety pill, which I still have it prescribed to me. I stopped because I became too addicted to it so I cut myself off completely. When I get stressed with social situations I would find what I call a "safe place" in the area and just listen to music. It is the only thing, so far, that I know of that can help without getting dependent on medication.
Social anxiety is really common. It's only a bad thing if it turns into a PD like Avoidant personality.

Wheezing Gekko

9,650 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
halo to you
Social anxiety is really common. It's only a bad thing if it turns into a PD like Avoidant personality.

Yeah. I actually hadn't heard about it until a couple years ago. I thought I was just really sensitive and shy. And then I researched it more and more and found a huge community for people with SA. I was like, WOAH...there's all these people who feel like I do! Yeah Avoidant Personality Disorder is way more advanced and harsh isn't it? I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between Social anxiety, or social phobia with avoidant personality disorder.

Friendly Explorer

Social anxiety disorder is fairly common, but, like many mental illnesses, greatly misunderstood. Learning to manage your anxiety takes a great deal of time and patience. It is not something you simply "get over".

I, too, suffer from social anxiety, and I find it easier to manage when I limit or completely cut out caffeine. If I consume too much caffeine, my heart races faster and I am more likely to stress and panic. I also find it easier if I take about 5-10 minutes before work (or whatever) to breathe and collect myself. That way I leave most of my anxious thoughts in the car or at home.

Have faith in yourself and you can overcome your anxiety. Just take small, baby steps and you will get there in time. ^_^

Wheezing Gekko

9,650 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
iron-lav
Social anxiety disorder is fairly common, but, like many mental illnesses, greatly misunderstood. Learning to manage your anxiety takes a great deal of time and patience. It is not something you simply "get over".

I, too, suffer from social anxiety, and I find it easier to manage when I limit or completely cut out caffeine. If I consume too much caffeine, my heart races faster and I am more likely to stress and panic. I also find it easier if I take about 5-10 minutes before work (or whatever) to breathe and collect myself. That way I leave most of my anxious thoughts in the car or at home.

Have faith in yourself and you can overcome your anxiety. Just take small, baby steps and you will get there in time. ^_^

Wow it's really great that you discovered that caffeine exacerbated your anxiety. That makes it much easier to control I bet once you find out what you can do to help yourself. Thanks for your input, and I hope you have a happy anxiety free life. xD

Fluffy Allegiant

8,150 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Clambake 200
Are you sure you are not just an introvert?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff