Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Today in health class we were watching a video about abstinence. Being a sexually active teen, I wasn't so thrilled to hear people preach about their "cleanliness" (nothing against you abstinent folk, it's just not something I choose to do).

While watching the video, a girl comes on ranting about how "wrong" teenage sex is, how its something that "ruins everything in a relationship", "makes things complicated", and is something she wants to "stay away from as long as possible". Now that's all fine and dandy, but after the video, I asked my teacher a question.

"Why did we just watch a video about a bunch of abstinent teens that talk about how bad sex is, when they've never had it, so they have no room to talk? You can't judge something when you personally know nothing about it. This video is more opinion than fact, because if sex was wrong then we wouldn't do it. But we do." Now the question probably wasn't worded very well, but still. I am in a committed relationship, and I know that through sex my partner and I have a stronger and deeper connection, and it is something I enjoy. My teacher, (a by the book Mormon that is completely against sex before marriage, I should mention), pulled me out into the hallway.

"Your inappropriate comments make you sound morally loose and you need to stop them. Do you understand?" I replied with, "No, not at all. Please explain, as I am thoroughly confused." She then asked, "What would you call a girl that sleeps with every guy in high school?" I shrugged and answered, "Well, a slut." She then continued with, "Well, your comments are making you sound like one. Now I know deep inside you are a good person. But your coming off as a slut and I don't want that."

EXCUSE ME?

I walked back to class stifling a laugh, but did my teacher really just call me a slut because I asked a question about why we were being exposed to uneducated opinions? A virgin could have asked the same thing. Personally, I find this ridiculous. I laughed it off, but now that I think about it, I'm a tad offended. The ONLY person I've EVER participated in sexual activities in is the person I am with now, and we have been in a healthy, long term committed relationship.

I just.. I'm confused. That's all I have to say.

Adored Admirer

Wow, that's not cool at all. I wonder what would have happened if you took it up with the principal.

5,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Pseudo-Onkelos
Wow, that's not cool at all. I wonder what would have happened if you took it up with the principal.

Eh. It didn't bother me enough to possibly destroy her career over it. Shes like, sixty. I mean I just don't tell on teachers when they say things that are generally "inappropriate" to say as teachers when in society something is said and brushed off easily. Like telling on a teacher when they tell a class to "shut up" or that they are "pissed off". I mean, I'm glad she spoke her opinion. I just think it was an uneducated opinion on my opinion about listening to uneducated opinions. I'm not going to be emotionally scarred by this or anything, I just thought I should share it because I want opinions xD

Adored Admirer

Roseliea
Pseudo-Onkelos

Eh. It didn't bother me enough to possibly destroy her career over it. Shes like, sixty. I mean I just don't tell on teachers when they say things that are generally "inappropriate" to say as teachers when in society something is said and brushed off easily. Like telling on a teacher when they tell a class to "shut up" or that they are "pissed off". I mean, I'm glad she spoke her opinion. I just think it was an uneducated opinion on my opinion about listening to uneducated opinions. I'm not going to be emotionally scarred by this or anything, I just thought I should share it because I want opinions xD

I think she could have handled your question in a mature manner.

5,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Pseudo-Onkelos
Roseliea
Pseudo-Onkelos

I think she could have handled your question in a mature manner.

This is true. I mean it isn't like I asked an "inappropriate" question, persay. Now if the video had been about teens who had had sex and now chose to be abstinent for whatever reason, I would have kept my mouth shut. But I hate when people say "ewh, you've had sex?! Ewh sex is so gross!" No. It isn't. You've never had it. You don't know. People that don't know what they are talking about irritate me. That's also why what my teacher said irritated me; how can a person that has only had sex with one person, a person that they are in a committed, long term relationship, be a slut?

Dedicated Loiterer

3,750 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Forum Regular 100
That's an inappropriate remark to make to a student. Your parents should speak to a school administrator about it. A little bit of professionalism goes a long way.
Bring more appropriate material to class and suggest watching it instead, like a homo erotic romance.

Versatile Shapeshifter

10,500 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
DXnobodyX
Bring more appropriate material to class and suggest watching it instead, like a homo erotic romance.
lol
Roseliea
I walked back to class stifling a laugh, but did my teacher really just call me a slut because I asked a question about why we were being exposed to uneducated opinions?

No. You need to learn to listen to other people and not just assume that they are saying what suits you.

To answer your question you are a child and your opinion is insignificant. It is harsh to have to hear that but it is true and you deserve to know as such.
Roseliea
Pseudo-Onkelos

Your opinion was the uneducated one, that is why you attend school.

1,400 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I've found a lot of teachers don't deal well with questions like this.

I think you asked a valid point, her opinion on the matter shouldn't come into it.
Dude, that teacher can suck it and shove it. She's forcing her own beliefs on you and that's bullsh*t. WTF is wrong with her. If sex worked for you in your relationship, go with that. You know your not a slut, believe in that. If you teacher thinks your a slut, fine then, her opinion shouldn't affect you.

Lonely Friend

5,850 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
DXnobodyX

I agree with that suggestion whole heartedly.
...On a more serious note.
Tell your parents. People like that make me livid and it was completely unprofessional for her to make such remarks. Students go to school to ask questions. You were just doing what you were supposed to do.
Yeah, You might be interested in turning that teachers world upside down, but as an automaton, she will only regurgitate what is input so it really doesn't help.

Dapper Phantom

You should have said that. "But I only have sex with one guy."

You still can, too. "Hey, you know when you called me a slut the other day? I only have sex with one guy. Not every guy in school."

I totally would push that on the teacher. You sound young enough to get away with it, lol. Plus, that teacher was retarded enough to call you a slut. They shoot themselves in the foot if they report it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games