Yes 0.2 20.0% [ 4 ]
No 0.8 80.0% [ 16 ]
Total Votes:[ 20 ]
< 1 2

Channel 240
CH1YO
Channel 240
My comparison is not flawed.
Have you even taken those drugs? You know, ever been on something like Seroquel for a few months?

Also, my economics and business statement is in regards to something much different.

Your comparison is flawed. People who function well enough to not be prescribed medication for that purpose versus people who do not. It is a tautology dressed up as a comparison.

Of course not, nor have I experienced long term psychotic episodes.

I know, it was simply unhelpful so I offered you the benefit of the doubt.

I've taken them before, atypical antipsychotics and SSRIs. It is horrible. It numbs your body to the point where you can barely function. You cannot think properly. You cannot daydream. Your brain feels like it is going to explode. It makes you lethargic. You are unable to focus on things you once enjoyed.. You cannot watch movies; you cannot read books. They become impossible for you to wrap your brain around them. Your muscles will ache; no painkiller will fix it. Your menstrual cycle becomes out of sync. You are apathetic. You have no motivation to do anything, and would rather sit there doing nothing. You hate everyone on them. You are irritated by the littlest things, things that would not have bothered you before you were on the drugs. And I said to myself, I wish I had never seen a doctor, because being crazy was better than this. After three years I gained the guts to ween myself off, and found out what was actually wrong with me. I am fine now. I have not taken one of those pills in over a year. I will never take one ever again.

Radiotherapy isn't very nice either. Sadly we don't have magic so medicine will have to suffice.

Yes, psychoactive medication is over-prescribed and yes, it is not always the best option. That said your anecdotal evidence is of at most limited value here. Good for you, you are happier now than you were but it is hardly relevant.
Channel 240
Oh no, you talk to anyone who was on those drugs and got off and they will tell you the same thing.

"Worst decision I ever made" comes to mind. Of course you know better than she or I what that person meant.

Channel 240
My problems were caused by low blood sugar.
They checked my blood sugar, and told me it was low, but not enough to kill me.
They never gave me a dextrose pill.
They sent me to a psychiatrist.
I asked to see someone who specializes in digestive problems.
They would not refer me.
I was missing a digestive enzyme. That is why I had problems.

Antipsychotics are awful because they don't do what they are not designed to do? Amputation is a really bad cure for things it's not designed for too.

Channel 240
I would sue, but I cannot afford it. I can't afford the lawyer, and, if I lose, I cannot afford to pay the $10 000 in court fees.

Why would you sue if you were not going to win?

Charitable Millionaire

User Image

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ★ ★ ★ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Alrighty then. emotion_awesome

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ★ ★ ★ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

User Image
Channel 240
You don't really understand.

Of course not, since I disagree with you right?

Channel 240
Mental health care destroys people's lives.

So do most things. Mental health care also saves a lot of lives. Of course you are going to be disappointed if you expect perfection from, well, pretty much anything.

Channel 240
And you do not care, because you are making money of it.

False, I was offered a better position in a completely different sector last year.

Channel 240
You do not care about how many lives you destroy, because it benefits you.

To date none, it is a real cause for worry. It is a risk I am willing to take because it benefits so many more people.

Channel 240
This is what I meant by economics and business.

This is why I still have no desire to indulge your silly politic.

Channel 240
Antipsychotics do nothing more than raise your blood sugar and make you feel like s**t. You can get the same effect by eating a big bowl of pasta.

Like most medicines if you shouldn't be on the then they are bad for you. They do not fix digestive problems because they are not supposed to, not because they are broken.

High-functioning Counselor

17,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Tycoon 200
Screening to offfer help could be good...as early intervention is usually beneficial. But I think this is more something that should be part of healthcare...like routine physicals.

Using it as a way to weed people out of schools and jobs sounds like a major form a discrimination. For a lot of people school and jobs provides stability that many with mental illness need.

If jobs start saying people with mental illness can't be hired (many people hide their mental illness for this reason) than I think you are going to have many more people with higher degrees of instability which could actually decrease public safety and create a greater burden on society than we already have.

I think what would be better is to have more education about mental illness, stigma, bullying and such to people in institutions and creater a more stable environment for everyone.
I wonder how much the suicide rate would go up if this actually happened, lol.

Mega Loiterer

4,650 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Popular Thread 100
No, and there's no reason to. Most people who are already on medication or have other means of controlling their mental illnesses are of no threat to others. There's always warning signs before they get too bad(for the RARE exceptions) and are sent to the hospital. It would not actually make anything safer, because they already have their mental illnesses under control while at work/school. The advantage actually doesn't make sense, saying that'll make it safer? People with mental illness are rarely ever violent. That's stigma brought on by the few shootings that happen. 50% of people in American will experience at least one mental illness in their life time. Stacking that against the shootings, yes it's rare they turn violent.

Mega Loiterer

4,650 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Popular Thread 100
CH1YO

Channel 240
Have you ever compared a non-medicated "crazy" person with one who's been on antipsychotics for ten years? The non-medicated ones are always much more functional.

Yes I have. You are mistaken. Also your comparison is flawed.

Channel 240 is not showing up for some reason.
But oh my god I hope they're kidding. Jfc
mumi why
CH1YO

Channel 240
Have you ever compared a non-medicated "crazy" person with one who's been on antipsychotics for ten years? The non-medicated ones are always much more functional.

Yes I have. You are mistaken. Also your comparison is flawed.

Channel 240 is not showing up for some reason.
But oh my god I hope they're kidding. Jfc

One of you presumably has the other on ignore. I think that they are extremely biased on account of a narrow section of data rather than kidding unfortunately.

Powerhungry Genius

44,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
No because one, people with some mental illnesses can act "sane" (mostly psychopaths in this category) and often can trick there therapists, two, not all mental illnesses are harmful to others and some are even beneficial in various ways (ex:idiot savants), and lastly, not all mental illness is detectable with technology and there is a scale of illness (minor to severe and different type of the same illness: example: autism).

Nerd

8,900 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Honestly I don't think it would be a bad idea if it would actually stay confidential.
I only say this because (in high schools at least) it may affect suicide rates. If they can pick up on depression or a social anxiety before even entering high school then they can get that person help. Hell, if they are able to pick up on eating disorders that would be awesome.

These things are starting to develop in middle schoolers, not in high school anymore. A lot of people don't realize this. It is very disturbing to think that 11-14 year olds are developing these issues, and quite a few parents are in the mind set of "my kid is too young to be depressed". So yes I would say screen them if they can stay confidential to a doctor, not on a school record or anything like that.

Honestly if that actually happened my paranoia and anxiety would have been discovered sooner. I would've possibly gotten my license before 18 years old.

Dapper Dabbler

4,100 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tipsy 100
Even if we did screen for mental illness -- and my God, I can't believe this wasn't brought up FIRST -- it would take months, years, to PROPERLY diagnose someone IF, and only IF, they cooperated FULLY, never lied, didn't manipulate the system, etc.

People who go into treatment of their own personal free will would lie and skew the results in order to get what they want sometimes -- what makes you think FORCING people to be screened would help anybody out in the slightest? It would be a complete waste of money to engage such a program, and it would be utterly useless int he long run.

Especially since screening for mental illness will most likely be used as an attempt to weed out who anyone wants to hire in businesses, or whether people should take others in. It would lead to extreme bias against those with mental disorders, and everyone would WANT to lie -- not only that, but people who actually NEED HELP would be EVEN LESS LIKELY THAN THEY ARE TODAY to seek help, for fear that any results would come up in their future and affect them later on in life.

It's bad enough some people won't seek treatment for severe ADD/ADHD or Depression because they might want to join the army or military later on in life...

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
There should only be screenings for mental illnesses if a mental illness could put themselves or others at risk, for example going into the police force, emergency services, army etc. Being screened just to work for an insurance company or to study a degree seems irrelevant. In that case the person should have the choice to declare whether they have a mental illness, the benefit being that sick leave, changed to the work place/education center and treatment can be arranged.

In the UK it would cost us too much money to screen everyone for a mental illness. We could be in danger of over diagnosing. It should only be screened for the reasons above or if the person believes they could be unwell. If people feel mentally healthy then what benefit is there to screen them and tell them that they have mild depression or OCD traits?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff