Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Lunatic

6,000 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Market Browser 100
Self-Deprecation is pretty much seeing yourself as having no value. I think this way, and for some reason, I am willing to give anything for my closest friends.
Three examples.
1. One of my friends wanted to get an item but they did not have enough gold. They did not ask me or beg me to give them gold. I'm not sure why, but I willingly gave them the needed gold. (Forgot the amount, but I'm sure it's a lot.) They refused to accept the gold repeatedly.

2. I gave the same friend from #1 about 100k for no apparent reason. They repeatedly declined the trade. They were going to give me something in return, but then I declined the offer. I only allowed to give, but not receive.

3. Yet again the same friend from #1,2 I went all out on a 'quest' just to get them an item that they wanted for so long. I went to the Gaia cash shop, bought one of the expensive items, sold it on the marketplace, then bought the "Buster Sword" item and gave it to them. I did not want anything in return.

I'm not sure if this is Self-Deprecation or insane generosity.
o 3o Correct me if I am wrong.
Edit: And in all those times, I did not care what happened to my account and losing it's gold.
I just did not care about myself or my account.

Mewling Consumer

16,050 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Considering the nature of this site and money on it, I would not consider this necessarily self deprecation. It is selfless, but does not show that you regard yourself as worthless in any way-just that you do not care too much about fake gold. Unless you have given up going after things just for others (or for those who are not close to you), then it seems just like extreme generosity. I know that I probably would willingly spend money from my account on friends since I rarely do much with my gold.
Self-deprecation is a long stretch. You are giving Gaia gold, not organs. Even if it was real money... self-deprecation?... Let's think realistically here.

Dapper Genius

950 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
I don't think you understand what self-deprecation is.

6,450 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
maybe you didn't care because it is not real life money

Adored Admirer

That is not self-deprecation.

Dapper Lunatic

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
That isn't self-depricating. Self-deprecation involves belittling oneself; for example, one might believe that he is not worthy of a friendship, cannot achieve a goal, etc.

Whether or not you are generous in real life, I'm sure it is much easier to express generosity through an anonymous account with unreal assets than it is outside of Gaia. Since all of this generosity was directed toward one person, I am assuming you like this person (whether simply as a friend or romantically), and you want to convey that by giving to him or her.
Its important to note gold has no value other then what one places on it. Your friend probably finds worth in earning it or something. Self depricating is more like hoping someone crashes into your car so they pay for a new front bumper because the old one is scratched and your cheap.

Ruthless Phantom

8,400 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
self-dep·re·cat·ing (slfdpr-ktng)
adj.
Tending to undervalue oneself and one's abilities.
self-depre·cating·ly adv.

i don't see how you're de-valuing yourself by giving someone gold.
in fact being charitable is quite a quality, especially in upper-class societies.
Generosity is not the same as self deprecation, your definition of which is wrong.

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
xX DRACO ICE Xx
Self-Deprecation is pretty much seeing yourself as having no value. I think this way, and for some reason, I am willing to give anything for my closest friends.
Three examples.
1. One of my friends wanted to get an item but they did not have enough gold. They did not ask me or beg me to give them gold. I'm not sure why, but I willingly gave them the needed gold. (Forgot the amount, but I'm sure it's a lot.) They refused to accept the gold repeatedly.

2. I gave the same friend from #1 about 100k for no apparent reason. They repeatedly declined the trade. They were going to give me something in return, but then I declined the offer. I only allowed to give, but not receive.

3. Yet again the same friend from #1,2 I went all out on a 'quest' just to get them an item that they wanted for so long. I went to the Gaia cash shop, bought one of the expensive items, sold it on the marketplace, then bought the "Buster Sword" item and gave it to them. I did not want anything in return.

I'm not sure if this is Self-Deprecation or insane generosity.
o 3o Correct me if I am wrong.
Edit: And in all those times, I did not care what happened to my account and losing it's gold.
I just did not care about myself or my account.

Gaia isn't the most objective place to value self-worth, namely because it could be you not caring about the value of Gaia currency over not valuing yourself. However, a self-report of no feeling of self-worth is enough. IMO, it is probably just your basic depression disorder. Go see a psychologist. Of all the mental disorders, this is probably one of the easiest to treat. They can hook you up with some SSRIs, and you should be feeling better in a few weeks. And maybe even talk therapy can help you out some as well.

The difference in generosity and self-deprecation is your motif. Doing it because you don't care about yourself is self-deprecation. The two are not mutually exclusive however. You are being both generous and self-deprecating. But, the definition of generosity probably shouldn't be the focus here. Your perception of self-worth most likely will be easy to treat. Cheaply at that. So I'd recommend you see a psychologist soon for it. It's not one of the more serious matters, and if I'm not mistaken, it's the most common psychological ailment - or at least the most commonly treated.

Make an appointment soon, and you should be feeling better in no time. smile

Good luck,

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas