Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greedy Consumer

In a more perfect society wouldn't they consider why people break laws based on their circumstance rather than just punishing all crimes nearly equally?

Like, someones poor so they steal, obviously they need to give what they stole back and such, but I think in a more progressed society they would consider why he stole when making their rulings.

Doing this could help udnerstanding and use of preventitive measures ro reduce the crime.

It's already shown (im fairly certain) that more educated and cleaner areas tend to have less crime.

So spreading the wealth in a way would prevent crime. But then theres the people who would steal regardless of their circumstance, and I understand them getting a punishment.

But, like in some states its illegal to kill in self-defense. I'm not sure why though.

But obviously there are some people who can't be fixed, the damage is done they wont be normal again. In those cases its probably especially important to understand what ultimately influenced this to be.

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
There are a lot of psychology programs designed to treat the mental cause of the crime of an inmate. They are also shown to work. The problem with them, though, is expense. It is much too expensive to treat each inmate, and current research and treatment programs are funded through research grants, not state/federal funds. It would be near impossible to get government funding for such a thing. The general population is simply too ignorant of psychology to go for it. Hell, maybe they are simply too religious as well. Most religions push for blank slate equality, so understanding genetic and social predispositions is near impossible. Beyond that, a huge chunk of inmates are there for non-violent offenses and don't need help. Weed offenses and the like. There is no treatment necessary for them. And further, some disorders, especially antisocial personality disorder - which is largely linked to criminal behavior - does not respond to any treatment.

Maybe in an ideal world, but not in a realistic one. Hopefully within my lifetime, I will see it enacted on a level that is perceivable - on criminals who need it and can benefit from it, and society understands the needs and benefits of such treatment while also understanding the flaws of the old/current system.
It sounds like you're not used to how the American criminal justice system works. And how the courts work.

Dapper Lunatic

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
If someone is so poor that he feels he needs to steal, he should probably attempt to redirect his energies towards finding a job. Or at least finding a soup kitchen at which to get some food. There is really no excuse for stealing when there are other options.

If some people were excused for their crimes because they were in such circumstances that they had to steal or had to commit some other crime, then everyone would make that argument regardless of whether it were true or not. More people would begin to steal because they would realize that if they simply appeared as though they were so poor that they had to steal, they would be excused for their crimes.

So, ultimately, your idea would never work. In a perfect world, no one would steal. But we don't live in a perfect world.

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
Rosy_Owl
If someone is so poor that he feels he needs to steal, he should probably attempt to redirect his energies towards finding a job. Or at least finding a soup kitchen at which to get some food. There is really no excuse for stealing when there are other options.

Spoken truly like someone who has never been poor.

Quote:
If some people were excused for their crimes because they were in such circumstances that they had to steal or had to commit some other crime, then everyone would make that argument regardless of whether it were true or not. More people would begin to steal because they would realize that if they simply appeared as though they were so poor that they had to steal, they would be excused for their crimes.

Irrelevant? I don't think you understand the topic.

Dapper Lunatic

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
Project Light
Rosy_Owl

Ah, okay thanks for assuming things; it really helps your argument.

Project Light
Quote:

How is that irrelevant in any way? It's logical.

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
Rosy_Owl
Project Light
Rosy_Owl

Ah, okay thanks for assuming things; it really helps your argument.

It's not an assumption.

Quote:
Project Light
Quote:

How is that irrelevant in any way? It's logical.

How is it irrelevant? Is there even a way to answer such a question? How is purple irrelevant to the topic of what political policy is most efficient? It is irrelevant because it has nothing to do with what was asked or is being discussed. No one is discussing whether or not there being reasons for crime should be a valid excuse for not being punished for them. No one at all.
Under many different views, psychological especially, there is a reason for why everyone does everything. Especially criminals. And under none of those views does anyone think that no criminal should have to pay a price for what they did.

The topic is about treating the antecedent, not the behavior. The topic is not about removing consequences for behavior.

Dapper Lunatic

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
Project Light

It's not an assumption.

Since I did not explicitly state my current or past financial status it is an assumption.

Project Light

How is it irrelevant? Is there even a way to answer such a question? How is purple irrelevant to the topic of what political policy is most efficient? It is irrelevant because it has nothing to do with what was asked or is being discussed. No one is discussing whether or not there being reasons for crime should be a valid excuse for not being punished for them. No one at all.
Under many different views, psychological especially, there is a reason for why everyone does everything. Especially criminals. And under none of those views does anyone think that no criminal should have to pay a price for what they did.

The topic is about treating the antecedent, not the behavior. The topic is not about removing consequences for behavior.

This is what OP asked: "In a more perfect society wouldn't they consider why people break laws based on their circumstance rather than just punishing all crimes nearly equally?"

I responded by saying why people cannot consider the reasons for people's actions when assigning punishment (with the exception, of course, of self-defense in a life-threatening situation). I think it is simply a matter of you and I having seen OP's post in different lights; I don't see why you need to be upset with that. I see his claim as suggesting perhaps that people be punished based on why they commit a crime, rather than all people being punished equally. If you disagree with my statements with regards to this, say so. What I said was topic-relevant.
The trouble with penal reform is that it is invariably unpopular; if an inmate is not made to feel resentful it is considered that the system is too soft.

Rosy_Owl
Project Light

It's not an assumption.

Since I did not explicitly state my current or past financial status it is an assumption.

It is actually just a statement, the assumption is implied rather than explicit.

Dapper Lunatic

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
CH1YO
The trouble with penal reform is that it is invariably unpopular; if an inmate is not made to feel resentful it is considered that the system is too soft.

Rosy_Owl
Project Light

It's not an assumption.

It is actually just a statement, the assumption is implied rather than explicit.

An assumption is an assumption.

Greedy Consumer

Rosy_Owl

well thats true to a degree, but a good point I overlooked.
Rosy_Owl
CH1YO

Rosy_Owl
Project Light

It's not an assumption.

That was not one though.

Dapper Lunatic

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
CH1YO
Rosy_Owl
CH1YO

Rosy_Owl
Project Light

It's not an assumption.

That was not one though.

Seemed like one to me.

Dapper Lunatic

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Rosy_Owl

well thats true to a degree, but a good point I overlooked.

Thank you.
Rosy_Owl
CH1YO
Rosy_Owl
CH1YO

Rosy_Owl
Project Light

It's not an assumption.

That was not one though.

Seemed like one to me.

It was probably supposed to.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items