Welcome to Gaia! ::

Romantic Phantom

6,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
PTSD- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder...
I understand trauma can do many different things to people but why does the mind constantly replay a traumatic event, like it's happening again and again?

Example:
A girl is violently raped in an unfamiliar setting (Irreverent if she knows the attacker or not as well as the age at this point)
Years pass as the girl ages as she walks at the place her trauma happened, suddenly, the memories reappear, the sights, the fear, the emotions... Even the smell.
And it's like she is being raped again.

Why does this happen?
There are many more traumatic events that can happen, but question remains.
What causes the memories to come back,
or even cause severe night terrors of the event that it's like it's happening again?
Does the brain get stuck and the chemistry in the brain is unable to deal with it? (Like shutting down)
Or what happens and why?

Insight is welcome!

Hallowed Shapeshifter

I think its more of a defense mechanism. Like when a child burns his/her hand on a stove, the pain is imprinted and the child wont do the mistake twice cause he/she is reminded over the trauma it caused.
Think its somewhat the same. The brain connects the place of the rape victim to pain and suffering and is telling the body to get away cause its a painful place.

Feral Lover

10,575 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Married 100
It doesn't even have to be the same place. It could just be the time of day/night on the date it happened...

I have PTSD... I was molested the summer after I turned 9.
I shut down. I didn't know how to deal with it. And I couldn't even cry. I had nightmares constantly for years after it happened, and though I've not been back to where it happened I had an instance of "reliving" it..

8 years after it happened on the (horrible word to use for this but I can't think of another) 'anniversary' of it, around the same exact time of night that it had occurred...
I was looking at a lamp on the table and it all came flooding back. I could physically feel it happening again, even my vision changed to only see what happened back then, and I finally screamed, and broke down crying.

When a trauma happens, whether it's sexual assault, injuries from battle/car accident, etc..., it leaves an imprint in your memory stronger than most. It can either leave you with nightmares/instances of reliving it, or it can cause memory loss.

In the case of nightmares/reliving it, it's your brain's way of trying to recover from it and move on.

Since the instance I had of reliving the incident 8 years after it happened, I no longer deal with the nightmares, the playback in my head... I finally started the healing process. I'm still not fully over it, but I'm getting there.

I realize this response was rather personal but I figured I'd share my input as I've personal experience with PTSD...

Romantic Phantom

6,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
Mikado ~King of the Light
I think its more of a defense mechanism. Like when a child burns his/her hand on a stove, the pain is imprinted and the child wont do the mistake twice cause he/she is reminded over the trauma it caused.
Think its somewhat the same. The brain connects the place of the rape victim to pain and suffering and is telling the body to get away cause its a painful place.

That's about the most sense I have heard about this!

But if this is true, why does a rape victim re-live this memory at random times?
Like, in the person's sleep or even when they would be in a relaxing environment with absolutely no negative stimulations,
what would cause that?
Many people who have PTSD lock up certain memories, they can be gone for years or forever, depending on the person.
I was told when the person is ready to deal with the memory, it comes back.
But why does it constantly replay, like a broken record? Can't the brain erase that memory?

Romantic Phantom

6,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
Hayleth
It doesn't even have to be the same place. It could just be the time of day/night on the date it happened...

I shut down. I didn't know how to deal with it. And I couldn't even cry. I had nightmares constantly for years after it happened, and though I've not been back to where it happened I had an instance of "reliving" it..

8 years after it happened on the (horrible word to use for this but I can't think of another) 'anniversary' of it, around the same exact time of night that it had occurred...
I was looking at a lamp on the table and it all came flooding back. I could physically feel it happening again, even my vision changed to only see what happened back then, and I finally screamed, and broke down crying.

When a trauma happens, whether it's sexual assault, injuries from battle/car accident, etc..., it leaves an imprint in your memory stronger than most. It can either leave you with nightmares/instances of reliving it, or it can cause memory loss.

In the case of nightmares/reliving it, it's your brain's way of trying to recover from it and move on.

Since the instance I had of reliving the incident 8 years after it happened, I no longer deal with the nightmares, the playback in my head... I finally started the healing process. I'm still not fully over it, but I'm getting there.

I realize this response was rather personal but I figured I'd share my input as I've personal experience with PTSD...

I am truly truly sorry to hear this happened to you!!!
That is rather heart breaking sad
If you need a person to listen to you, a caring ear, I am here! My inbox is always open *huggles*

Thank you for sharing, I am sure that took courage and you are very strong to deal with that.

But anyways, constant re-accuring nightmares on the issue,
mean you are trying to move on?
That's rather interesting, the brain sure is a confusing vessel...

Feral Lover

10,575 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Married 100
guardian ocean
Hayleth

If you need a person to listen to you, a caring ear, I am here! My inbox is always open *huggles*

Thank you for sharing, I am sure that took courage and you are very strong to deal with that.

;hugs back; I wouldnt have been able to share that 3 or so years ago, but now its not so hard nor is it painful to share now.

Our dreams and nightmares are our brain and body's unconscious way of dealing with stress.
This may not be the best analogy, but its like studying. You go over something again and again until you figure it out then you move on. Your mind goes over the event over and over until it can move on.
Letting go can be difficult, but always remember that in a situation such as what I went through it's not your fault. And talking to someone who will listen without judging and be comforting also helps.
Dreams/nightmares are the unconscious way of dealing with it, while talking or writing are the conscious way of dealing with it.

My therapist even told me that the 'dark' drawings I did over the years were a form of self-therapy because it was a way that I got it out of my system.

Hallowed Shapeshifter

guardian ocean
Mikado ~King of the Light

That's about the most sense I have heard about this!

But if this is true, why does a rape victim re-live this memory at random times?
Like, in the person's sleep or even when they would be in a relaxing environment with absolutely no negative stimulations,
what would cause that?
Many people who have PTSD lock up certain memories, they can be gone for years or forever, depending on the person.
I was told when the person is ready to deal with the memory, it comes back.
But why does it constantly replay, like a broken record? Can't the brain erase that memory?

That everyone one is different in the end also plays in. I was raped when I was young, but I didn't suffer much from it after words. I had the nightmares, I didn't want to talk about it. But in the end, I figured it could have been worse. I didn't get pregnant, I didn't get an STD, and best of all, I was not killed. It just doesn't bother me that much. Only took me a year to be able to come to terms with it. s**t happens, you move on. That's not to say it works on everyone. I did go to counselling a few years later in 10-12th grade and told him about it since I was having issues with settling in with whom I was and such things. But I didn't have any issues arising from the rape, it was only your typical hormonal teen stuff.
I am not sure if I will get a huge relapse when I get older, or I might just live my life as I plan to and it never happens. I haven't blocked out the rape, just details but they still get foggy over time, I don't think its healthy to try and block something like that out. I have just come to terms with the situation and I can talk about it without it bothering me too much.

The brain is pretty much your hard drive like to a computer: Your personality is the operating system and the files are the memories you gain. No matter how many things you throw in the trash can trying to forget, they will always remain buried somewhere in the hard drive and can be retrieved. Some operating systems just have an easier time accessing these files than others.
To fully erase a memory you'd need help. As for a hard drive, you can put it in salt water for a week, you can sandpaper the disks, or you destroy it to smitheries.
With a brain, you'd have to do it medically or trauma where you are hit just at the right spot to cause permanent amnesia or if its medically induced. Or generally illness that cause permanent memory loss like alzhimers.
Do you mean to ask why the mind replays important events or why it is a prerequisite for the diagnosis of P.T.S.D.?
I am unsure, I had a childhood trauma I was convinced was a bad dream my whole life untill one day I realised it wasn't. It's been hard to deal with, and for a long time (even now) I had physical sensation flash backs, but I was inpaitent for anorexia about a year ago. I saw women who had SEVERE PTSD, and it was sad. I dont know, it just has such a big impact on peoples mind it becomes horrible... I dont think I have a severe case of it, I'm still working on it.

Romantic Phantom

6,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
Hayleth
guardian ocean
Hayleth

;hugs back; I wouldnt have been able to share that 3 or so years ago, but now its not so hard nor is it painful to share now.

Our dreams and nightmares are our brain and body's unconscious way of dealing with stress.
This may not be the best analogy, but its like studying. You go over something again and again until you figure it out then you move on. Your mind goes over the event over and over until it can move on.
Letting go can be difficult, but always remember that in a situation such as what I went through it's not your fault. And talking to someone who will listen without judging and be comforting also helps.
Dreams/nightmares are the unconscious way of dealing with it, while talking or writing are the conscious way of dealing with it.

My therapist even told me that the 'dark' drawings I did over the years were a form of self-therapy because it was a way that I got it out of my system.

I understand, that's how I was for a while too,
though I haven't told many about my trauma, but I do not wish to go into extreme detail here.

Dreams are quite strange,
mine are morphed and even worse that the incident that occurred, making it seem like mine was nothing compared to these vivid night terrors.
This makes sense, the brain can only handle so much, and it works hard not to just shut down and go into shock, so it keeps trying to find ways to cope.

Dark drawings? That's interesting, I would be curious to see those.

Romantic Phantom

6,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
CH1YO
Do you mean to ask why the mind replays important events or why it is a prerequisite for the diagnosis of P.T.S.D.?

I am asking as to why the mind replays memories of trauma, sorry if it was unclear ^^;;
guardian ocean
CH1YO

I am asking as to why the mind replays memories of trauma, sorry if it was unclear ^^;;

A trauma memory is kept because it is very important to a person. As an important and ergo emotionally charged memory it always maintains a high valence and is therefore easier to trigger. This memory is not fully understood and therefore cannot be properly controlled; once the re-experience begins it is very difficult to stop from reaching it's natural conclusion, distressing though that may be. Furthermore it becomes subject to a sort of object fixation; which can make it appear stronger or the person weaker against it than might otherwise be the case.

Dapper Genius

4,300 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • First step to fame 200
This might be old, or mentioned before, but in the case of PTSD...I'm not really sure what it is to be honest.

I'm in the situation that if I hear a whistle, and I cannot see the source, I think it is a incoming explosive, the sound even changes to the sounds affiliated with the experience. Somewhere in me I 'know' it isn't, but it doesn't stop me from freaking out, same with driving cars.

The fear associated with it is the same too, elevated heart rate, adrenaline pumping,, things of that nature, again, I know that I shouldn't act this way, but I really don't have much control over it. It just happens.

Romantic Phantom

6,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
Isolated Snowstorm
This might be old, or mentioned before, but in the case of PTSD...I'm not really sure what it is to be honest.

I'm in the situation that if I hear a whistle, and I cannot see the source, I think it is a incoming explosive, the sound even changes to the sounds affiliated with the experience. Somewhere in me I 'know' it isn't, but it doesn't stop me from freaking out, same with driving cars.

The fear associated with it is the same too, elevated heart rate, adrenaline pumping,, things of that nature, again, I know that I shouldn't act this way, but I really don't have much control over it. It just happens.

Aww I am sorry! =C That is not fun... *Huggles*
I fully understand how it feels,
Physically... I get panic attacks, my chest tightens, My vision gets blurry, and my heart rate sky rockets.

It's sad what can happen from life situations

Beloved Gawker

3,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Fluff Rehab 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
For myself, I have several trauma's that have caused and added to this illness. The most recent and perhaps the most damaging because it also affects my BPD is my father being arrested for a crime I really wish not to get into.

And little things, that seemingly wouldn't trigger it do. Like watching a movie that he loved. Or drinking a pop that he always bought me. Silly things to most people but they cripple me.

I can't even be around my father anymore because it's that bad, and again that's also because of my BPD. I can't really tell you why certain things trigger these memories or feelings but my best guess is that memories are associated with various things. Scent, sight, audio and visial. It just depends on the person as to what will trigger their memory.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff