Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greedy Consumer

If those are the correct words, for having multiple or one partner.

I mean multiple partners, at the same time (mind out of the gutter plz loll) and when I imagine a serious relationship with multiple partners I can't figure out how itd work, if I were involved, I mean.. Gah hard to explain.

Society is highly based on monogamous relationships, its in nearly all movies, the Love not loves of your life, etc.

Because polygamous relationships should technically be just as valid, I still would seem awkward for people who are used to being reserved or raised in a monogamous society.

So when I ponder on this its extremely awkward, Like I can imagine it working out, but like, let's say you are with two people of the gender you are attracted to, and they have their time together being intimate one on one, what the heck do you do? Watch? Twiddle your thumbs? Spend time BY YOURSELF on a hobby, itd be redundantish, unless you need the alone time of course. But its harder to see it working out, jealousy would be a complication as well.

And its just wierd to be raised from a monogamous world and consider a polygamous relationship, most peopel would be wierded out when they first hear of this kind fo relationship unless they are pervs and think 'repeated threesomes! yes im in' Im talking a serious relationship. I know falling in love or loving multiple people at once is highly possible, but still.

What are your thoughts?
Polygamy is invalid in our society.

First of all our culture prohibits it. Secondly we expect love from a marriage, whereas polygamy is invariably a financial - not romantic - thing.

5,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Member 100
Some people work in polyamorous relationships, some work in monogamous ones. Depends entirely on those involved.

Greedy Consumer

CH1YO

First of all our culture prohibits it. Secondly we expect love from a marriage, whereas polygamy is invariably a financial - not romantic - thing.
How is ti financial? I see how a three way romance wouldnt work though. If theres a way it could work itd be mroe interesting though, which would mean a different mindset or such.
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
CH1YO

How is ti financial? I see how a three way romance wouldnt work though. If theres a way it could work itd be mroe interesting though, which would mean a different mindset or such.

Polygamy, invariably, functions that way. Poor men are entitled to only one wife.

Greedy Consumer

CH1YO
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
CH1YO

Polygamy, invariably, functions that way. Poor men are entitled to only one wife.
*facepalms* with women havign equal rights in america they can get jobs too so itd be irrelevant.
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
CH1YO
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
CH1YO

*facepalms* with women havign equal rights in america they can get jobs too so itd be irrelevant.

Monogamy is also the way of it.

Greedy Consumer

CH1YO
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
CH1YO
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
CH1YO

[again] What?
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
CH1YO
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
CH1YO
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
CH1YO

[again] What?

America, it's a monogamous state.

Angelic Streaker

10,050 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Partygoer 500
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
If those are the correct words, for having multiple or one partner.

I mean multiple partners, at the same time (mind out of the gutter plz loll) and when I imagine a serious relationship with multiple partners I can't figure out how itd work, if I were involved, I mean.. Gah hard to explain.

Society is highly based on monogamous relationships, its in nearly all movies, the Love not loves of your life, etc.

Because polygamous relationships should technically be just as valid, I still would seem awkward for people who are used to being reserved or raised in a monogamous society.

So when I ponder on this its extremely awkward, Like I can imagine it working out, but like, let's say you are with two people of the gender you are attracted to, and they have their time together being intimate one on one, what the heck do you do? Watch? Twiddle your thumbs? Spend time BY YOURSELF on a hobby, itd be redundantish, unless you need the alone time of course. But its harder to see it working out, jealousy would be a complication as well.

And its just wierd to be raised from a monogamous world and consider a polygamous relationship, most peopel would be wierded out when they first hear of this kind fo relationship unless they are pervs and think 'repeated threesomes! yes im in' Im talking a serious relationship. I know falling in love or loving multiple people at once is highly possible, but still.

What are your thoughts?

You mean Polyamory. Polygamy implies marriage, which is illegal in most places in the US.
My owner and I are both poly and have had a few relationships that reflected such. At the moment we're not 'practicing it' but we are still poly and are poly-minded.. it works for us and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love him with all my heart and no one can tell me that just because I don't believe in love being limited and sex being something reserved just for one person, that my relationship is invalid or any 'less real' than theirs.

It pisses me off how people who cannot even claim to understand it can also state that they believe it doesn't 'work' or isn't real. Or my favorite statement, "I've tried a threesome before and it didn't work, so I don't believe/agree with poly." LOL Anyways, yes, it is difficult when we are pretty much raised to not only be monogamous but also straight. But it's becoming more acceptable in our society to be gay, lesbian, or bisexual, and honestly I think poly is the next thing to become more socially accepted. It just take time. Although poly is not a NEW concept, the idea that the only 'right' or 'real' relationship is one that is monogamous is very strong and apparent in our society. Which does make it difficult for people to dare go against that idea for fear of not being accepted or having their loved ones accepted by society or family. Meh. It is awkward and difficult, but it's surprising how many people don't give a s**t, and once they see how your relationship is working well and not going anywhere, then they come around.
•☥•
785-191-105
As Shirabelle said, the term you are looking for is polyamory. The way I have come to understand it, through personal exploration and many conversations with very close friends who view their love lives in this way, is simply that every relationship is different. Furthermore, on this point, every person has different wants, needs, and expectations regarding relationships, so it is perfectly understandable that polyamorous lifestyles don't make much since to you. They don't necessarily need to, as long as you respect the fact that they exist, and can in fact work (many times more effectively than monogamous relations, as they have a tendency to be more open and honest).

Personally, monogamy is simply how I prefer my relationships, as I can't be attracted to others while I am interested in a person, and this was the case even when I did attempt a polyamorous relationship. We cared for each other, and I had zero jealousy of his other partners (this was the part that felt particularly lovely about the lifestyle), but oddly enough he felt uncomfortable that I wasn't interested in seeing/sleeping with others, and it sort of put a strain on things. My best friend still "practices" though, and she is the most emotionally stable person I know.

Perhaps in years to come more light will be shed on alternative lifestyles such as this, but who knows.
It worked if you distance yourself from them all, like you see in harems.
I prefer being in a monogamous relationship, simply because I'm a jealous person. So I know I would drive myself insane in a polygamous relationship.

Distinct Shopper

12,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Bidding War 100
Pocketed Crumbs
I prefer being in a monogamous relationship, simply because I'm a jealous person. So I know I would drive myself insane in a polygamous relationship.

Jealous ... Uhmmm... Idk... but I think it all depends in what kind of people you are talking...

Most cases of polygamy has successful relationships... while monogamy only has a 50% of success over the next years... I guess if they like between them... is alright... if they don't they can leave anytime... and rates are lower than monogamy... is not like a threesome...

Everything in excess can hurt... you know that...

Greedy Consumer

I think in a very long termr elationship polyamorous relationships might end up more satisfied, because of more variety not necesarily because more people=more needs to be met. With just two people in a relationship it might get repetitive, life.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff