Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've recently heard of a condition called Misophonia, which essentially is described as "the hatred of sound, characterized by negative experiences (anger, flight, hatred, disgust) triggered by specific sounds." (via wikipedia).

My whole life I've always been very sensitive to sounds, and certain ones can cause me to get really angry or even physically ill. Things like loud bass coming from someone's music in another room or house, people chewing their food loud, scraping plates with silverware, sucking on one's fingers, finger/pen tapping or clicking the ends of a pen repeatedly, etc. I always thought I was just being bitchy or over-sensitive about these things. But apparently it's an actual condition?

Does anyone else experience something like this? Or have heard of this condition before? I'm not trying to "internet diagnose" myself, I already have a therapist and will be discussing this with him next time I have an appointment with him. I'm just curious to know more right now.

Prophet

5,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Citizen 200
I'm not sure whether I have misophonia, but I can certainly identify with what you're describing. Bass hasn't bothered me much, nor have pen noises, but dishes - I take it upon myself to do the dishes in my house because I can't stand the sound of plates scraping against one another when others do it, or especially glasses tinging against one another, which seems sharper, though each have their own special irritating qualities. I'd sooner take the time to do it soundlessly and carefully myself, even if it takes longer. I might wonder if I am shorter than my younger sister because she kept me from getting adequate sleep throughout our childhood due to the sound of her feet rubbing together in a dry, skin-on-callused-skin, chalky way, floating up to grate at my nerves from under her blanket (I spent much of this childhood held captive nights in the prison of the top bunk of a bunk bed that we shared). I am loathe to eat when surrounded by others who chew their food loudly, though the loud watery background music they play in restaurants usually drowns it out and - aside from my youngest sibling, my little brother - my family has excellent table manners and takes small, manageable bites that aren't so loud. My father has these loud, toad-croaking hiccups that have been known very effectively to reduce me to silent, inward tears when they persist for very long. Generally, squelchy and phlegmy sounds make me very uncomfortable, with very few exceptions. One is when elderly women dispense hand sanitizer from those purse-sized travel bottles into their soft hands and it sort of just runs all over their hands and squelches a lot instead of the alcohol drying it off like it's supposed to. It's like your skin chemistry changes as you age or something.

Prophet

5,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Citizen 200
sweatdrop Wow, reading all of that I guess it can come across as over-sensitive and bitchy. I never thought of it that way, I just thought different people were sensitive to different things. I mean I'm not a total scrooge about any of that stuff though. I really honestly try my best to downplay how I feel about that kind of thing because I recognize that it's my problem and not anyone else's, especially when it's hiccups or feet or chewing, things that people really can't help. I guess I kind of vented a little just now because I've never had the opportunity to get this off my chest before.
Krollock
I take it upon myself to do the dishes in my house because I can't stand the sound of plates scraping against one another when others do it, or especially glasses tinging against one another, which seems sharper, though each have their own special irritating qualities. I'd sooner take the time to do it soundlessly and carefully myself, even if it takes longer.

That particular sound is so bad for me, that I've invested in plastic plates and make everyone who eats in my house use them sad
Krollock
sweatdrop Wow, reading all of that I guess it can come across as over-sensitive and bitchy. I never thought of it that way, I just thought different people were sensitive to different things. I mean I'm not a total scrooge about any of that stuff though. I really honestly try my best to downplay how I feel about that kind of thing because I recognize that it's my problem and not anyone else's, especially when it's hiccups or feet or chewing, things that people really can't help. I guess I kind of vented a little just now because I've never had the opportunity to get this off my chest before.

I know what you mean! I don't want to come across as either, but my reactions are nearly involuntary. I can't help that the sound of someone eating makes me want to throw up, you know? I'm glad you shared though, and you could vent here, it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

Floppy Sex Symbol

7,500 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Never heard of it.
Sounds pretty interesting however.

Shy Prophet

I know exactly what you mean. I recently heard of misophonia as well and it shocked me that there were other people who had the same experiences. Personally I can't stand the sound of really heavy breathing, any sounds coming from another room in the house, anything being dragged across carpet, and the sound of people rubbing their hands together. I also find that certain movements (like people jiggling their legs) evoke the same reaction as the sounds. I usually feel more panicky than angry, but either way it's an instant involuntary reaction. It's so bad sometimes that I'm seriously socially avoidant. It's nice to know that there are other people out there with the same issue. Makes me feel a little less crazy. :p

Dapper Cultist

I've heard of it.

I get incredibly upset by certain phrases, but I don't think that's the same thing.
Clockworkette
I also find that certain movements (like people jiggling their legs) evoke the same reaction as the sounds. I usually feel more panicky than angry, but either way it's an instant involuntary reaction. It's so bad sometimes that I'm seriously socially avoidant. It's nice to know that there are other people out there with the same issue. Makes me feel a little less crazy. :p

Movements don't bug me so much, but one particular one does, when someone is shaking their leg up and down really fast. I get either anxious or angry when a noise or movement happens that I don't like, but I haven't noticed myself do anything to specifically avoid certain social interactions so I don't get triggered by anything - not yet at least. But yes, it's definitely nice to know we're not alone with this stuff. sweatdrop

Timid Werewolf

Never heard of it, but that's very interesting.

Sudden movements and loud noises upset me a lot, but I have PTSD so I doubt it has anything to do with misophonia. I hate when people chew with their mouths open it disgusts me. Since I was little I've hated the sound of people rubbing their hands on carpet, it makes me very upset for some reason, when I hear either of those it's like those moments in a horror movie where that's all you can hear and it's SO loud. But I'm assuming these are pet peeves and misophonia is like... a bunch of pet peeves but with a more extreme reaction? What's the difference exactly, I'm curious?
Nitemare Nymphetamine
Never heard of it, but that's very interesting.

Sudden movements and loud noises upset me a lot, but I have PTSD so I doubt it has anything to do with misophonia. I hate when people chew with their mouths open it disgusts me. Since I was little I've hated the sound of people rubbing their hands on carpet, it makes me very upset for some reason, when I hear either of those it's like those moments in a horror movie where that's all you can hear and it's SO loud. But I'm assuming these are pet peeves and misophonia is like... a bunch of pet peeves but with a more extreme reaction? What's the difference exactly, I'm curious?

I think the difference between the average pet peeve and Misophonia is the extreme ways people react and the uncontrollable impulses when said person reacts negatively to things they hear or see - I'm not 100% sure on this though, I just recently learned about it and am still researching the topic.
I think I have misophonia.
If I hear loud, open-mouthed chewing, I become enraged.
If I hear the sound of teeth being brushed (brushing my own isn't a problem), all of my hair stands on end.
If I think of the sound of a fork scraping a plate, I get a shiver.

Friendly Friend

6,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
I didn't know there was a name for the condition by itself, but I do know that it's been associated with some other conditions such as OCD and I think Asperger's Syndrome? Although I may be wrong.

Pretty weird, though, and rather interesting.
There's nothing wrong with you. It's a personal preference. Society is just stupid and has turned everything into a disorder.
Dispers1on
I think I have misophonia.
If I hear loud, open-mouthed chewing, I become enraged.
If I hear the sound of teeth being brushed (brushing my own isn't a problem), all of my hair stands on end.
If I think of the sound of a fork scraping a plate, I get a shiver.

Watch How the Earth Made Man.
It's not a disorder. It's evolutionary.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas