Welcome to Gaia! ::

How are you connected to mental illness?

I have a mental illness 0.73563218390805 73.6% [ 64 ]
I think I have a mental illness. 0.11494252873563 11.5% [ 10 ]
I am a friend/relative of someone with ADHD/ADD. 0.022988505747126 2.3% [ 2 ]
I'm just a curious user. 0.045977011494253 4.6% [ 4 ]
Give me gold. 0.080459770114943 8.0% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 87 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Angelic Poster

7,550 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Friendly 100
Please give a emotion_bigheart above!

☆ Updates ☆
✉ 11/6/2014

☆ About Me ☆
✉ I am a twenty one year old psychology student from Canada. emotion_kirakira
✉ I am an avid gamer and enjoy learning about everything.
✉ I spend a lot of time sleep and posting on Gaia, sweatdrop

☆ About my Mental Illness ☆
✉ My ADHD hindered my learned experiences in middle school, high school and now, college.
✉ I have taken medication for many years, but recently stopped.
✉ I regret coming off of my medication personally, and want them back. gonk
✉ My mood swings have been manageable for about 2 days, Maybe less.

☆ Rules ☆
✉ No being rude or harassing others, this is a serious thread.
✉ Please follow the Gaia's TOS.
✉ Please tag all your spoilers in this code:
[spoiler]Text.[/spoiler]

☆ What this Thread is About ☆
✉ I made this thread because I felt that all users with or without mental illness of any shape, form or severity can have a safe place to come and discuss their symptoms, feelings, opinions, struggles, journeys and everything in between. I figured the Sociology and Psychology would be the best place for this thread instead of the Chatterbox because mental illness are a huge aspect to psychology as a whole.

✉ So come, join us and post about whatever you would like.

☆ Website Archive ☆
✉ Coming soon!

☆ Video Link Archive ☆
✉ Coming soon!

Angelic Poster

7,550 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Friendly 100
☆ Banned Users ☆
✉ These are users that have cruel and hurtful things here.

☆ Contests ☆
25 Bumps = 250,000 User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
50 Bumps = 500,000 User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
100 Bumps = 1,000,000 User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
150 Bumps = 1,500,000 User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
200 Bumps = 2,000,000 User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
500 Bumps = 500,000,000 User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
1000 Bumps = 1,000,000,000 User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Cunning Lunatic

Hope I'm not crashing the thread by posting before you're done with place holders. Just wanted to say I support this idea and was surprised there wasn't something similar already. That said, I am not a psych student but I will lend any help or insight I can. I have a vested interest in these topics, so I'll be around.

Can't <3 via the app, but I'll check back when I get home.

Girl-Crazy Lunatic

10,750 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Timid 100
  • Clambake 200
I feel like there was a thread for this a long time ago, but it might have just been PTSD-specific. Regardless, good to have a new general thread for this topic on here.

Angelic Poster

7,550 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Friendly 100
Terrapin On Down
Hope I'm not crashing the thread by posting before you're done with place holders. Just wanted to say I support this idea and was surprised there wasn't something similar already. That said, I am not a psych student but I will lend any help or insight I can. I have a vested interest in these topics, so I'll be around.

Can't <3 via the app, but I'll check back when I get home.

Naw, this thread is completely open man. emotion_kirakira I was really blown away that some Gaian who has been here before me hasn't already thought of this and started a similar thread already. Being in a psychology program doesn't mean s**t when it comes to my knowledge of mental illness. I'm guaranteed there are thousands (most likely more) of non-psychology students who have much more to bring to the thread than I do. Thank you for your input and I look forward to seeing you around. emotion_kirakira

Angelic Poster

7,550 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Friendly 100
Nitroglycerific Rainbow
I feel like there was a thread for this a long time ago, but it might have just been PTSD-specific. Regardless, good to have a new general thread for this topic on here.

Thank you for your support! emotion_kirakira
I will be working away this weekend gathering resources for others on this thread.

Cunning Lunatic

ghosts11nin

That's an interesting combination. I've never actually been prescribed any sort of medication. But I am highly tolerant to many drugs, so I have to imagine that we'd be similar in that.

Art's always struck me as a great way of coping. Of expressing things that other people don't know, or perhaps can't understand. Without feeling like you're necessarily revealing anything personal. I enjoy art and writing myself, although I've never really felt as though anything were legitimately wrong with me or that I was 'coping' in the sense that most people use the word.

These things may hinder us, for sure, but we don't let the stop us from living our lives and that's what's important.

Witty Phantom

7,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
This is actually a really cool idea. Kudos

Cunning Lunatic

ghosts11nin

nsfw

User Image

Been meaning to reply. I saw your thread about peoples responses to your art, but most of what I do, I do for me. So I didn't have much in the way of insight. Still, I do like what you've posted.

At first I looked at it and had what was probably a very common reaction. I thought, 'huh, that's ...interesting'. But the more I looked at it the more I realized it's just crazy enough that it's the sort of thing I'd bring home. At which point my friends would shake their heads and think typical Jamie.

It does rather remind me of some of the stuff another friend does. The styles are different, but the interpretation of the human body and the colours have interesting similarities.

I have to wonder if it's maybe one of those styles that most people see and can't really wrap their heads around or appreciate right off the bat. I've got friends who see a piece of art online or on someones wall and write it off as rubbish. But then at a gallery they'll see something in the same style or even by the same artist and fall in love with it. Like it's safe to like something abstract or surreal if its in a certain setting or appreciated by a certain crowd. Some people can't think for themselves.

Just keep at it. And hell, if it takes a crazy person to like it...there are plenty of us out there.

Friendly Lunatic

8,400 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
well, in my case, ADHD, aspergers (those two combined are a nightmare without medicine) anixety, and slight depression that occasionally flares up

my way of keeping it under control and not go nuts from the four has been games and writing fanfiction stories as well as reading in general
Hi everyone. I just want you to know that I love and accept you no matter who you are.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff