Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Lunatic

Wouldn't medication get in the way of the brain possibly correcting a deficiency? Is it possible to 'out grow' a mental illness and if so, wouldn't medication get in the way of that happening? Could medication possibly prolong an illness that other wise would have corrected itself?

Greedy Consumer

have a twin, with he has been on medication for years been to the hospital 7ish times for psychosis/schizophrenia and med changes, ive been to the hospital once and refused meds, he continues to have dailyish problems, and im normal (unless u count antisocial).

700 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Maybe, depends on environment and many other things. For some mental illness tends to get worse as they age, especially without any treatment. Then it may be harder to treat.

Familiar Bloodsucker

Some mental disorders may be outgrown as the brain matures, but not all. Sometimes medication is the only alternative to psychosis.

Here, have a neat article:
http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20090830023042data_trunc_sys.shtml
This is one of the reasons why most children are not medicated or heavily medicated at young ages for mental disorders. However in older ppl, the medication isn't designed to be permanent.
Psychiatric medication is a very complex area b/c it's not the same for everyone. With that said, whether or not it's necessary for treatment to be life-long or not depends on the person. Many people, including myself, take an SSRI. An SSRI (selective-serotonin reuptake inhibitor) is a type of anti-depressant. An SSRI raises the level of serotonin in the brain, which "lifts" the mood. That's why anti-depressants are often called "happy pills": they influence serotonin, which is one of the main brain chemicals that influences the mood.
Will a person have to stay on an SSRI forever? Again, it depends on the person. There are some people who will always need to take an SSRI just b/c of their natural brain chemistry. However, there are some people who won't always need to take one.
Like I said, it's a very complex thing. In psychiatry and psychology, one exact thing doesn't apply to everyone. There are different kinds of SSRIs and different doses. What I'm taking right now won't apply to everyone else. It might be too powerful or just have dangerous side effects to someone else. See what I mean?
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
have a twin, with he has been on medication for years been to the hospital 7ish times for psychosis/schizophrenia and med changes, ive been to the hospital once and refused meds, he continues to have dailyish problems, and im normal (unless u count antisocial).

How are you antisocial?
DXnobodyX
This is one of the reasons why most children are not medicated or heavily medicated at young ages for mental disorders. However in older ppl, the medication isn't designed to be permanent.

Huge numbers of children are heavily medicated at a young age. Although it is known that psychoactive medication affects children differently than adults medication is generally prescribed to children upon the evidence that it is effective in treating what is considered an organic deficiency in adults. Although there is much debate on the subject - there is not a single psychological diagnosis in children that is not contended - and that many treatments are known to be harmful - ADHD is commonly treated with diet drugs, amphetamines, which are known to stunt growth - it remains a very popular avenue. Largely this is due to a success in marketing - it has long been observed that doctors are unsympathetic of psychological ailment but selling them as organ deficiencies for which there are pills available empowers them to act on what they know nothing about - and in a narcissistic tendency in parenting - the refusal to believe that one's child by virtue of heredity could be a miscreant, that the cause of problem behaviour must stem from an outside source such as the child's brain - that have allowed behaviour modifying drugs to become a massive industry. Luckily children are not citizens so they have diminished rights and recourse in these regards.
CH1YO
DXnobodyX

Huge numbers of children are heavily medicated at a young age. Although it is known that psychoactive medication affects children differently than adults medication is generally prescribed to children upon the evidence that it is effective in treating what is considered an organic deficiency in adults. Although there is much debate on the subject - there is not a single psychological diagnosis in children that is not contended - and that many treatments are known to be harmful - ADHD is commonly treated with diet drugs, amphetamines, which are known to stunt growth - it remains a very popular avenue. Largely this is due to a success in marketing - it has long been observed that doctors are unsympathetic of psychological ailment but selling them as organ deficiencies for which there are pills available empowers them to act on what they know nothing about - and in a narcissistic tendency in parenting - the refusal to believe that one's child by virtue of heredity could be a miscreant, that the cause of problem behaviour must stem from an outside source such as the child's brain - that have allowed behaviour modifying drugs to become a massive industry. Luckily children are not citizens so they have diminished rights and recourse in these regards.

I assume its italisised for a reason? where did you get it from and can I read it please?
DXnobodyX
CH1YO
DXnobodyX

I assume its italisised for a reason? where did you get it from and can I read it please?

It was italicised just because I am adverse to long passages of unbroken text on screen. They were my words and you are entitled to have read them.

Lonely Lunatic

CH1YO
DXnobodyX

I was drugged so heavily as a child I suffered from stimulant psychosis. I was hoping no one would add onto the child drugging, it's upsetting.
Yevpraksiya
CH1YO
DXnobodyX

I was drugged so heavily as a child I suffered from stimulant psychosis. I was hoping no one would add onto the child drugging, it's upsetting.

I couldn't agree more, it's horrid.

Beloved Prophet

5,500 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
WARNING: Side effects may include-

Yup.
CH1YO
DXnobodyX
CH1YO
DXnobodyX

It was italicised just because I am adverse to long passages of unbroken text on screen. They were my words and you are entitled to have read them.

I was really just interested if they had evidence that childrens doses are similar or the same as adult dosage?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff