Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Has there ever been a school shut down for an outbreak of laughing?

You're off your gord if you think that's true 0.35135135135135 35.1% [ 13 ]
Yep, 0.16216216216216 16.2% [ 6 ]
I DO NOT KNOW 0.48648648648649 48.6% [ 18 ]
Total Votes:[ 37 ]
< 1 2 3 >

8,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Gender Swap 100
AvenirLegacy
Laughter is one of the many realms of the Internet.

Like your Siggy.
Yes, without some of the funny things said by people online or videos. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get online nearly as often.

Greedy Consumer

shadowedivinity
We Are Organisms
shadowedivinity
We Are Organisms
shadowedivinity
We all laugh, but have you ever thought of why we laugh? Turns out there's several reasons ranging from relief theory to superiority theory. Anyway, about only 20 percent of what we laugh at is jokes or humor and the rest is from nonserious things like... "bye, see you later' or "That party was awsome"

Anyway, I kind of just want to discuss this, so...have at it hound dogs.

answer to poll. Is yes. There was a school in Tanzania that had to have a boarding school close for a while.
but why did it close down? there were laughing shrooms in the soup or something? or there was somethign they all found funny and couldnt stop laughing for hours at a time, perhaps a chemical leak..
No the school in Tanzania was just a really bizarre case of contagious laughter. Oddly enough none of the teachers caught it and it was mostly the girl students who later went home and spread it to their mothers, but not their fathers.
interesting.
Yep, and statistically speaking women are 126% more likely to laugh in a conversation between a man and a woman then men are.
Also,something irrelevant but needs to be said, I like your username.
I wonder how that statistic was found, some cultures might have different numbers for example, or different age groups. Thanks.

8,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Gender Swap 100
We Are Organisms
shadowedivinity
We Are Organisms
shadowedivinity
We Are Organisms
shadowedivinity
We all laugh, but have you ever thought of why we laugh? Turns out there's several reasons ranging from relief theory to superiority theory. Anyway, about only 20 percent of what we laugh at is jokes or humor and the rest is from nonserious things like... "bye, see you later' or "That party was awsome"

Anyway, I kind of just want to discuss this, so...have at it hound dogs.

answer to poll. Is yes. There was a school in Tanzania that had to have a boarding school close for a while.
but why did it close down? there were laughing shrooms in the soup or something? or there was somethign they all found funny and couldnt stop laughing for hours at a time, perhaps a chemical leak..
No the school in Tanzania was just a really bizarre case of contagious laughter. Oddly enough none of the teachers caught it and it was mostly the girl students who later went home and spread it to their mothers, but not their fathers.
interesting.
Yep, and statistically speaking women are 126% more likely to laugh in a conversation between a man and a woman then men are.
I wonder how that statistic was found, some cultures might have different numbers for example, or different age groups. Thanks.
A guy named Robert Provine went and watched people. There was also a German couple that studied people meeting for the first time. Laughter does differ with age and culture as well as where you are at in your job. For example in an eastern culture a woman's laughter might indicate an act of being submissive or that a man's laughter will increase slightly as well as become a little more feminine when they are in a conversation with a boss that is female.

Greedy Consumer

shadowedivinity
We Are Organisms
shadowedivinity
We Are Organisms
shadowedivinity
interesting.
A guy named Robert Provine went and watched people. There was also a German couple that studied people meeting for the first time. Laughter does differ with age and culture as well as where you are at in your job. For example in an eastern culture a woman's laughter might indicate an act of being submissive or that a man's laughter will increase slightly as well as become a little more feminine when they are in a conversation with a boss that is female.
perhaps then men are simply more uptight.

8,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Gender Swap 100
We Are Organisms
shadowedivinity
We Are Organisms
shadowedivinity
We Are Organisms
shadowedivinity
interesting.
perhaps then men are simply more uptight.
Well, actually men typically are the joke tellers. I mean think of your class clown, the chances are they were a male, or if that doesn't work for you think of comedians. I bet you can think of more male comedians then you can think of female comedians.
Anyway, I just think of it as one of those weird things that separate the gender classes.

King Millionaire

Sounds like someone leaked N2O in the vents or something. That's awesome. Muwahahhaahaha....l rofl

8,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Gender Swap 100
Ill Dante llI
Sounds like someone leaked N2O in the vents or something. That's awesome. Muwahahhaahaha....l rofl
No N20 just a strong case of the hysterical giggles. Wouldn't that be hard to brush your teeth with that though?
I read somewhere that we laugh, because something unexpected happened. Sometimes it's because of relief.
People laugh because:

It's a good way to release stress.
laugh off inconvenient/unpredictable situations because he/she doesn't know how to react differently on the spot.
feeling amused
anger/frustration...though it stems from stress. so it's kinda the same thing.

oh and btw - I think that men try to be funny and tell off jokes because in our society, men feel they must impress other people intellectually more than women. Women feel that they need to impress in other ways (e.i looking good) and less by telling off jokes.

Women can be funny , but they're better at "on the spot" kind of jokes, less on telling a joke.

Before jumping on me, it's MY opinion from my own experience.
Well, in part, laughter is a social mechanism--that is to say, when we laugh we're essentially saying, "I find this comment and/or situation amusing, and based on our shared experiences, I expect you may also find it so. Let us bond upon our commonalities in this regard."

You could also look into an evoltionary perspective and compare our laughter to laughter in chimpanzees. In chimpanzee cultures laughter is a signifier of submission.

8,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Gender Swap 100
Pam Pong
Well, in part, laughter is a social mechanism--that is to say, when we laugh we're essentially saying, "I find this comment and/or situation amusing, and based on our shared experiences, I expect you may also find it so. Let us bond upon our commonalities in this regard."

You could also look into an evoltionary perspective and compare our laughter to laughter in chimpanzees. In chimpanzee cultures laughter is a signifier of submission.
I'm not sure about chimpanzees, but I do know that some researchers suggest that laughter evolved as a way for humans to communicate to other humans that a danger has been avoided and that everything is fine.

Timid Explorer

Laughter is the greatest exercise that could have ever existed! It's good emotionally, and is a lung exercise biggrin DDDD whee

Tipsy Noob

9,000 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Laughter doesn't necessarily mean amusement or happiness etc. Some people just use it as cover.

8,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Gender Swap 100
myxtape
Laughter doesn't necessarily mean amusement or happiness etc. Some people just use it as cover.
what do you mean because I know laughter can be used to hide embarrassment

Dedicated Hunter

I wouldn't be as curious as to why the brain would use it to mask any emotion but more so as to why we would use it to hunt like a hyena. It's quite a memorable impression if you ask me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff