Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Man-Lover

I would abort in a heartbeat if I wasn't able to provide a proper home for the child or if I knew that the child would have a horrible life.
I'm pro-choice. As while I feel the baby has the right to life, I also feel there are situations where bringing that life to fruit might not be in the best interest of the fetus. There has to be the right supports and decent quality of life for that child to arrive and thrive.

That said, for myself. I would abort if my doctor told me my infant would be nothing but a vegetable (unresponsive, no interaction). I've seen people with severe disabilities still be able to enjoy a song, the sun on their face and scream their staff out of a room if they didn't like something. I'm also lucky I live in a country where there are support services available to assist people and their families with overcoming many physical and developmental challenges.

If I had been raped, I would be immeditely seeking out prevention methods. If the fetus still managed to develop, I don't know. If it was healthy, I might let it develop,try to love, and create something beautiful from an awful situation. If I couldn't there is adoption.

For lack of financial and fatherly support. Well I do have my family to back me up so that isn't an issue.
I would think we should know at what point does the fetus stop being just a fertilized egg, and actually become a separate person? At what point does it become its own entity, or when does it actually have a soul? This would be something worth studying.... though I don't know how we'd find out though.

5,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Member 100
Brispir
I would think we should know at what point does the fetus stop being just a fertilized egg, and actually become a separate person? At what point does it become its own entity, or when does it actually have a soul? This would be something worth studying.... though I don't know how we'd find out though.

Thing is, as of yet, souls haven't been scientifically proven or disproven so that part is ambiguous. In my personal opinion, a fetus is a seperate person when it can survive outside of the womb.
Brispir

Some people believe that the moment the heart starts beating is the moment the fetus should be considered a being.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
You don't abort children.
You abort fetuses or embryos.

Please get your terminology right.

Witty Heckler

10,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Gods Receptionist

I personally think that if the fetus will become a child should an abortion NOT take place, and there is no high chance that the mother or both will die during birth that an abortion should be discouraged.

Every one has the right to live their life, and no one should have the right to decide whether or not your life is worth living.

Say 'oh your father raped your mother, so you don't get to live. In fact, you'll never get the chance to make friends, find out what your favorite color is, or ever know if you like sports or art.'

However, once someone decides to have an abortion, it shouldn't be anyone's business.

In short, abortion should be discouraged unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. But regardless of the circumstances, once the decision is made, no one should have the right to make the person feel horrible about it.

Witty Heckler

10,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Blood Valkyrie
If you don't get an abortion, wont the fetus become a child?

So what, it's okay to say 'I don't feel like your life is worth the trouble of giving birth because you're not technically a person?' Just because a fetus hasn't grown into a child yet, doesn't mean they wont if you DON"T kill them.

The whole 'it's not a child, it's a fetus' is a horrible self induced blindness to keep people from feeling bad about it. It really drives me nuts.

Abortion should be discouraged, but after the fact it's no one's darn business. Diluting the importance of abortion and the loss of the life that's already in the making is . . . I can't even put words to it.

Abortion is a very difficult decision, not something to be brushed off as if it 'doesn't really matter'

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Kianma
Blood Valkyrie
If you don't get an abortion, wont the fetus become a child?

So what, it's okay to say 'I don't feel like your life is worth the trouble of giving birth because you're not technically a person?' Just because a fetus hasn't grown into a child yet, doesn't mean they wont if you DON"T kill them.

The whole 'it's not a child, it's a fetus' is a horrible self induced blindness to keep people from feeling bad about it. It really drives me nuts.

Abortion should be discouraged, but after the fact it's no one's darn business. Diluting the importance of abortion and the loss of the life that's already in the making is . . . I can't even put words to it.

Abortion is a very difficult decision, not something to be brushed off as if it 'doesn't really matter'

Please do not assume I am not aware that abortion is a serious thing.

I was a little peeved because the OP used the phrase "abort a child."
This OP was using terminology that could give a person the wrong idea. To think of something that isn't a fully formed human as a child is a dangerous thought to have. Now, when a pregnant mother or a father of a pregnant mother already has an emotional attachment to a fetus or an embryo, that is more than reasonable. It's a sign of their love for their unborn child. Yet, if we all assumed that these fetuses and embryos are children, then we could assume that abortion is murder, but it is not. Abortion is very much a serious thing, but that doesn't mean it's okay for someone to be misleading.

Have a good day.

Witty Heckler

10,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Thyna
I'm pro-choice. As while I feel the baby has the right to life, I also feel there are situations where bringing that life to fruit might not be in the best interest of the fetus.
Suppose YOU'RE the fetus, and there's this whole life un-lived in front of you.

Is it really okay for someone else to decide whether or not your life is worth living?

I've lived a difficult life full of turmoil and trouble, but it's better than not living at all. Taking away someone's life in exchange for nothing-ness just seems cruel in my opinion.

I can't say I'm pro-anything. I think that abortion should be discouraged as a last-resort sort of thing, but once someone decides to have one, I don't think it's anyone's damn business. The mother has the right to choose, but shouldn't a life that will become a child in the absence of abortion, have a fighting chance?

I've known people who are brutally harassed because they had an abortion, and that's wrong no matter which way you look at it.

But I also know people who never even considered abortion until the doctor 'brought it up' because they were young, and suddenly they were faced with this difficult decision.

I say discourage it, but keep it confidential. The act should be discouraged, but looking down on someone for making the choice to have an abortion should be discouraged a thousand fold.

It's not right to keep someone from living a happy (ar as happy as can be) life. This includes both the unborn child, and the would be mother.

Witty Heckler

10,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Blood Valkyrie
Alright, I get the hint. Just looking for a good discussion with varying view points. I'm writing a play on it, and I need a good idea of how to write the different view points. Not everyone's the same as I am.

Personally though, I think it's worse to take the entirety of a persons life away than to take the rest of it away. I get nightmares sometimes of being an aborted child, and never being able to see light, or know what the ocean smells like. I guess it's my first-hand experience with almost-aborted children. It just scares me that someone would say 'it's scary so I'll get rid of it'. It just rubs me the wrong way.

Regardless, thanks for your opinion on the matter! It really helps a lot. ^^

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Kianma
Blood Valkyrie
Alright, I get the hint. Just looking for a good discussion with varying view points. I'm writing a play on it, and I need a good idea of how to write the different view points. Not everyone's the same as I am.

Personally though, I think it's worse to take the entirety of a persons life away than to take the rest of it away. I get nightmares sometimes of being an aborted child, and never being able to see light, or know what the ocean smells like. I guess it's my first-hand experience with almost-aborted children. It just scares me that someone would say 'it's scary so I'll get rid of it'. It just rubs me the wrong way.

Regardless, thanks for your opinion on the matter! It really helps a lot. ^^

No problem.

5,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
Even against the odds, it deserves a chance at life

Bibliophile

23,850 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Hero 100
Kianma
Thyna
I'm pro-choice. As while I feel the baby has the right to life, I also feel there are situations where bringing that life to fruit might not be in the best interest of the fetus.
Suppose YOU'RE the fetus, and there's this whole life un-lived in front of you.

Is it really okay for someone else to decide whether or not your life is worth living?

I've lived a difficult life full of turmoil and trouble, but it's better than not living at all. Taking away someone's life in exchange for nothing-ness just seems cruel in my opinion.

I can't say I'm pro-anything. I think that abortion should be discouraged as a last-resort sort of thing, but once someone decides to have one, I don't think it's anyone's damn business. The mother has the right to choose, but shouldn't a life that will become a child in the absence of abortion, have a fighting chance?

I've known people who are brutally harassed because they had an abortion, and that's wrong no matter which way you look at it.

But I also know people who never even considered abortion until the doctor 'brought it up' because they were young, and suddenly they were faced with this difficult decision.

I say discourage it, but keep it confidential. The act should be discouraged, but looking down on someone for making the choice to have an abortion should be discouraged a thousand fold.

It's not right to keep someone from living a happy (ar as happy as can be) life. This includes both the unborn child, and the would be mother.

As an insentient foetus, I couldn't decide whether anything was or wasn't okay, or have any opinions about whether or not I should be aborted, because I wasn't capable of thought.

Assuming, though, that I could somehow be both non-sentient and also have the consciousness I have now, if my mother had wanted to abort me, I would fully support her. Because I love my mum. If going through a pregnancy would be so awful for her that she wanted an abortion, I'm not selfish enough to demand that she make such a sacrifice for me. Especially because I wouldn't know anything about it - I wouldn't be aware that there was a whole un-lived life in front of me, I wouldn't feel like I was missing out on anything, I wouldn't feel like something was being taken away from me. I'd just never come to exist.

I'm curious though - how would you actively discourage something whilst also not making the people who do it anyway feel bad?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff