Welcome to Gaia! ::

Goldgato
CH1YO
Goldgato
CH1YO
Goldgato
CH1YO

The criteria are culturally bound; the definition is obligated to recognise this fact.

How is criteria bound to culture?

Provide your favourite definition of paraphilia and I will explain with reference.

Well I usually refer to the commonly accepted psychiatric definition which includes fantasies, urges, or behavior concerning non-human objects, the suffering or humiliation of oneself or one's partner, children, and non-consenting partners.

Provide, do not allude to.

I did provide it.

If you encountered " includes fantasies, urges, or behavior concerning non-human objects, the suffering or humiliation of oneself or one's partner, children, and non-consenting partners" as a dictionary entry would you really not be disappointed?

Blessed Phantom

5,600 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100
CH1YO
Goldgato
CH1YO
Goldgato
CH1YO

Provide your favourite definition of paraphilia and I will explain with reference.

Well I usually refer to the commonly accepted psychiatric definition which includes fantasies, urges, or behavior concerning non-human objects, the suffering or humiliation of oneself or one's partner, children, and non-consenting partners.

I did provide it.

If you encountered " includes fantasies, urges, or behavior concerning non-human objects, the suffering or humiliation of oneself or one's partner, children, and non-consenting partners" as a dictionary entry would you really not be disappointed?

Doesn't matter, that's how paraphilia is defined by psychiatry.
Goldgato
CH1YO
Goldgato
CH1YO
Goldgato
CH1YO

I did provide it.

No, that is simply false. Nothing is defined by such indefinite terms.

Blessed Phantom

5,600 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100
CH1YO
Goldgato
CH1YO
Goldgato
CH1YO

I did provide it.

So how is it defined?

Original Gaian

8,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
"...sexual arousal to objects, situations, or individuals that are not part of normative stimulation. Paraphilia involves sexual arousal and gratification, involving a sexual behavior that is atypical or extreme."
In other words, anything that falls outside the unf-unf-unf-BABY! paradigm. Note that a paraphilia is not necessarily pathological--again, being weird is part of the equation, but it's not enough. Just like how not everyone who believes 9/11 was an inside job is necessarily insane--paranoia is only clinically significant if it's destroying your life or leading you to hurt others.
Goldgato
CH1YO
Goldgato
CH1YO
Goldgato
CH1YO

I did provide it.

So how is it defined?

I don't mind specifically but with an actual definition.

4,450 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
CH1YO
Rose die Valkyrie
I think the words "orientation" and even "fetish" aren't very accurate in their definitions of sexuality.

"Preference" I think is a better term, since it has much broader connotations from what gender you prefer to what position to what paraphernalia etc.

Preference is not so much more accurate as it is so imprecise as to seldom be wholly wrong.

I think it's more appropriate though, given that the the current precise categories are highly influenced by outdated and even unfounded assumptions and theories about human sexuality.

"Preference" reflects the fact that the study of sexual psychology is not an exact science.
Rose die Valkyrie
CH1YO
Rose die Valkyrie
I think the words "orientation" and even "fetish" aren't very accurate in their definitions of sexuality.

"Preference" I think is a better term, since it has much broader connotations from what gender you prefer to what position to what paraphernalia etc.

Preference is not so much more accurate as it is so imprecise as to seldom be wholly wrong.

I think it's more appropriate though, given that the the current precise categories are highly influenced by outdated and even unfounded assumptions and theories about human sexuality.

"Preference" reflects the fact that the study of sexual psychology is not an exact science.

To take that idea further we could change the terminology from "has a preference for [in this case children]" to "likes [in this case children] bestest of all".

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
I don't know why this has spanned seven pages, but for anyone wondering, ***** is indeed a paraphilia (or fetish as OP called it) and not an orientation. The evidence for that is that the sole difference between an orientation and a fetish/paraphilia is that an orientation cannot be created or lost, while anyone can develop a fetish or paraphilia.

Any person, currently a ***** or not, can become a ***** through basic conditioning.

No person who is currently a heterosexual can become a homosexual (or vice versa), thus something along the lines of homosexuality is an orientation.

It's as simple as that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces