Welcome to Gaia! ::

Romantic Friend

9,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100
I want to know some down sides to cutting yourself and some upsides if anyone here does that sort of thing and can help clear some things up for me?

6,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
The downside is ugly arms, lots of questions and drama whenever people see them (like on the beach, or at the job interview 5 years later) and that you might scar muscles or tendons of you overdo it.
The upside is... ...something you should already know by now. If you find it comforting, you find it comforting.
This is a picture of my left wrist.

http://i40.tinypic.com/332a547.jpg

I'm 27 years old and that scar is over 10 years old. To this day I regret it. I use bracelets and watches and wristbands to hide it. I've gotten into muscle patterns of turning my left wrist downwards for certain tasks. It's extremely embarrassing and that scar is never going to fully heal.

Please talk to someone you can trust instead of self injuring. It's not worth it.
There isn't an upside its all downside.
Upside: it feels good
Downside: you lose blood.

Romantic Friend

9,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100
WobinA
This is a picture of my left wrist.

http://i40.tinypic.com/332a547.jpg

I'm 27 years old and that scar is over 10 years old. To this day I regret it. I use bracelets and watches and wristbands to hide it. I've gotten into muscle patterns of turning my left wrist downwards for certain tasks. It's extremely embarrassing and that scar is never going to fully heal.

Please talk to someone you can trust instead of self injuring. It's not worth it.

I'm so sorry <3
And I have no one to talk to...
On a positive note it can give you something to focus on when you are in a state of high anxiety. This is an effect that wears off over time; it remains a coping mechanism but it ceases to work as well.

As far as negatives go it leaves visible traces that last. Also it will lead to social stigma, therefore making the problems which prompted the behaviour worse rather than better. Practically it can cause damage to soft tissues, is a source of infection, can create a mess and also can be quite time consuming. It is rare to die from blood loss caused by self harm however.

2,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
ther are no upsides and i you have one one to talk to talk to me, i wish people would take me sirsly when i say that they probly think im nuts

5,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Member 100
Nobody to talk to?
- friends
- relatives
- parents
- school counsellor
- therapist

Distinct Conversationalist

7,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
The world scars you enough
you don't have to scar yourself

But if it's a cry for help...why don't you just cry for help

Beloved Lunatic

9,050 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
CH1YO
On a positive note it can give you something to focus on when you are in a state of high anxiety. This is an effect that wears off over time; it remains a coping mechanism but it ceases to work as well.

As far as negatives go it leaves visible traces that last. Also it will lead to social stigma, therefore making the problems which prompted the behaviour worse rather than better. Practically it can cause damage to soft tissues, is a source of infection, can create a mess and also can be quite time consuming. It is rare to die from blood loss caused by self harm however.

That is definitely true, the positive note. The process of cutting releases endorphins that will relieve those feelings. That's really the only "good" thing one can obtain from self-mutilation.
Mrs Blunder
CH1YO

That is definitely true, the positive note. The process of cutting releases endorphins that will relieve those feelings. That's really the only "good" thing one can obtain from self-mutilation.

Endorphins are a misnomer, they simply confuse things. The effects lessen with repetition anyway.

Beloved Lunatic

9,050 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
CH1YO
Mrs Blunder
CH1YO

Endorphins are a misnomer, they simply confuse things. The effects lessen with repetition anyway.

The idea of diminishing returns would only make self-mutilation less appealing, you'd think... Hm.
Mrs Blunder
CH1YO
Mrs Blunder
CH1YO

The idea of diminishing returns would only make self-mutilation less appealing, you'd think... Hm.

It is habit forming behaviour.
CH1YO
Mrs Blunder
CH1YO
Mrs Blunder
CH1YO

It is habit forming behaviour.

The benefit comes from distraction, I have yet to see it proved that there is any sort of endorphic (is that even a word) action going on.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff