Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Dabbler

I'm taking a really interesting class on Trauma.
And we petitioned to my teacher to have us to a class community project instead of a final exam.
So we're making a video/photo montage to raise awareness about the impact that trauma has on society as a whole, as well as individuals.
Trauma including things like a car accident, natural disaster, rape, or something like chronic childhood sexual abuse, or domestic violence. Anything like that.
If you're a trauma survivor, know someone who is, or feel as if you've been impacted by a trauma in some way, could you give me a quote (or a picture of you holding a sign with your quote on it) saying something along the lines of "trauma cost me _____. I want the world to know _____ about trauma"
i'd prefer it not to be that word for word, but something that talks about that. Just something short. Kind of like those things all over buzzfeed with pictures of individuals sharing their stories of sexual abuse.
If you aren't comfortable posting anything about it in here, PLEASE PM it to me instead. Everything you say will remain anonymous, unless you don't want it to be.

I'd really appreciate anything that you guys could give me for this :]

User_36180205's Husband

Shameless Sex Symbol

When I was 6 years old I ran through a plate glass window. I have 3 major scars from this accident. On my right arm there is a scar 0.7 cm wide 3.4 cm long scar that is in a straight line. On my left knee there are two scars. My hairy legs cover them now. But, they're 2.0 cm by 2.2 cm. The other one is is 1.2cm by 4.0cm. Lastly, my wrist has a pitch fork shaped scar. 5.2 cm long, 2.3cm wide. These scars still cover the majority of the area they are in for my body proportions. I'm 21 now. So, I'm a full grown adult. When I was a kid the wounds covered my entire hand/wrist, arm and knee. Looking down and reflecting on the scars. My memories play trick on me and the scars don't line up with the injuries. So, just my perception of my scars is a bit odd. I think it's cool at the same time. Though I don't know how this could help you.

Also, something that might help you. This event could have easily killed me. I suffered major blood loss and severed tendons and nerves in my wrist. So, even in a better case me loosing function in my left hand would have been good in a sense. After surgery I made a complete recovery. Though I almost lost my life, I had no idea at all. Death never phased me even once during the entire experience. As such a young child when this happened. I didn't view this accident as any different than a normal scrape on the knee. I cried for my parents. I didn't really have a perception of death. I knew animals died then, but my thoughts didn't really register with death. As they would now.

Now, This event. It didn't affect me at all in my adult life. It hasn't really changed my perception of anything. So, what I'm getting at is even major trauma in a young child's life could have no affects outside the event itself. Of course, this might be different if I lost function in my left hand giving me a huge handicap.

Dapper Dabbler

Vicious Nex
When I was 6 years old I ran through a plate glass window. I have 3 major scars from this accident. On my right arm there is a scar 0.7 cm wide 3.4 cm long scar that is in a straight line. On my left knee there are two scars. My hairy legs cover them now. But, they're 2.0 cm by 2.2 cm. The other one is is 1.2cm by 4.0cm. Lastly, my wrist has a pitch fork shaped scar. 5.2 cm long, 2.3cm wide. These scars still cover the majority of the area they are in for my body proportions. I'm 21 now. So, I'm a full grown adult. When I was a kid the wounds covered my entire hand/wrist, arm and knee. Looking down and reflecting on the scars. My memories play trick on me and the scars don't line up with the injuries. So, just my perception of my scars is a bit odd. I think it's cool at the same time. Though I don't know how this could help you.

Also, something that might help you. This event could have easily killed me. I suffered major blood loss and severed tendons and nerves in my wrist. So, even in a better case me loosing function in my left hand would have been good in a sense. After surgery I made a complete recovery. Though I almost lost my life, I had no idea at all. Death never phased me even once during the entire experience. As such a young child when this happened. I didn't view this accident as any different than a normal scrape on the knee. I cried for my parents. I didn't really have a perception of death. I knew animals died then, but my thoughts didn't really register with death. As they would now.

Now, This event. It didn't affect me at all in my adult life. It hasn't really changed my perception of anything. So, what I'm getting at is even major trauma in a young child's life could have no affects outside the event itself. Of course, this might be different if I lost function in my left hand giving me a huge handicap.
You're right that a major trauma doesn't ALWAYS have lasting effects on a child. But in your case, it was largely because you had a supportive loving family, it was an isolated incident, and you got the medical attention you needed. I'm assuming it had a financial cost though, which is definitely something.

User_36180205's Husband

Shameless Sex Symbol

Pterrifying
You're right that a major trauma doesn't ALWAYS have lasting effects on a child. But in your case, it was largely because you had a supportive loving family, it was an isolated incident, and you got the medical attention you needed. I'm assuming it had a financial cost though, which is definitely something.

My mother worked at a dentition center and had my sister and I covered for life insurance. So, even the financial cost wasn't that great. My father was abusive and he had major drug problems so my family life wasn't always the best at times. I would have to say I had the most support from my grandparents because my parents would drop us off their for extended periods of times, constantly. My child hood wasn't the best but it was by far wasn't the worst.

Dapper Dabbler

Vicious Nex
Pterrifying

My mother worked at a dentition center and had my sister and I covered for life insurance. So, even the financial cost wasn't that great. My father was abusive and he had major drug problems so my family life wasn't always the best at times. I would have to say I had the most support from my grandparents because my parents would drop us off their for extended periods of times, constantly. My child hood wasn't the best but it was by far wasn't the worst.
I would say your father being abusive and using drugs would be more of a trauma than the incident of the glass.
Did that cost you anything in your life? Like, did that have any lasting effects on you?

User_36180205's Husband

Shameless Sex Symbol

Pterrifying
Vicious Nex
Pterrifying

I would say your father being abusive and using drugs would be more of a trauma than the incident of the glass.
Did that cost you anything in your life? Like, did that have any lasting effects on you?

Trauma is a physical wound to the body caused by an external source but I'm guessing you want more psychological trauma. When he would randomly get in moods and beat me. It left me two things, a body that was bruised temporarily, and a hatred that was permanent. I would kill him in an instance if there wasn't repercussions but at the same time I don't dwell on thinking of him. I've disowned myself from him and even most of my family. I've even thought about changing my last name, but that would be to much work. So, If I ever have children they will not be inheriting my last name.

Dapper Dabbler

Vicious Nex
Pterrifying
Vicious Nex
Pterrifying

Trauma is a physical wound to the body caused by an external source but I'm guessing you want more psychological trauma. When he would randomly get in moods and beat me. It left me two things, a body that was bruised temporarily, and a hatred that was permanent. I would kill him in an instance if there wasn't repercussions but at the same time I don't dwell on thinking of him. I've disowned myself from him and even most of my family. I've even thought about changing my last name, but that would be to much work. So, If I ever have children they will not be inheriting my last name.
Well. I did say this is for a psych class, and it's in a psych forum. lol
Sorry for not specifying though. Physical trauma can produce psychological trauma.
But I am very sorry for what happened to you. But I am glad that you removed yourself from it all, and seem to have moved past it enough to function. Which is much more than most can say. And it sounds like it's good that you had your grandparents

User_36180205's Husband

Shameless Sex Symbol

Pterrifying
Vicious Nex
Pterrifying
Vicious Nex
Pterrifying

Sorry for not specifying though. Physical trauma can produce psychological trauma.
But I am very sorry for what happened to you. But I am glad that you removed yourself from it all, and seem to have moved past it enough to function. Which is much more than most can say. And it sounds like it's good that you had your grandparents

I lost my grandma a while back. It was tuff, but my grandpa is still around and is healthy as an ox. I love them both. I just miss her a lot. Seems like anything good happens to me randomly shes a part of it though. I know its just my mind associating things with her but it does feel nice. Anywho! Good luck on your project. I hope I helped out some!

Dapper Dabbler

Vicious Nex
Pterrifying
Vicious Nex
Pterrifying
Vicious Nex
Pterrifying

I lost my grandma a while back. It was tuff, but my grandpa is still around and is healthy as an ox. I love them both. I just miss her a lot. Seems like anything good happens to me randomly shes a part of it though. I know its just my mind associating things with her but it does feel nice. Anywho! Good luck on your project. I hope I helped out some!

Thanks!
If I summed up what you said about your family into a quote that relates to what we're trying to get, would you be ok with "Trauma cost me a relationship with my family" or something? or something similar to that, but about your last name?

User_36180205's Husband

Shameless Sex Symbol

Pterrifying
If I summed up what you said about your family into a quote that relates to what we're trying to get, would you be ok with "Trauma cost me a relationship with my family" or something? or something similar to that, but about your last name?

Go for it!

Dapper Dabbler

Vicious Nex
Pterrifying

Go for it!
Ok great 4laugh Thank you so much

Timid Werewolf

This sounds like a very interesting project. How is it going?

Dapper Dabbler

Nitemare Nymphetamine
This sounds like a very interesting project. How is it going?
Well we only have the class once a week, and we haven't had it since we decided to do this lol So it's still in the brainstorming phase, where we don't know EXACTLY what we're going to do with it yet. But a lot of people have gotten some interesting things from people! A friend talked to her brother-in-law who's a veteran with PTSD.
My childhood was filled with a lot of loneliness and pain. Drugs and alcohol were a huge part of my parents time, and I didn't have a single friend until I was in 4th grade. Until I turned 12, she was my only friend. But, at 12 my sister because my best friend. I played with stuffed animals out of sheer loneliness. No one like me in school. I wasn't popular, or pretty. My first boyfriend was in my Freshman year of highschool. It lasted two months. My next boyfriend used me (forced, more like) for sex, and left me 16, homeless, and pregnant.

I've been abused physically, emotionally, mentally, and sexually.

To this day, I can't stand people touching me. There are a select few (my dogs, son, mother, sister), but in general, no touching please. No hugs, no hand-holding, no kissing... nothing.

Trauma has affected my life and has cost me the chance of having a healthy relationship with another person.

I hope this helps. :]

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces