Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clean Gaian

3,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
Welcome to the "height-ism" thread,

Here we, as in the members of this website, discuss why height is an advantage or disadvantage in various aspects of life such as labor market, socialization, upbringing, etc. If discussion of height is a sensitive topic for you -the reader- I recommend hitting the back arrow button.

So, here goes!

As a short person 4,11" I think there are some advantages and disadvantages when dealing with other people in society. My immediate family, relatives, friends and acquaintances have told me I'm "cute" and that being an Asian girl adds to that; I dislike how people pat my head, make my shoulder their elbow rest and presume to lay their hands on my flat chest and so following calling me a child- I'm a young adult for Christ's sake!

People tend to disrespect short people. I have seen tall people given a lot more attention and respect in terms of no interruptions during conversations, higher annual salary when compared to others in the same position and department, generally well liked and recognized for their achievements.

What does everyone else think?
I have not much to say on the matter except for that being tall is great.

Seeker

I am 6'1" and I get no more respect than any of my shorter friends, I get interuppted all the time, I've never had a job so no comment on that aspect, and the most I've ever even had my height acknowledged is when people meet me first sitting down, and then I stand up, and they say, "******** you're tall." or something to that effect. After noticing I'm tall I've never heard it come up again, ever.

In short, I've no idea what you're talking about, but I suppose I don't have any incredibly short friends to see the reverse effects or lack there of you mention. Sorry.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Proof of higher annual salary? Being 5'3, and my husband an entire foot taller, we do make an odd pair to look at because I come at just about mid chest or so and he has to lean waaay down to kiss me.

I've gotten paid more than my co-workers, and also less usually because there are perks and incentives in my various areas of work, bonuses and whatnot. I also get the whole "YER THE PERFECT ARMREST!" stuff, but I have a growing D chest, so I don't get the feeling of being infantilized because I have a larger, curvier rump and chest to make up for how young I look. Hell, just put me in pigtails and my husband would be looked at like he's a cradle-robber!

Anyways, I tend to not really find shorter men as attractive as taller men. I am one of those old-fashioned type women who likes to feel towered over, protected and whatnot. Not to say that people my own height can't be sexy, I have certainly seen some men who could fit the bill, but there's just something masculine about being tall.

your big bro's Significant Otter

Icy Rogue

Can we just agree that taller is better and /thread?

I believe that outside of disease-related height disorders, this is true for both genders in modern society.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
soracious wonk

I believe that outside of disease-related height disorders, this is true for both genders in modern society.

Not everybody likes people taller than them. It's completely subjective. Most shorter women are considered cuter than average height women. Women who are amazon warriors usually have suitors that consider taller women to be more dominant, and that may be something they dig.

1,400 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I'm 5"3 and despite the short jokes whilst I was at school, my height has never bothered me - so don't let it bother you. If people aren't paying attention because you're short - command the room and make them listen... it's always worked for me! blaugh

Everyday Lunatic

I am shorter then your average guy, I haven't gotten much flack from my own gender besides jokes and a few taunts. I have had girls tell me to my face that they wouldn't date me because I am to short, unfortunate but that's life.

One annoying thing that I've faced being shorter then average is they don't sell any clothes to guys my size, my pants never ******** fit, can't find jackets in my size or shoes.

your big bro's Significant Otter

Icy Rogue

Phallic Wonderland
soracious wonk

Not everybody likes people taller than them. It's completely subjective. Most shorter women are considered cuter than average height women. Women who are amazon warriors usually have suitors that consider taller women to be more dominant, and that may be something they dig.

That's true, it's generally subjective. It just seems that (excluding all other factors) taller means greater perceived strength and respect, with very few drawbacks.

Familiar Raider

6,800 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Tipsy 100
I'm a five foot tall female. I constantly have to put up with short jokes, people putting their elbows on my head, and yes, even the occasional "Has anyone seen CD?" question when they are standing right in front of me. I I don't get much respect in conversations, as people cut me off, and in school places its worse because I am not taken seriously because of my small stature. I have had to put up with "accidental" sexual harassment, straight up harassment, and even suggestive jokes by people 5'9 and taller. (IE Hey, shorty, while you're down there, why don't you suck it?) I have a 46D chest that is God-given and other natural assets as well. I can't be confident as a woman for the simple reason of how people older and bigger than me treat me because of my height,

Timid Loiterer

11,150 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I preferred to be the cute short girl in freshman year. Now I am average for my age, and I miss being short. I remember wearing heels was fine, but now I'm a tad uncomfortable wearing heels that are too tall because I don't enjoy being that tall.

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
I'm very short and I never understood the whole crap about women not wanting to date short guys. What do you need protection from that you can't do yourself or have a short guy do? neutral Seriously.
I'm short.

It sucks.

There are absolutely no perks for me. I ******** hate being called 'cute', and it seems that if you are short, it doesn't matter how you shave your head, get pierced, or tattooed, you're always ******** 'cute' because you are short.

Also, I only like people that are shorter than me, which rules out most people who aren't 'little people', aka anyone I've ever met :/
Phallic Wonderland
soracious wonk

For men it's better.
I'm 6'0 tall and the second shrimpiest one in my family biggrin When I was a kid my Mom always said I would love being tall (cause I hated it). Fast forward and I'm an adult and I don't know.. it makes it very hard to buy clothes. I hate that. Didn't like it when I was dating and almost every guy was shorter than me. I dated them though and my husband is just a little shorter than me. If I had a daughter though I wouldn't want her to be as tall as me. Tall is good... 6'0 tall is kinda hard. I always thought 5'8-5'9 was perfect height.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff