Welcome to Gaia! ::

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
User Image

►►What do you think the biggest differences are between Hearing and Deaf Culture?
Comon take a shot at it... even if you've never really thought about it before. I'm curious about what you think they are.
◄◄
I feel that people with hearing loss would be more.. visually observational?

Whereas people with full hearing wouldn't usually, in comparison, spend as much time observing. When you can talk to someone and you don't even have to be facing them, I think it would hinder that keen sense.

Does that make any sense? haha

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
0x-Yuna-x0

Whereas people with full hearing wouldn't usually, in comparison, spend as much time observing. When you can talk to someone and you don't even have to be facing them, I think it would hinder that keen sense.

User Image
►►Haha, no worries. smile You're actually making complete sense. And you're right, most Deaf have amazing peripheral vision, and can pick up on very tiny details that hearing people often miss; small changes in facial expressions, body language, and things going on around them. I've seen a friend of mine "sense" someone else using Sign across an auditorium of people talking.

And yes, when you're talking to a Deaf person it is extremely rude to glance away or even turn in response to sounds. Its considered about as rude as picking up a cell phone in the middle of a conversation. When hearing people are talking to each other, we do this all the time and think nothing of it.
◄◄

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
REROCKsters
Music.

User Image

►►Could you be more specific? Do you mean the kind of music they listen to? How they feel about music? Or are you asking if they still enjoy music?◄◄
DustQueen
0x-Yuna-x0

User Image
►►Haha, no worries. smile You're actually making complete sense. And you're right, most Deaf have amazing peripheral vision, and can pick up on very tiny details that hearing people often miss; small changes in facial expressions, body language, and things going on around them. I've seen a friend of mine "sense" someone else using Sign across an auditorium of people talking.

And yes, when you're talking to a Deaf person it is extremely rude to glance away or even turn in response to sounds. Its considered about as rude as picking up a cell phone in the middle of a conversation. When hearing people are talking to each other, we do this all the time and think nothing of it.
◄◄

A friend of mine, whom used to be my manager, has a hearing disorder. I actually really enjoyed talking with her. Having to truly give someone my full attention because it was so important to communication, and she was really good at communicating in response. I have such high respect for her for it.

I'd feel bad sometimes though. She had hearing aids, but she would also read lips. But sometimes I wouldn't say things loud enough for her and I felt like I was being shameful D:

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
0x-Yuna-x0
DustQueen
0x-Yuna-x0

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/0ddessy/Gaia/crown_zpsb9d7bb73.png►►Haha, no worries. smile You're actually making complete sense. And you're right, most Deaf have amazing peripheral vision, and can pick up on very tiny details that hearing people often miss; small changes in facial expressions, body language, and things going on around them. I've seen a friend of mine "sense" someone else using Sign across an auditorium of people talking.

And yes, when you're talking to a Deaf person it is extremely rude to glance away or even turn in response to sounds. Its considered about as rude as picking up a cell phone in the middle of a conversation. When hearing people are talking to each other, we do this all the time and think nothing of it. ◄◄

A friend of mine, whom used to be my manager, has a hearing disorder. I actually really enjoyed talking with her. Having to truly give someone my full attention because it was so important to communication, and she was really good at communicating in response. I have such high respect for her for it.

I'd feel bad sometimes though. She had hearing aids, but she would also read lips. But sometimes I wouldn't say things loud enough for her and I felt like I was being shameful D:

User Image

►►You shouldn't feel so bad. The best thing you can do when speaking with a deaf person who can read lips (hearing aids or not) is to just speak normally in a normal tone. Speaking louder changes your speech pattern and the shapes of your lips. Its not shameful. I'm sure your friend was patient with you and appreciated any extra effort to help communication. It sounds like you were very respectful of what she needed.◄◄

High-functioning Counselor

17,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Tycoon 200
I think I've met one deaf person in my life and read just a little bit about spontaneous language and slang being developed in a school for the deaf and thought that was fascinating.

I've always kind of though of deaf culture as a close knit community and for some reason I've associated humor with the culture.

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
User Image

►►I ignore trollz. bump◄◄

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
User Image

►►bump◄◄
I don't know if this is true for all of deaf culture, but judging from the people I've met there seems to be a scrutiny or frustration towards hearing people. Not being able to communicate with hearing people, being sidelined in favor of hearing people, just because they can't be bothered to learn their language or even pick up a notepad. It's not deaf people who are disabled, they can communicate just fine. The frustration comes from a world that doesn't care.

My 2¢.

Newbie Noob

REROCKsters
[
Do deaf people ******** with music? Deep-a** bass, I guess.
That is exactly what they do. Even though many cannot hear, they enjoy feeling the rhythmic vibrations from bass. They'll turn up a bass heavy track and lie on the floor and feel it.

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Slutty_Eddie
REROCKsters
[
Do deaf people ******** with music? Deep-a** bass, I guess.
That is exactly what they do. Even though many cannot hear, they enjoy feeling the rhythmic vibrations from bass. They'll turn up a bass heavy track and lie on the floor and feel it.

Not everyone who is deaf is 100% deaf, Some people may have difficulty hearing certain frequencies and not others which makes understanding speech impossible, but they can still hear enough of the other frequencies to appreciate the rhythm of some songs.

Aged Lunatic

Can't say I've had good experiences with deaf culture. Seriously, there was a huge freaking supremacist vibe going on with them when I tried to learn ASL. Our instructor even flat out said that deaf children were more intelligent than hearing ones. Didn't hang around long after that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff