Welcome to Gaia! ::

2,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
Yes, it exists.

There are plenty of people who fake it for attention, sure.

But those of us that actually have it will tell you it can be very problematic. It actually pisses me off when people fake it for attention. If they really knew what it was like, they'd realize that nobody would want something like this.

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
Mister Tharsis Secretary
Yes, it exists.

There are plenty of people who fake it for attention, sure.

It existing is debatable. People have something. The debate isn't whether or not it's a real thing, but what that thing actually is. It being multiple personalities within a single body is a stretch. The issue, to my limited knowledge of the debate, is that it exists because it is reinforced and/or led on by other parties, namely therapists. It falls prey to demand characteristics.

Quote:
But those of us that actually have it will tell you it can be very problematic.

Are you clinically- or self-diagnosed? DID exists in less than 1% of the population, so you'll have to excuse me if I find it hard to believe that someone functionally capable of holding an account on a website and discussing via a forum has it. Generally, such strong disorders prevent one from socializing to such an extent, though I don't know if DID has that property. I suppose I wouldn't be surprised either way, but its lack of a prevalence does make me suspicious of anyone who claims to have it.

To the point, I think the issue is how it's defined, not whether or not it's a thing as a whole. An alternate idea for it that I'll just throw out there is dissociative amnesia, mixed with a BPD- or bipolar-esque emotional response.
I'm sure within our lifetimes we'll discover much more about it, but at current even the most influential psychologists debate its definition, namely which qualities are biological and which are socially reinforced or demanded.

2,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
Project Light
It existing is debatable. People have something. The debate isn't whether or not it's a real thing, but what that thing actually is. It being multiple personalities within a single body is a stretch. The issue, to my limited knowledge of the debate, is that it exists because it is reinforced and/or led on by other parties, namely therapists. It falls prey to demand characteristics.

From what I've learned about it, it's not about multiple personalities existing within a single body, but rather a single personality that becomes fragmented into pieces, each of which characterizes a different aspect of the sufferer's personality.

But I understand what you mean. It's difficult to quantify and define. So the definitions and the title aren't particularly reliable. There's definitely something there, but what it is... Well, sometimes science doesn't have all the answers, though they definitely try.

Quote:
Are you clinically- or self-diagnosed? DID exists in less than 1% of the population, so you'll have to excuse me if I find it hard to believe that someone functionally capable of holding an account on a website and discussing via a forum has it. Generally, such strong disorders prevent one from socializing to such an extent, though I don't know if DID has that property. I suppose I wouldn't be surprised either way, but its lack of a prevalence does make me suspicious of anyone who claims to have it.

To the point, I think the issue is how it's defined, not whether or not it's a thing as a whole. An alternate idea for it that I'll just throw out there is dissociative amnesia, mixed with a BPD- or bipolar-esque emotional response.
I'm sure within our lifetimes we'll discover much more about it, but at current even the most influential psychologists debate its definition, namely which qualities are biological and which are socially reinforced or demanded.

That's perfectly understandable. Nearly anyone I meet who claims to have anything that's uncommon, I take what they say with a grain of salt. But yes, I have been clinically diagnosed. And yes, much of my life is hectic and fragmented, and I've always had social problems. I find it easier to socialize online, particularly in forums. I can leave off a conversation and pick it up later, I can act "normal" and no one sees the difference. That's something I can't always pass off in real life. I tend to seclude myself from people to avoid bad things happening. Not just the social awkwardness, but rapid changes brought on by triggers. Sometimes things can get scary. But I've managed to find a level of coexistance that I can deal with. Not always, but in general. Enough to get by and do what I need to do, at least.

Again, I can definitely understand where you're coming from on that. The main issue is, as you said, the lack of prevalence. It's difficult to study something when there are few genuine cases. And it doesn't make things any easier with the wide range of circumstances and the way things present themselves. That coupled with the fact that people don't like being treated as guinea pigs makes it difficult to study the disorder and learn more about it. I know that I personally wouldn't want that. What if I turned out worse than I was beforehand? It's a sticky situation. But I'm sure that yes, in time we will learn more about it.
I have a friend who has been diagnosed with DID. The friends 'alters' are mostly integrated now. But one has been surfacing a lot in the evenings. I believe it's easier for this alter to take control when my friend starts to enter sleep mode or is overly tired (aka exhausted). The friend usually doesn't have any recollection of what we call their sleepy self doing or saying. I say usually because sometimes the friend is vaguely aware while the alter is in control, and in those instances can remember flashes of what happened. But it isn't full memory. It scares my friend to know that their body can be up walking and talking while they are unaware, or somewhat aware but unable to control what their body does or says. It can be embaressing for the suffers of this disorder, and it can be scary.

I've been trying to find information on the best way to be supportive without making the condition worse. For instance I was worried that by talking to my friends alter that has been showing up that I would somehow hurt what integration has occuried with the other alt's and the core. From what I've read from various accounts of others involved with people who have been diagnosed with DID, (here's one of my sources: http://jdcard.com/mpdfrnd1.htm ) getting to know the Alter's doesn't hurt things. It can actually help if the Alt's come to know and trust you.

Does anyone have any advice on what is the best way to handle the situation? So far I've been talking to the alter and it's backing up what the websites and definitions say about the Alt's being a coping mechanisim and wanting to help the core. I care deeply for my friend and am being supportive. The friend is inbetween psychiatrists at the moment. I'm in the hopes that when they go back to a psychiatrist that my friends integration process can continue. But until then is talking to this Alter the best thing to do? It seems to keep my friend more calm since I can tell them what their alter says or does.

Greedy Consumer

Pediatrixia
I don't believe that it exists- or at least it is not a widespread as many people claim. I'd love to see anyone that claims to have it- because there's a 99% chance they're bsing, because one of the alleged traits of DID is that when a so-called alter personality takes over, your memory is basically wiped clean of these events. I would suspect that people who claim to have it are just whoring for attention, lol.

I think it's mis-diagnosed schizophrenia, and I hope that the new edition of the DSM removes it as a disorder.

~PDTRX
i doubt you are qualified, but what is your relevant education?

2,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Pediatrixia
I don't believe that it exists- or at least it is not a widespread as many people claim. I'd love to see anyone that claims to have it- because there's a 99% chance they're bsing, because one of the alleged traits of DID is that when a so-called alter personality takes over, your memory is basically wiped clean of these events. I would suspect that people who claim to have it are just whoring for attention, lol.

I think it's mis-diagnosed schizophrenia, and I hope that the new edition of the DSM removes it as a disorder.

~PDTRX
I'd like to know too. Just because something is alleged doesn't mean that it always happens that way. Cases have similarities, of course, because it's the same disorder, but every case is unique to the individual.

Like John Hammish stated up there, there are plenty of people who have bits and pieces of memories they're able to glean from when their alters are in control. Rarely full memories -- and by that I mean remembering everything from while the alters are in control, moreso than a "full" moment, if that makes sense -- but at least little bits.

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Pediatrixia

~PDTRX

I'm not them, but they are a little bit off. 1% of the population has DID. If 99% of people claiming to have it were bluffing, then that means everyone must be claiming to have it.
Your memory isn't always "wiped clean." Generally only the host/original personality has this problem. If you are an alter at the moment, you can be aware of your change in some instances.
For the most part, however, they are correct that would instead only think you have amnesia, which can also be a dissociative disorder.
But due to its lack of popularity, similarity to other disorders, and near inability to be self-diagnosed accurately (since you can't possibly be aware of the symptoms you are exhibiting), you should always ask if it was medically diagnosed or self-diagnosed. Skepticism should be common around DID for these reasons and due to the whole debate about whether or not it actually exists or is merely a combination of other disorders.

Tipsy Businessman

8,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
It exists. It's a form of chronic Dissociation, which I would say I have but without being diagnosed yet, you can't say you know *exactly* what you have when it comes to dissociation. People who compare it to Schizophrenia obviously know nothing about Schiz- disorders.

Tipsy Businessman

8,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Project Light
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Pediatrixia

~PDTRX

I'm not them, but they are a little bit off. 1% of the population has DID. If 99% of people claiming to have it were bluffing, then that means everyone must be claiming to have it.
Your memory isn't always "wiped clean." Generally only the host/original personality has this problem. If you are an alter at the moment, you can be aware of your change in some instances.
For the most part, however, they are correct that would instead only think you have amnesia, which can also be a dissociative disorder.
But due to its lack of popularity, similarity to other disorders, and near inability to be self-diagnosed accurately (since you can't possibly be aware of the symptoms you are exhibiting), you should always ask if it was medically diagnosed or self-diagnosed. Skepticism should be common around DID for these reasons and due to the whole debate about whether or not it actually exists or is merely a combination of other disorders.

World population in 2011 is around 7 billion.
1% of 7 billion is 70,000,000 diagnosed with DID. Don't let the 1% fool you into thinking it's only in the thousands or something.

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
Kady Candy
Project Light
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Pediatrixia

~PDTRX

World population in 2011 is around 7 billion.
1% of 7 billion is 70,000,000 diagnosed with DID.
Don't let the 1% fool you into thinking it's only in the thousands or something.

That's not how statistics work. 70 million people have not been diagnosed with DID, nor do 70 million people have it. Further, the total number of people with it, however large or small, has no bearing on the amount per capita (or percent). 1% is rare, regardless of the size of the pool.
I definatly belive that DID exsits. There are so many studies that show it differs a lot from things like schizophrenia and such. So yeah I belive it all the way. 3nodding

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
KIttychan95
I definatly belive that DID exsits. There are so many studies that show it differs a lot from things like schizophrenia and such. So yeah I belive it all the way. 3nodding

Schizophrenia isn't even a disorder in the same spectrum... Being different from schizophrenia doesn't make it a separate disorder.
It doesn't differ much from dissociative amnesia. I think the debate is whether or not it is just dissociative amnesia on top of another disorder, like a personality disorder.
Project Light
Schizophrenia isn't even a disorder in the same spectrum.

They are both psychotic disorders.

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
CH1YO
Project Light

Schizophrenia is in the psychotic spectrum. DID is in the dissociative/depersonalization-derealization spectrum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_approach

"The different elements of a spectrum either have a similar appearance or are thought to be caused by the same underlying mechanism."

Schizophrenia and DID are not similar in appearance and are not thought to be caused by the same underlying mechanism.
Project Light
CH1YO
Project Light

Schizophrenia is in the psychotic spectrum. DID is in the dissociative/depersonalization-derealization spectrum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_approach

"The different elements of a spectrum either have a similar appearance or are thought to be caused by the same underlying mechanism."

Schizophrenia and DID are not similar in appearance and are not thought to be caused by the same underlying mechanism.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces