Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Reveler

7,050 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
I believe in it, because I have it.

I wish I didn't. It's really dangerous for me. When I was in Boston, I would black out while walking around the city and have no idea where I lived, what city I was in, how to get home, or what year it was. Thankfully my then-boyfriend was always around to help me out, because it could have been disastrous.

It's something I hate having to admit to, because it means I require more care than the average girl. When someone gets involved with me, they get involved with every alter, and not just me. This means they need to hold the hand of my seven-year-old alter and take her to the candy store and not be embarrassed when she acts like a little kid. This means they need to back off when someone else comes out who isn't very nice.

Besides being dangerous, it's also expensive. I dissociated while food shopping once and I ended up with a bag full of canned soup and instant mashed potatoes, which I don't eat. And then there are the toys, shoes, clothing, and purses that my then-boyfriend had to buy in order to get the others to like him and trust him.

I wish I didn't have it, because it's scary to lose time, and it's terrifying not to be in control of your body. Thankfully I haven't blacked out in a while but knowing that I could at any moment is really starting to get to me.
I was diagnosed with it. It took me a while to believe, but the symptoms are there. stressed sweatdrop
turbid blue
I believe in it, because I have it.

I wish I didn't. It's really dangerous for me. When I was in Boston, I would black out while walking around the city and have no idea where I lived, what city I was in, how to get home, or what year it was. Thankfully my then-boyfriend was always around to help me out, because it could have been disastrous.

It's something I hate having to admit to, because it means I require more care than the average girl. When someone gets involved with me, they get involved with every alter, and not just me. This means they need to hold the hand of my seven-year-old alter and take her to the candy store and not be embarrassed when she acts like a little kid. This means they need to back off when someone else comes out who isn't very nice.

Besides being dangerous, it's also expensive. I dissociated while food shopping once and I ended up with a bag full of canned soup and instant mashed potatoes, which I don't eat. And then there are the toys, shoes, clothing, and purses that my then-boyfriend had to buy in order to get the others to like him and trust him.

I wish I didn't have it, because it's scary to lose time, and it's terrifying not to be in control of your body. Thankfully I haven't blacked out in a while but knowing that I could at any moment is really starting to get to me.

It is a pain- I don't know what I did with my rent $$$$. stressed gonk
Pediatrixia
I don't believe that it exists- or at least it is not a widespread as many people claim. I'd love to see anyone that claims to have it- because there's a 99% chance they're bsing, because one of the alleged traits of DID is that when a so-called alter personality takes over, your memory is basically wiped clean of these events. I would suspect that people who claim to have it are just whoring for attention, lol.

I think it's mis-diagnosed schizophrenia, and I hope that the new edition of the DSM removes it as a disorder.

~PDTRX

A 99% chance? Really? Where did you get that lovely statistic? Do you have a source?

Your argument is that people who claim to have DID can not have DID because if they actually had it, they would not know it, correct?
This would be somewhat logical, except that the trait you are describing is not an actually diagnostic criteria. It is a common feature seen in some but not all people who have DID. People with DID experience different levels of awareness. Being unaware is not a diagnostic criteria.
Secondly, people who have been officially diagnosed obviously know about their diagnosis. Even if they have no memory of what their alters do, if they have been formally diagnosed they can be aware based on reports from others who are aware.

Schizophrenia and DID are vastly different disorders. They are not even in the same diagnostic category and their diagnostic criteria are distinctly different. It would be quite difficult to misdiagnose someone with schizophrenia as having DID. If you think that DID and schizophrenia are similar, I suspect you are basing your judgment off the Hollywood portrayals of both disorders rather than the DSM descriptions of either. There is little to no overlap between the two disorders.
Meliora Fae
error-dot-tar
Meliora Fae
I believe that DID exists, but I do not believe that MPD exists.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Does the concept not exist outside of the United States? Other countries don't use the diagnosis of DID. They use the diagnosis of MPD.
The concept does exist outside the US though it is fairly new. MPD does not really exist. You cannot have more than one full personality in one brain. The human mind doesn't work like that.

I don't get what you mean by personalty, you can mean a number of things by that.

I have a feeling you may be one of those people though who think blacking out severe trauma is impossible when it's not. It's possible for someone to not have a memory same goes for memories of what happened at some moment right in particular, and just know the form of abuse that went on. And, when I say severe trauma, oh I am not just referring to someone blacking out as a result of just how it harmed someone physically, I am referring to EMOTIONALLY.

It's totally impossible for someone to black something out merely by the physical harm and not emotional harm.

Too much physical harm can really mess with the brain, that's why when someone isn't getting enough oxygen on a plane the person closest to the oxygen mask is suppose to give them self oxygen and then the other person, because the person only has one minute before their brain can't even formulate what to do. I think there may even be science to that, Idk for sure though.
Pediatrixia
I don't believe that it exists- or at least it is not a widespread as many people claim. I'd love to see anyone that claims to have it- because there's a 99% chance they're bsing, because one of the alleged traits of DID is that when a so-called alter personality takes over, your memory is basically wiped clean of these events. I would suspect that people who claim to have it are just whoring for attention, lol.

I think it's mis-diagnosed schizophrenia, and I hope that the new edition of the DSM removes it as a disorder.

~PDTRX

People not believing memories can get totally wiped out, that's just absolutely terrible.

My memories get totally wiped out, and then suddenly I hallucinate of what happened, and whilst hallucinating remember.
fishyseaz V2
My memories get totally wiped out, and then suddenly I hallucinate of what happened, and whilst hallucinating remember.

I'm sorry but did you post on another thread saying you had sociopathic traits? im sorry but im not sure if its entirely plausible.
Geisterfahrer
Schizophrenia and DID are vastly different disorders. They are not even in the same diagnostic category and their diagnostic criteria are distinctly different. It would be quite difficult to misdiagnose someone with schizophrenia as having DID. If you think that DID and schizophrenia are similar, I suspect you are basing your judgment off the Hollywood portrayals of both disorders rather than the DSM descriptions of either. There is little to no overlap between the two disorders.

I say this based on purely experiential evidence but the misdiagnosis does happen. The only person I know who received the diagnosis actually has remitting schizophrenia.
_DarkStaarr
fishyseaz V2

I'm sorry but did you post on another thread saying you had sociopathic traits? im sorry but im not sure if its entirely plausible.

Why would I bother wasting my time on answering your question if you try saying I was lying about what I was saying if you don't even bother doing your own research on such subjects?? Do your own research before you even think I may be lying about what I said just because you think something is impossible. You're a horrible person obviously.
fishyseaz V2
_DarkStaarr
fishyseaz V2

Why would I bother wasting my time on answering your question if you try saying I was lying about what I was saying if you don't even bother doing your own research on such subjects?? Do your own research before you even think I may be lying about what I said just because you think something is impossible. You're a horrible person obviously.

actually you may bother wasting your time because you think its funny how people react to what you say or your just bored. I never said it was impossible i just said it wasn't entirely possible which means that it could be true but it couldnt. How can you say im a horrible person if you've never met me?. No i didnt research it i read the forums to try and learn because its a subject im interrested in and since everyone has different opinions its good to know what they think and it helps to figure out whats fact and whats not. And you got pretty defensive there didn't you?
_DarkStaarr
fishyseaz V2
_DarkStaarr
fishyseaz V2

actually you may bother wasting your time because you think its funny how people react to what you say or your just bored. I never said it was impossible i just said it wasn't entirely possible which means that it could be true but it couldnt. How can you say im a horrible person if you've never met me?. No i didnt research it i read the forums to try and learn because its a subject im interrested in and since everyone has different opinions its good to know what they think and it helps to figure out whats fact and whats not. And you got pretty defensive there didn't you?

Actually reactions don't interest me. I do need to get a life, just cos I need to get a life though, doesn't mean I attention seek.
I think it definitely exists. But I think it is often over diagnosed when it is really Borderline Personality Disorder.
_DarkStaarr
fishyseaz V2

Many people with DID have at least one alter with sociopathic traits.
Yes. It's just a different term for multiple personality disorder.
It's being called Dissociative Identity Disorder now because it's classified as a dissociative disorder.

At least, that's just being taken from things i've read and all that.
Geisterfahrer
Pediatrixia

~PDTRX

A 99% chance? Really? Where did you get that lovely statistic? Do you have a source?

Your argument is that people who claim to have DID can not have DID because if they actually had it, they would not know it, correct?
This would be somewhat logical, except that the trait you are describing is not an actually diagnostic criteria. It is a common feature seen in some but not all people who have DID. People with DID experience different levels of awareness. Being unaware is not a diagnostic criteria.
Secondly, people who have been officially diagnosed obviously know about their diagnosis. Even if they have no memory of what their alters do, if they have been formally diagnosed they can be aware based on reports from others who are aware.

I support this post.
Especially this part.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas