Welcome to Gaia! ::

Would you be interested in my Info for this topic?

Yes 0.68693693693694 68.7% [ 610 ]
No 0.31306306306306 31.3% [ 278 ]
Total Votes:[ 888 ]
< 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 >

Hmm.. I don't agree with taking medication for it.. I was depressed myself before.. seriously depressed.. for about half a year.. I was diagnosed afterwards, as I didn't get any help at the time...
I am now a happy and confident person.. without medication...

Don't believe medication is the way to go.. you have to find a strength within yourself...
ooops.. I seem to have killed this thread.. am not depressed anymore.. smile
ok, you're taking questions, right? well I have one, not about meds or anything...

here goes... How should one properly deal with being depressed over love or unrequited... more so complicated long story type love.. that not being able to have the "loved" one has made it so that orgasm from masturbation can not be acheived with out bursting into tears after??? and the thought of sex with anyone else or even compliments for another man brings on dry heaves and the urge to vomit? ... and please don't tell me meds, tell me you don't know, but don't tell me I need to be on meds because I don't want to be on some substance that alters my mood, feelings and thought process...

thanks in advance for any help
i don't like depression
there is a great help for all the suffering caused by depresion: sex. whee it really works wink
Time Expires
i don't like depression

and I like Your signature... whee I'm such a dirty woman sweatdrop
I have never been diagnosed with depression, or anything of the sort..I have never talked to anyone about it. But through all the reading and research I have done, I'm pretty sure I have something. But of course, I'm not a Doctor.
I've always wondered if anyone in my family suffered from depression. I haven't heard that anyone has, but we don't really talk about stuff like that.
I know it can be hereditary, or triggered by certain events. Or even just a chemical imbalance in the brain.

I've been going through the same stuff for about 5 years, except it just gets more extreme.
I have a really hard time sleeping, I can't concentrate, I think negatively about everything, and I just feel drained emotionally and physically. I read a like of about 30 different possible symptoms, I had every one. Great.
Even thoughts of suicide, and hurting myself. That's getting worse.
I think to myself that if I was going to kill myself off, I would have done it already. But I'm not so sure.

I have a really hard time talking to people about things like this, some friends know some of it..But I haven't been able to tell my parents or anyone over all this time.
I've always wondered about the different medications, but I don't think personally I would want to go on them.

I just don't feel like I can do anything anymore.
And people I have talked to online that have never understood it just says "Well stop hurting yourself." Or "Just talk to someone."
I'm sure many of you here can understand why this isn't very easy for a lot of people.
Cutting gets addictive. Talking to someone just scares me.

Okay. Now that I've got some of that out..
-runs off-
Hatake Katu
there is a great help for all the suffering caused by depresion: sex. whee it really works wink

Unless you have reached the point where you have no interest in sex anymore.
to be honest i think majority of the time depression is just people's excuse for everything. people ask "whats wrong with him?" "oh he has depression." like it's some kind of disease. i think people with depression are weak, and pitiful excuses for human beings when they actually take meds for it. dont get me wrong a lot of people cant help it, but at the same time a lot of people can. everyone gets depressed at some point in their lives but most of them learn to deal with it.
what really irks me is when people tell me that they have depression because it "runs in the family" well screw your family. my mother told me that and she's the only one in my family that ever took meds.
and the fact about most anti-depressants is this: they only make it worse, or they make you delusional depending on the person. my mom has tried several different meds and NONE of them work!!! i had a friend who's mother took anti-deprssants and tried to kill herself while on her meds. for some people it works but i think that it's more of a placebo effect than anything. it just sickens me to think that mankind made it all this way through battling gigantic tigers and hitting each other over the head with a club so they could mate with a woman just to be beaten down by this meager thing called depression. wtf?!
and not to mention some people are too "depressed" to want to try to do anything about it. its like they WANT to be depressed. my guess is they like the attention. they end up in the hospital and everyone fawns over them and makes sure they're okay so they dont "do anything". its just psychological bullshit.
"i just feel so depressed all the time" well get off your a** and do something. the problem with you is that you keep THINKING about it.
Problem: depression, why you are depressed.
Solution: stop thiking about it. go hang out with friends, read a funny book, take your dog to a park. dont have a dog? get one., groom your pet, watch comedy central, no eating shopping or drinking because then you'll become addicted to it and you'll either become fat, broke, or dead, and even more depressed.
its simple, just stop feeling sorry for yourself because you dont know the answers, and look in the back of the book.
UnfitSmiley
I really need to know the following, and please don't treat it like a stupid question.

Do antidepressants require a prescription from a doctor?
Are there any that don't?
Is it possible for me to get them without a parent knowing? (I'm 14)

yes
not that i know of
and yes. if you know someone on anti-depressants that is willing to share.
wifiepooh 2558
ok, you're taking questions, right? well I have one, not about meds or anything...

here goes... How should one properly deal with being depressed over love or unrequited... more so complicated long story type love.. that not being able to have the "loved" one has made it so that orgasm from masturbation can not be acheived with out bursting into tears after??? and the thought of sex with anyone else or even compliments for another man brings on dry heaves and the urge to vomit? ... and please don't tell me meds, tell me you don't know, but don't tell me I need to be on meds because I don't want to be on some substance that alters my mood, feelings and thought process...

thanks in advance for any help

i would stay away from guys for a while, hang out with your friends but not clubbing go for lunch or have movie nights, write down your thoughts and feelings about the day but dont go back and read them, after a while you'll miss looking at hot studs and find yourself forgetting about this guy.
but dont just forget. you've got to learn from it as well. forgetting things purposely just creates problems in your subconscious.
Do you think that it'll help you be happy if you tell yourself you are after you take medications?
'Cause many times, if you tell yourself something,
You believe it,
Even if it's not true.
And with something mental like that,
Could it really hurt?
Microwavable Marshmallow
Do you think that it'll help you be happy if you tell yourself you are after you take medications?
'Cause many times, if you tell yourself something,
You believe it,
Even if it's not true.
And with something mental like that,
Could it really hurt?

its not good to lie to yourself. it creates problems.
but it does work. the brain is a powerful thing.
I have been suffering from depression (I have never been to a doctor to be diagnosed but I have all the symptoms) for years. I'm 20 years old and I've always been extremly sad and I cry easily. My mother would always get very angry at me because I looked sad or didn't want to do anything/nothing really made me really happy. She'd tell me that I had nothing to be sad about and she was tired of people telling her that I looked sad. Now, my boyfriend's at it...he doesn't understand what I go through, that each day is a struggle for me. He just gets angry and I'm not allowed to cry around him. I alos suffer severly from OCD (my younger brother also has minor OCD) and I have a minor problem with dyslexia. I started cutting myself when I was 13 and starting starving myself/purging at the same age. I've attempted suicide three times in my life (overdoses) and though they made me sick, they obviously didn't kill me. I feel like I'm going to go crazy sometimes because I can't control the thoughts in my head and even when something good happens, I don't feel happy or if I do, I know that soon there will be a huge drop. I'm easily frustrated with things and irritable as well. Lately, I tell myself more than ever that I'm worthless, ugly, and will never amount to anything, I'm defective and unlovable. I stand in front of the mirror and cry and yell at myself because I'm so disgusted with myself. I never, ever feel as pretty/smart or generally as good as other people and I tend to stay inside to avoid seeing how much better other people are than me. I sleep a lot because my dreams comfort me sometimes but at nights, alone, I can barely stand how my brain tortures me. Lately I've begun saying things out loud that don't make sense, sometimes part of a sentence, sometimes just a weird sound or word. I've done it before but lately it's way worse, louder, and more frequent. I don't even know that I say these things outloud, it's like I just zone out and then I've gotr to make excuses for what I've said. It's embarrassing! My life hasn't been that great with an absent father, mom's abusive boyfriend, and generally being shy at school. Now I have a boyfriend who's very controlling, jealous, addicted to drugs, violent, and emotionally abusive. I'm sure that doesn't help any... but anyway, my mom has had symptoms of depression her whole life as well so I think it may be inherited.

Shameless Cutie-Pie

jade-less
to be honest i think majority of the time depression is just people's excuse for everything. people ask "whats wrong with him?" "oh he has depression." like it's some kind of disease. i think people with depression are weak, and pitiful excuses for human beings when they actually take meds for it. dont get me wrong a lot of people cant help it, but at the same time a lot of people can. everyone gets depressed at some point in their lives but most of them learn to deal with it.

There's many different kinds of depression. I can't blame you for having the opinion you have. When I was your age, I felt much the same way about it. The thing is... the 'depression' running around the halls of your school isn't the real thing in most cases. Sad but true, what a lot of doctors are diagnosing these days isn't depression - it's puberty. xp Part of being a teenager is being moody and irritable and blowing everything out of proportion. That's not being depressed, it's being a normal teenager. However, there is such a thing as serious depressions and nervous breakdowns. They are a completely different thing - and I pray you never have to go through one.

Quote:
what really irks me is when people tell me that they have depression because it "runs in the family" well screw your family. my mother told me that and she's the only one in my family that ever took meds.

It's a medical fact that the tendency towards depression is inherited. Again, I understand where you're coming from because you're surrounded by drama queens and kings claiming depression for attention's sake, but that doesn't mean the medical community as a whole is lying to you wink

Quote:
and the fact about most anti-depressants is this: they only make it worse, or they make you delusional depending on the person. my mom has tried several different meds and NONE of them work!!! i had a friend who's mother took anti-deprssants and tried to kill herself while on her meds. for some people it works but i think that it's more of a placebo effect than anything. it just sickens me to think that mankind made it all this way through battling gigantic tigers and hitting each other over the head with a club so they could mate with a woman just to be beaten down by this meager thing called depression. wtf?!

Oh, that's not true. People have been depressed all through time. It's just that back then, the ones sulking in the corner were being EATEN by the tiger while the others laughed. CaveEmos had very short life spans. It's true.

On the subject of meds, I agree that they're over-prescribed. However, in the cases of major depression and other mental disorders, they can be a life saver. I went on meds when I had a nervous breakdown a year ago - and found they also help my OCD. Huzzah. And so I've gone from being horribly against meds (much like you) to being happily medicated. Again, unless you've experienced OCD or a nervous breakdown yourself, you're never really going to understand why a person would need a medication to function. Just consider yourself lucky that you don't.

Quote:
and not to mention some people are too "depressed" to want to try to do anything about it. its like they WANT to be depressed. my guess is they like the attention. they end up in the hospital and everyone fawns over them and makes sure they're okay so they dont "do anything". its just psychological bullshit.

I agree with you there. Particularly among teenagers, depression is worn like a badge of honor. It's nothing to be proud of. It doesn't make someone special or different. It's like having diabetes. When was the last time you heard a diabetic person going, "I'm sooooooo diabetic... emo "? Yeah, they don't... because that would be stupid.

Quote:
Problem: depression, why you are depressed.
Solution: stop thiking about it. go hang out with friends, read a funny book, take your dog to a park. dont have a dog? get one., groom your pet, watch comedy central, no eating shopping or drinking because then you'll become addicted to it and you'll either become fat, broke, or dead, and even more depressed.
its simple, just stop feeling sorry for yourself because you dont know the answers, and look in the back of the book.

Well, yeah... That works for some cases of simple teenage depression. Unfortunately, if a major one hits... you'll be so busy trying to get out of bed and pony up the energy to take a shower that walking the dog will be the least of your worries. Then you might wake up one day and decide that your Aunt contaminated your dog last week and now it needs to be quarantined in your bathroom, but then where will you do your business? And your friends never really liked you anyways... and your best friend's never really forgiven you for that rude thing you said in third grade, so maybe you ought to cry about it for four days straight. Sounds like a good idea.

In other words... When a major depression or nervous breakdown hits, you'll know it because you'll basically lose your mind. You just don't make sense anymore. There's no "cheer up and tough it out" because your brain can't even function at a high enough level to compute that. That's why it's called a nervous breakdown - a breakdown of mental function. My mother still tells me how one day, in the midst of my breakdown, I came up to her sobbing, a nervous wreck, because my sister touched the microwave oven. I didn't know how or why this was bad... I just knew that somehow it was horrible and totally worth crying about. There was no deciding to be happy... I couldn't even decide to pour a glass of juice without sobbing because I was taking someone else's juice and what if the juice was contaminated and what's in that juice, anyways? I didn't know where it had been!!! burning_eyes

Granted, I have OCD as well, so that made my depression worse and more nonsensical (I like to call it Amusing In The Aftermath). But still... Depression is very, very real. It's not what people are whining about in the halls of the local high school. It's a completely different beast - and it's something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

On the plus side, I wasn't eaten by a tiger.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff