Welcome to Gaia! ::

We've all noticed it before. Today's culture has come to the point where things like cutting and suicide are commonly seen behaviours. Some even go as far as to be ignorant and think it's cool.

In response to this, people are now looking down at these behaviours. Examples can be seen even on these forums; someone posts about how they're cutting, and other's immediately flame them, usually calling them 'attention whores' or something of the like.

This is what ticks me off: not just because someone cuts for attention makes it any less of a problem. It doesn't make them a horrible shallow person, it's a mental problem in it's own, since the individual is so attention-starved that they go to drastic measures to be noticed. People cutting in order to be 'cool' are showing that they are insecure and very easily influenced. See? The reason doesn't matter. Anyone who cuts needs help.

Or at least that's my opinion.

Comments? Questions? (please, no death threats). Do you agree or disagree?

Uhm.. is this the right forum for this? sweatdrop Hopefully I'm not making myself seem like an idiot. >>; If this is the case, then please ignore my idiocy and let the thread die. D;
i mostly agree with you.

but, i wouldn't say the need help really, more comfort and support, and maybe a kick in the right direction some times.

as for the people who post on gaia, with stupid short messages about their own personally cutting though, i think it's best to ignore such posts, not yell at them, or tell them they're wrong or stupid, and not comfort them. you give them reinforcement for the behavior you think is stupid if you comfort them. it just teaches them that they get what they want that way.

so please people, stop yelling at them, stop feeding them like that.

sock god

7,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Hmm...here's my opinion based on past actions. I watched my sister cut her arm over and over with scissors, cause they just happened to be the closest sharp object. I didn't get it at the time, but now I do. My dad was abusive and being the little girl I wasn't shown that side of him very often. Then I kinda hit puberty and a level of somewhat maturity and realized what was going on. We moved to Canada soon after this and everything was cool. Then my dad started giving me guilt trips, making out that all this crap was MY fault...and I couldn't handle it. I took the closest sharp object, a piece of glass, and ripped my arms open. For me and my sister it was a way of punishing ourselves, because we were made to fell as if it was OUR fault. And we didn't know how to deal with it, and thus became suicidal. I saw similar behaviour in my best friend, and I realized the apin I had caused other people.

Now it's different in some sort of way for everyone, but cutting or similar methods are ways to deal and cope. Some people lack attention from parents or friends, and can't deal with it. Some people really do need that attention, or rather that love and devotion that isn't there. Some people blame themselves. Most often these things are caused by a bad situation. I don't know anyone who cuts for the 'fun of it' because it isn't fun. It hurts a lot, and then you feel guilty. Plus you have to hide the scars and there's always the fear that someone will find out and destroy you on the inside. We're emotionally instable, and we can't handle the world, but that's just my opinion.
Sock_God
i mostly agree with you.

but, i wouldn't say the need help really, more comfort and support, and maybe a kick in the right direction some times.

as for the people who post on gaia, with stupid short messages about their own personally cutting though, i think it's best to ignore such posts, not yell at them, or tell them they're wrong or stupid, and not comfort them. you give them reinforcement for the behavior you think is stupid if you comfort them. it just teaches them that they get what they want that way.

sock god

I hadn't thought about that, actually. 0.o But there's also a possibility that it would only make them try harder to get atention and sympathy. People also tend to think it's stupid to post about your problems on the internet; it's not.

Posting about personal issues on the internet is a lot easier than talking about it with loved ones, because you don't have to deal with the people on the internet as much as you do with people who you know in real life. For example, I can tell you something entirely personal about myself, and not care about it, because you don't know me; if I told my best friend something entirely personal, then it'd be harder for me, because it'd affect the way they look at me.

So seeking attention on the internet is actually very logical.

7,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
RinnyZ
Sock_God
i mostly agree with you.

sock god

I hadn't thought about that, actually. 0.o But there's also a possibility that it would only make them try harder to get atention and sympathy. People also tend to think it's stupid to post about your problems on the internet; it's not.

Posting about personal issues on the internet is a lot easier than talking about it with loved ones, because you don't have to deal with the people on the internet as much as you do with people who you know in real life. For example, I can tell you something entirely personal about myself, and not care about it, because you don't know me; if I told my best friend something entirely personal, then it'd be harder for me, because it'd affect the way they look at me.

Just adding to your comment. It's easier, because people on the internet aren't as judgemental as your closest family and friends.
wingedcentaur
RinnyZ
Sock_God
i mostly agree with you.

sock god

Just adding to your comment. It's easier, because people on the internet aren't as judgemental as your closest family and friends.

Thanks. xD

Actually, that's true. Things that happen in real life would make a bigger impression on you than internet stuff. ;B
RinnyZ

but, if someone is only posting something along the lines of, "i cut, do you cut too", or if they're getting really defensive about cutting and whenever someone tries to tell them something useful they just say, you don't understand me, you don't know what it's like, or if they're clearly unwilling to be open minded.

i'm not saying never talk to people, never try to help, i'm a big believer in helping, but pay attention to when you can help, and when a person will not let you help, cause they're too trapped in their own messes.

*sigh* sorry, i've had some personal issues dealing with people who keep claiming over and over again that they want help, but after trying to help them for ages, actual years, you find that it's really possible that if you wait, and try as hard as you can to not help, the actually get better than if you pay attention to them.

so, try and help, but really, pay attention to when you can actually help, and when you're only enabling.

sock god

7,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Sock_God
RinnyZ

but, if someone is only posting something along the lines of, "i cut, do you cut too", or if they're getting really defensive about cutting and whenever someone tries to tell them something useful they just say, you don't understand me, you don't know what it's like, or if they're clearly unwilling to be open minded.

i'm not saying never talk to people, never try to help, i'm a big believer in helping, but pay attention to when you can help, and when a person will not let you help, cause they're too trapped in their own messes.

*sigh* sorry, i've had some personal issues dealing with people who keep claiming over and over again that they want help, but after trying to help them for ages, actual years, you find that it's really possible that if you wait, and try as hard as you can to not help, the actually get better than if you pay attention to them.

so, try and help, but really, pay attention to when you can actually help, and when you're only enabling.

sock god

Well everyone that cuts needs help. I needed help when I cut. I don't anymore, and it's because I got help. Even if people aren't willing to accept your help, they still need help. I guess you just gotta know when you can't help them...and just back off. Sometimes you can't help them personally, but that's when you leave it in God's hands. Praying helps...
i find the whole cutting thing really sad, and was never really ware of it until one of my close friends started cutting
tolg
i find the whole cutting thing really sad, and was never really ware of it until one of my close friends started cutting

I know so many people that cut. D; It is sad.

Though if you think about it, cutting and self-mutilation have probably been around for centuries.. e.@;
I used to cut not too long ago. I just did it because I couldnt handle being in this hellhole with no friends and some bitchy parents. Lots of times I was just so mad or depressed at everything I would just start sawing away at my arm with anything I could find scissors, razors, sharp metal and it wouldnt hurt until an hour later when i was just sad then it stung and I hated it! Then everything just got so bad that my parents were going to disown me and my friends all moved away and hated me my boyfriend was in trouble too and i wouldnt be able to see him again.. So i was just freaking out and took like 15 pills just didnt care anymore.. I threw up all the next day was sooo dizzy felt like s**t because of the situation here plus the pills.. big mistake! then my parents thought I was pregnant I was like, "I took 15 pills dont you think that would make me throw up!!!!" so my mom took me to the emergency room they couldnt give me any charcoal or anything so I got sent to a better hospital in south dakota because i had liver damage. Then I got put in a mental ward for 9 days.. Right now i see my therapist every week and am on anti depressants havent cut myself for 3 months now YAY biggrin
Alright.

I'm only gonna say this once.

Firstly: The term "Self Mutilation" should be changed to something less vile, like "self Injury". Mutilation does not fit.

Secondly: Go to my thread, its exactly like this, only more ...mature...and less...repetitive....

Please read the whole first page.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5323427&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I_am_a_girl_in_RL
Alright.

I'm only gonna say this once.

Firstly: The term "Self Mutilation" should be changed to something less vile, like "self Injury". Mutilation does not fit.

Secondly: Go to my thread, its exactly like this, only more ...mature...and less...repetitive....

Please read the whole first page.

]http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5323427&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

self mutilation is the clinical term. deal.
it is mutilation, or have you not checked out your wrists recently?
I_am_a_girl_in_RL
Injury, yeah, mutilation, wouldn't go that far.

Read the thread.

]http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5323427&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

says you...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces