Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is the excessive use of curse words a problem in our generation?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 17, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2

i actually think it is fun to curse..... ******** ******** ******** ********.... xd
Rizzle
I've just been thinking about the obvious situation that children (and all people, really) are more likely to see people cursing in media and entertainment in our daily lives as compared to generations before. It's effected me for sure. I have a very touchy speech teacher and I said piss, s**t, and a** in a 20 minute speech wthout even realizing I had said them. I'm looking for different views on two questions.

1) Why is this happening?

2) Is it really a problem at all?

Uhh.. I came in here thinking that I had to answer if use of bad words was getting worse--then you changed the topic. Well, I will answer your thread's topic question--No, the 80's is more known for the young generation cussing--I see it more in young adults from the 80's still too. My dad was a product of the 80's and heavy metal was in. That was still fairly new, and people were singing it--lots of cuss words. In my opinion, the 80's teens cussed more, but they were not stupid enough to do it during class because the consequences of cussing in school used to be much worse than it is now. Now, teachers let kids get away with it except when speaking to the entire class. But, at home, many teens in my town do not cuss at all.
I believe that the problem doesn't lie in the words themselves; it is how they are used.

There are some teens who use these words because their vocabulary is so limited that they are unable to use other words to express themselves. However, I believe that if they are able to use other words, and they can articulate and express themselves well, then the usage of cuss words should be allowed. Cuss words are still just words. They have a certain spelling, a meaning, and even roots. However, the way that cuss words are usually used do not make one sound intelligent.

I'll give you an example...I'm a b*****d. Seriously, I am. I'm a fatherless child. There is no father listed on my birth certificate. However, some people use this word (usually to males) to sound offensive. I guess it would be offensive if one respects his father so much, but it's just simply a word that means a fatherless child.

Another example would be the word "b***h," which is a female dog. What person would actually like to be called a female dog? But that's just simply what it means. However, people use it as an offensive, making the word "bad" or "wrong to use."

I guess what I'm saying is they're just words, but you need to learn how to use words before you can use them.

Mother ********.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces