Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
sweatdrop I think I am posting in the right area but if I am wrong please forgive me. sweatdrop

I have paranoid schizophrenia and along with that I have visual, auditory, and tactile hallucinations.
Recently one of my hallucinations died and another came into it's place.

The first one was like a brother to me and when he died his son that I had never met before stepped into his place. The new one is eight years old.

I just want to know if it really is possible for a hallucination to grow up or just stay the same...

In second grade I met a girl. Her name was Jennifer. I would talk to her everyday. We talked about the same exact thing. She also wore the same outfit everyday. One day Jennifer said that she was moving and after that I had never seen her since...at least I think.

Now I have one bad hallucination that is named Jenny, not Jennifer. Jennifer is evil.

So back to my question, can hallucinations grow up?

Help is much appreciated and if I confused you then I am sorry. I am a little confused as well.

Timid Werewolf

You know what? I think you're a real person that is genuinely trying to get an answer and I wish more people would have responded for you. It's 3am here, I have insomnia among other things we may even have in common, there are no new threads and I am ready to answer your question my dear.

I would say that yes, apparently it is possible. Since you already understand these are just hallucinations that you interact with, then it wouldn't be too far-fetched for them to have their own individual stories, die and grow, you know? Everyone's hallucinations are different, yours are obviously very strong to the point of even taking on their own lives, it's curious.

Any auditory/visual disturbances I have are usually (relatively) minor so I can't fully relate, but I hope I helped. 3nodding

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Nitemare Nymphetamine
You know what? I think you're a real person that is genuinely trying to get an answer and I wish more people would have responded for you. It's 3am here, I have insomnia among other things we may even have in common, there are no new threads and I am ready to answer your question my dear.

I would say that yes, apparently it is possible. Since you already understand these are just hallucinations that you interact with, then it wouldn't be too far-fetched for them to have their own individual stories, die and grow, you know? Everyone's hallucinations are different, yours are obviously very strong to the point of even taking on their own lives, it's curious.

Any auditory/visual disturbances I have are usually (relatively) minor so I can't fully relate, but I hope I helped. 3nodding

Thank you for your post. It is good to get another persons view point. My hallucinations are extremely strong and I see, hear, or even feel things almost 24/7. Some times good but most times bad. I have been dealing with these issues since I was at age three. My parents got me help when I was eleven. I have dealt with this stuff for most of my life and on some occasions I am used to and it does not really bother me. But I do experience some scary things. It is like my mind is a horror movie itself.

Again, thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. smile

High-functioning Counselor

17,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Tycoon 200
That is an interesting question and I don't think there is a solid answer to it. My guess would be it would depend on the individual and maybe the hallucination.

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
SylverStar
That is an interesting question and I don't think there is a solid answer to it. My guess would be it would depend on the individual and maybe the hallucination.

That's understandable. You think it could be the severity of the illness that could contribute to this as well?

High-functioning Counselor

17,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Tycoon 200
maybe. I would think having a cue like a hallucination always appearing the same, especially if one hallucinates an individual for years, that might help to distinguish reality from hallucination. Which to me would make it less severe.

However I've only been working with people with schizophrenia for a short period of time and I have a lot to learn myself.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
I have never heard about such a thing happening but I think that it may just be possible and completely understandable, especially for someone who had hallucinations for so long from such a young age. I know one explanation for simple auditory hallucinations is that they are mislabeled thoughts, and your early hallucinations sound very much like imaginary friends not recognized as ones own thoughts. It seems quite possible for someone growing up with hallucinations to have them change along with their mind and how they think about the world.

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
SylverStar
maybe. I would think having a cue like a hallucination always appearing the same, especially if one hallucinates an individual for years, that might help to distinguish reality from hallucination. Which to me would make it less severe.

However I've only been working with people with schizophrenia for a short period of time and I have a lot to learn myself.

Most hallucinations that I have, I know that they are not real but there are some situations that I get confused and I would ask my mom about the situation and she would tell me that it is a hallucination. I mean I think it is real and it is usually bad so I get upset and when I do talk about it to my mom then I realize that it really isn't real.

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
AliKat1988
I have never heard about such a thing happening but I think that it may just be possible and completely understandable, especially for someone who had hallucinations for so long from such a young age. I know one explanation for simple auditory hallucinations is that they are mislabeled thoughts, and your early hallucinations sound very much like imaginary friends not recognized as ones own thoughts. It seems quite possible for someone growing up with hallucinations to have them change along with their mind and how they think about the world.

When I was in second grade I met Jennifer and I would walk around the playground at school on a break and we would talk about the same stuff everyday. She also wore the same clothes everyday. One day she told me that she was moving away and after that day I had not seen her since...unless if she grew up to being Jenny. I have been bullied and picked on because students would see me walking around talking to nothing. Apparently it stuck with me because ever since then I have been picked on. It hurts because I never got to have a real, true friend. My life can be, and sometimes is, a living nightmare.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
AngelsDreadedFear
AliKat1988

When I was in second grade I met Jennifer and I would walk around the playground at school on a break and we would talk about the same stuff everyday. She also wore the same clothes everyday. One day she told me that she was moving away and after that day I had not seen her since...unless if she grew up to being Jenny. I have been bullied and picked on because students would see me walking around talking to nothing. Apparently it stuck with me because ever since then I have been picked on. It hurts because I never got to have a real, true friend. My life can be, and sometimes is, a living nightmare.
That must really be rough to deal with and I am sure that you can make some good friends who are understanding. Children in general are egocentric and do not understand when people are different. Adults are not that much better, but some do learn well enough not to judge people too harshly for odd though harmless behavior and others are pretty dense and would not think you are too strange. From my experience, the former are usually empathetic and better than normal at taking others' perspectives, while the latter usually are friendly but naive and have some severe issues with reading people and will justify most behavior as acceptable.

I would be careful about reading too deeply into the association. The most I would say is that it is possible that your hallucinations are more negative now because you have learned to see the world as less hospitable towards you-it might have not felt that way when you were younger. If your perception of life has a lot of negativity to it then I would not be surprised if your mind would shift to generating hallucinations to match what you learned to expect.

Friendly Gaian

6,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
I think they don't grow up or change, but all i know is from what i learned in my high school health class, so im sorry i dont have the best answer for you. i think you should try to get help with your schizophrenia, and good luck with everything

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
shana_hamilton
I think they don't grow up or change, but all i know is from what i learned in my high school health class, so I'm sorry i dont have the best answer for you. i think you should try to get help with your schizophrenia, and good luck with everything

Health class really is not a good place to learn about mental disorders, and I have already gotten help with my Schizophrenia. My parents have noticed when I was three that I was not like other kids. In sixth grade they got me help and I have been taking medications for many disorders since I was eleven.

Friendly Gaian

6,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
isnt medication supposed to make those things go away?
AngelsDreadedFear
shana_hamilton
I think they don't grow up or change, but all i know is from what i learned in my high school health class, so I'm sorry i dont have the best answer for you. i think you should try to get help with your schizophrenia, and good luck with everything

Health class really is not a good place to learn about mental disorders, and I have already gotten help with my Schizophrenia. My parents have noticed when I was three that I was not like other kids. In sixth grade they got me help and I have been taking medications for many disorders since I was eleven.

Friendly Millionaire

6,950 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
Honestly i think its up to the person with the disabilities if you want them to grow (subconsciously) they will.
Unless they represent your emotions each hallucination could be a state of mind you have inside (which is common in paranoid schizophrenic).
I believe its truly to the master mind (you) the 8 year old dying could be a change of attitude or a change in maturity in an emotion you have.
To sum up yes, possible but, depending on the person and their emotions.

Friendly Millionaire

6,950 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
shana_hamilton
isnt medication supposed to make those things go away?
AngelsDreadedFear
shana_hamilton

not necessarily, as humans we use 5%-15% of our brain. Schizophrenic can surpass that but there hallucinations can become overwhelming but medication in other words i makes you dumber for you to take grasp on reality but you mind can overcome that
So no, not really it might not always help.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff