Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
So a few semesters ago I took an Abnormal Psychology class and I kept the book because I thought it would come in handy in the future. Turns out that I was right. Now I am in a Sociology class called Social Problems. I have to write an 8 - 10 page paper and I chose to write about how Schizophrenia can be a social problem. I have it written out and partway typed but I have come across some new info. I remained in touch with one of my teachers many semesters ago, but not the one that taught the psychology class. He told me that schizophrenics can't smell. In my psychology book it says that schizophrenics can smell.

I just want to know the truth...

I do have Schizophrenia and I can not smell.

Is that the same for everyone who has Schizophrenia?

Sparkly Lunatic

I believe it depends. Some do not smell at all. Some have an impaired sense of smell.
I remember reading somewhere it was postulated that an abnormal sense of smell could be a potential marker for schizophrenia. But this was some time ago.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
I have heard generally that it is just specific things that most schizophrenics are less accurate or unable to smell. Of course, it is rarely the case that disorders manifest exactly the same in everyone, and deficiency in smelling ability for schizophrenia is no different.
Schizophrenia is not an olfactory disorder.

Interesting Citizen

4,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
CH1YO

I've had many episodes of mild schizophrenia, if you can call it that, 'cus quite frankly I can't remember what the Dr diagnosed me with (it was two years ago), and I think not everyone has the same "symptoms" or "characteristics". I do have a very acute sense of smell despise this disorder.
gisygisy
CH1YO

I've had many episodes of mild schizophrenia, if you can call it that, 'cus quite frankly I can't remember what the Dr diagnosed me with (it was two years ago), and I think not everyone has the same "symptoms" or "characteristics". I do have a very acute sense of smell despise this disorder.

Interesting Citizen

4,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
CH1YO
gisygisy
CH1YO

That's what I quoted, because I know this.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough.
Either way, I quoted your post so the OP could read it, not intentionally for you to read.

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
CH1YO

Quoting for OP.

Though I imagine this is something super easy to find just by Googling.

Dapper Cultist

This might help
Also this thread freaks me out because I have never heard of this before and I have a horrible sense of smell.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Vlad T
This might help
Also this thread freaks me out because I have never heard of this before and I have a horrible sense of smell.
Smell problems in themselves should not worry you much. It is like worrying you have a neurological disorder just because you twitch sometimes-it is one of the less common signs something might be a little odd but more often it means nothing on its own. Other people with and without various disorders often have smell problems and some conditions have them more than schizophrenics-like Parkinson's patients.

Dapper Cultist

AliKat1988
Vlad T
This might help
Smell problems in themselves should not worry you much. It is like worrying you have a neurological disorder just because you twitch sometimes-it is one of the less common signs something might be a little odd but more often it means nothing on its own. Other people with and without various disorders often have smell problems and some conditions have them more than schizophrenics-like Parkinson's patients.

well that's relieving at least.

8,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Gender Swap 100
I'm betting that some schizophrenics can't smell is because where the majority of the issues are located in the brain. If the issues are more in the limbic system and it's a more serious case, then perhaps it would interfere with the ability to smell since it is directly routed through the limbic system.

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
shadowedivinity
I'm betting that some schizophrenics can't smell is because where the majority of the issues are located in the brain. If the issues are more in the limbic system and it's a more serious case, then perhaps it would interfere with the ability to smell since it is directly routed through the limbic system.

That is exactly what my friend said, that I can't smell because of my limbic system. My friend said that my limbic system is not working correctly because of the Schizophrenia taking over. The reason why I made this thread was to see if it were really true. If so, then it would explain a lot. I was born where I could not smell.

I remember in kindergarden my teacher would pass out those scratch and sniff stickers and I always thought my sticker was broken. Then another student asked to try mine and said that they loved the smell and I always said, "yes but it is broken". The other students just looked at me as if I were stupid.

8,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Gender Swap 100
AngelsDreadedFear
shadowedivinity

That is exactly what my friend said, that I can't smell because of my limbic system. My friend said that my limbic system is not working correctly because of the Schizophrenia taking over. The reason why I made this thread was to see if it were really true. If so, then it would explain a lot. I was born where I could not smell.

I remember in kindergarden my teacher would pass out those scratch and sniff stickers and I always thought my sticker was broken. Then another student asked to try mine and said that they loved the smell and I always said, "yes but it is broken". The other students just looked at me as if I were stupid.
As a schizophrenic do you ever wonder why you don't get that high? Okay, i just realized I didn't phrase that right. Let me try again. Studies show that people with schizophrenia have an increase in dopamine, which is also a main chemical in drugs such as cocaine and such. This increase gives addicts a high that makes them come back and back, but schizophrenics report no such high, so....why is that?

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
shadowedivinity
AngelsDreadedFear
shadowedivinity

As a schizophrenic do you ever wonder why you don't get that high? Okay, i just realized I didn't phrase that right. Let me try again. Studies show that people with schizophrenia have an increase in dopamine, which is also a main chemical in drugs such as cocaine and such. This increase gives addicts a high that makes them come back and back, but schizophrenics report no such high, so....why is that?

That is an excellent question but sadly I must say that I have no clue why schizophrenics are like that. The only theory I have is that if a schizophrenic is not on medications then yes, they will get high. Schizophrenics that are on medications and seem to be functioning well for a schizophrenic then the medications would counter act the high and would bring the high down to a somewhat normal level. However I just realized that nothing is "normal" but we do our best.

Does that help?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces