Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Sentai

9,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100

This is all so new to me.. At first listen, I just want to call BS on all of it and say these people are over thinking it, confused in some shape or form, or just plain crazy. Now I know me (as a gay male) of all people should not question something like this, but I just can't help but to. I don't understand the concept of "not having a gender" or "having both/multiple genders". What's so confining about being a male or female? I totally understand being transgender, but this is on a whole 'nother level. I understanding "not fitting into gender stereotypes/roles." You can be a boy who likes dolls, or a girl who likes toy trucks and whatever. But to say that you don't even think you have a gender? Or multiple genders? That's... okay... mhm. Right.

Disclaimer: No I'm not transphobic. No I don't hate "agender'd" people or "pangender'd" people. I'm just curious if any of you can relate to me or for those who don't, give advice. I just want to know more and be less ignorant about this.. "orientation"?

Hygienic Gawker

One byproduct of the libertarian torch recently being passed from academic intellectuals and social theorists to teenagers on blogging sites is that any nuance is rarely observed. If a social theory exists, it can and therefore MUST now be stretched and dragged to it's uppermost limits, and then those limits redefined as the basis of the theory in the first place.

Transgenderism is a real thing. More recently, non-binary genders have become a thing as people have begun to exagerrate the idea that one can be other than their birth gender. The first step in this is a third or non- gender, which is fine. Ultimately it has led to tumblr blogs full of teenaged individuals who do nothing but invent genders and post about them. The monicker 'transtrender' has often been applied to such people who distend and warp the very real concepts of transsexuality and gender dysmorphia.

More bewildering is the defense mechanism adopted by many of these kids to defend the legitimacy of their new rainbow-sprinkled genders: many will verbally abuse, hate and attack actual male-to-female or female-to-male transexuals.

This is because actually transexuals with actual gender dysmorphia present a threat to the primacy of transtrenderism. Moreover, people who are excessively against the gender binary will naturally find themselves opposed to transexuals, who in saying "I am born a man but in truth am a woman" actually serve to ingrain the binary in society. This is the same basis for why many radical feminists pile abuse, hate-speech and death threats on suffering transsexuals: radfems consider the gender binary to be a myth and the reality of transsexuality flies in the face of their theory. Rather than work their logic around the reality of this oppressed class, many radfems and transtrenders prefer to hammer the 'problem' flat with hatred and verbal abuse.

I am not suggesting that gender is only binary. I believe people can exist outside this binary. I believe that gender is a spectrum. However, the issue has become hugely damaged by teenagers seeking new ways to rebel. Accept that non-binary is a legitimate thing, but be skeptical of people who approach you and tell you that their gender is autism-themed and that you are morally bound to respect their baseless woo. This is, frankly, damaging the legitimacy of non-binarism and ruining social justice for everyone. Sometimes a 'gender' is just a personality.

Dapper Sentai

9,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100
Dr Tickles MD
One byproduct of the libertarian torch recently being passed from academic intellectuals and social theorists to teenagers on blogging sites is that any nuance is rarely observed. If a social theory exists, it can and therefore MUST now be stretched and dragged to it's uppermost limits, and then those limits redefined as the basis of the theory in the first place.

Transgenderism is a real thing. More recently, non-binary genders have become a thing as people have begun to exagerrate the idea that one can be other than their birth gender. The first step in this is a third or non- gender, which is fine. Ultimately it has led to tumblr blogs full of teenaged individuals who do nothing but invent genders and post about them. The monicker 'transtrender' has often been applied to such people who distend and warp the very real concepts of transsexuality and gender dysmorphia.

More bewildering is the defense mechanism adopted by many of these kids to defend the legitimacy of their new rainbow-sprinkled genders: many will verbally abuse, hate and attack actual male-to-female or female-to-male transexuals.

This is because actually transexuals with actual gender dysmorphia present a threat to the primacy of transtrenderism. Moreover, people who are excessively against the gender binary will naturally find themselves opposed to transexuals, who in saying "I am born a man but in truth am a woman" actually serve to ingrain the binary in society. This is the same basis for why many radical feminists pile abuse, hate-speech and death threats on suffering transsexuals: radfems consider the gender binary to be a myth and the reality of transsexuality flies in the face of their theory. Rather than work their logic around the reality of this oppressed class, many radfems and transtrenders prefer to hammer the 'problem' flat with hatred and verbal abuse.

I am not suggesting that gender is only binary. I believe people can exist outside this binary. I believe that gender is a spectrum. However, the issue has become hugely damaged by teenagers seeking new ways to rebel. Accept that non-binary is a legitimate thing, but be skeptical of people who approach you and tell you that their gender is autism-themed and that you are morally bound to respect their baseless woo. This is, frankly, damaging the legitimacy of non-binarism and ruining social justice for everyone. Sometimes a 'gender' is just a personality.
Thank you for the response. ^_^

Busy Bunny's Widow

Sweet Spirit

nonbinary individuals are people who feel like they don't belong to either gender. they are uncomfortable labeling themselves as male or female, because they feel like neither.

Dangerous Nymph

12,575 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
hi there!
i actually consider myself nonbinary, so here's my take on it:

ive never felt comfortable with my birth gender, but i also dont feel comfortable saying im trans, because im not. agender is just the easiest way to describe how i present myself, and how ive felt the most comfortable identifying myself as.

like puss king said, you are going to find a lot of people on tumblr who like to make up their own identities, and to be honest it is causing problems within the nonbinary community because there are suddenly tons of people who have never experienced dysmorphia or even have a problem with their assigned genders who do want to be seen as unique or oppressed, and are trying to claim this.

the simpliest answer is basically what tiny pluto said, though. i dont identify as either gender, and while it is probably a pretty weird concept to understand, especially if it's new to you, it's just easier and more comfortable for me to describe myself as neither male nor female in the way i prefer to present and refer to myself.

i dont know how helpful this is? if you have any questions, let me know and i can try and explain it best i can for you. smile

(i know you probably didnt intend to, but i am just saying, the whole 'im calling bs' thing at first listen can be seen as pretty rude yo! the best way to find out about an identity (i wouldnt consider it an orientation) is to talk to someone who describes themselves as such.)

Interesting Regular

jean prouvaire
hi there!

ive never felt comfortable with my birth gender, but i also dont feel comfortable saying im trans, because im not. agender is just the easiest way to describe how i present myself, and how ive felt the most comfortable identifying myself as.

like puss king said, you are going to find a lot of people on tumblr who like to make up their own identities, and to be honest it is causing problems within the nonbinary community because there are suddenly tons of people who have never experienced dysmorphia or even have a problem with their assigned genders who do want to be seen as unique or oppressed, and are trying to claim this.

the simpliest answer is basically what tiny pluto said, though. i dont identify as either gender, and while it is probably a pretty weird concept to understand, especially if it's new to you, it's just easier and more comfortable for me to describe myself as neither male nor female in the way i prefer to present and refer to myself.

i dont know how helpful this is? if you have any questions, let me know and i can try and explain it best i can for you. smile

(i know you probably didnt intend to, but i am just saying, the whole 'im calling bs' thing at first listen can be seen as pretty rude yo! the best way to find out about an identity (i wouldnt consider it an orientation) is to talk to someone who describes themselves as such.)

BUT you do realize that biologically you are of female or male sex though? You do understand gender has NOTHING to do with sex,right?

Dangerous Nymph

12,575 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
savagesarge
jean prouvaire
hi there!

BUT you do realize that biologically you are of female or male sex though? You do understand gender has NOTHING to do with sex,right?

yes absolutely!
obviously i disclose my birth sex to doctors and anyone who would /need/ to know - being nonbinary is more gender related than sex related

Dapper Sentai

9,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100
jean prouvaire
hi there!

Thanks you for your response.
What do you mean by uncomfortable with your birth gender? Like if you were born a girl, you didn't like wearing certain clothes or doing things "girl related"? and vice versa if you were born male. I myself identify as male. But I don't see anything about being male that would make me feel "uncomfortable" about it. I wear pants, a shirt, no dress... Being a boy is not something that's always on my mind so I feel like it's kinda like I'm "ignoring" my gender except when I have to do things like go to the bathroom and other things. And if I were trans it would be something that would be always on my mind because I would feel I was the complete wrong gender.
PUSS KING

you are my new favorite person

Also, I am ftm transgender and even I have a difficult time grasping the non-binary sometimes even though I, at one point, did identify as a non-binary gender.

I was on tumblr for quite a long time and let me tell you... PUSS KING's description of most of the people on that website is dead on.

Most of the non-binaries that I've seen are hurting the movement more than helping it, and I have seen a lot of transgender hate from them, mostly directed towards ftm transgenders (that is female-to-male) which is ultimately why I left tumblr

And don't even get me started on "otherkin"

IMO, most of it is transgender appropriation and special snowflake syndrome, oppressing even further a group of extremely discriminated people, while simultaneously giving us an even worse reputation. How the hell is anyone supposed to take me seriously when a large portion of idiotic teenagers now identify as whatever the ******** they feel like, any given day?

In a relationship with her ideal man

Ruthless Loiterer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFqRtierSHg
I define myself as pansexual. But that's sexuality...

This one's about non-binary v
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bO_sBaqssY

But the one here is the one you should watch if you want to know more

Also, male =/= man and female =/= woman.

Sex is what you were born as.
Gender is what you Identify with. c:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas