Welcome to Gaia! ::

How do you generally feel about female body hair, or the association of body hair with femininity?

It's generally disgusting. 0.088235294117647 8.8% [ 3 ]
It's more gross on others than on myself. 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
It's more gross on myself than on others. 0.11764705882353 11.8% [ 4 ]
It can be tolerated, but to a certain extent. 0.11764705882353 11.8% [ 4 ]
It can be tolerated, and it's no bother. 0.35294117647059 35.3% [ 12 ]
I like it more on others than on myself. 0.029411764705882 2.9% [ 1 ]
I like it more on myself than on others. 0.029411764705882 2.9% [ 1 ]
I generally love it. 0.26470588235294 26.5% [ 9 ]
Total Votes:[ 34 ]
1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 >

Heroic Senshi

10,950 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
Body hair is like an extra, protective barrier for the body.
I had my own experience with body hair working as a protection: one experience being that it prevented most of the cold burns I received when I was walking in a snowstorm without snow gear for a few hours.
So body hair is not a biological issue, but why is it unacceptable, especially in American society?
To be beautiful, at least in American culture, body hair must be removed, yet I see this more geared towards women based on interactions, and viewing fashion, and gender magazines.
Therefore, this idea of body hair removal is fully a social issue.

My question to you: How do you feel about female body hair, such as leg or arm hair?
Please be honest; if the data is more accurate, then the data becomes more reliable. :3
If you would like to, you're not required to, you may also include your preferred gender, and age range.
Especially since I would like to know the separate perspectives of men and women on this issue. :3
By the way, I am a female between the ages 18 and 25. gaia_kittenstar

EDIT:
I just would like to thank everyone who has posted in this thread so far. It's just really interesting to read varying body hair preferences, from 'totally okay' to 'meh' to 'heck naw'. emotion_kirakira
Please do continue to comment if you wish, I just feel bad for not responding to the latest posts, and I want to thank them especially for bringing this thread/issue back up. emotion_hug
If you would like, please share your interesting body hair-related stories/observations as well. I enjoy a great story, haha. Also, if you would like a super-special response from me, just quote me. emotion_yatta
I also added a poll, so vote away. emotion_dowant

Rainbow Unicorn

I keep mine, see no point of shaving it off plus when people do it turns me off af. I don't get why people think it's NOT acceptable.. I mean it's hair.. Where did you read it was disgusting(apart from maybe your parents trumpeting it into your ears). Let us be, ffs.

Timid Friend

5,650 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
I'm 21, female, and hardly shave tbh. My girlfriend shaves, and calls her hair disgusting, even though I've told her I think she's more attractive with her hair.

I refuse to let a man with a jungle on his back tell me that I need to shave.
I don't feel anyone should be obligated or judged for hair grooming preferences. I wax everything but that's my own preference and would never do it for anyone but myself. (I can't stand when I have hairy legs, I like to feel smooth.)

My boyfriend asked me if I wanted him to shave/wax (nethers) and I told him I don't mind either way and I'd never tell him to do it because I know how painful it is, and don't really think that kind if pain should be a decision someone else makes for you.

He naturally doesn't have chest hair though and I love it smile

Tipsy Tycoon

9,500 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I used to shave my arms and legs because I was told that females are suppose to do it. But I found it to be a hassle since it'll just come back so I've stopped. I used to keep shaving in the summer when I wear shorts but I've stopped doing that as well because nobody gave a s**t about it.

Heroic Senshi

10,950 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
Thank you for your insightful responses. emotion_kirakira
This theory came up based on interactions and magazines, since fashion and health magazines are meant to show 'model citizens', in a sociological manner.

Such as a gothic fashion magazine, the magazine is relaying what is 'cool' and 'trendy' in a gothic community, therefore if one does not comply with those standards, they will have a more difficult time interacting with others of the gothic community.
I have a personal example of this: mid-2000s, I tried to do emo fashion, however, my physique and thrift-shop clothing prevented me from successfully interacting with those in the 'emo' community.

I have not seen one woman with body hair in a woman's magazine, and rarely for men's magazines.
Even then, these magazines are divided by 'gender', which could bring up a different subject in a feminist perspective (in sociology, reasons/theories are described using 'perspectives').

I am just curious to see the response of body hair in America. I know in Japan, body hair is incredibly unacceptable for both men and women. I tried to go out with my hairy legs in a Japanese town, however, a Japanese friend told me to shave, or she will not walk with me. It would embarrass her, but also set both of us up for harassment.

I'm thankful for everyone's responses, and hope to see more insights from everyone in this Gaia community. gaia_kittenstar

Heroic Senshi

10,950 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
Junnypug
I keep mine, see no point of shaving it off plus when people do it turns me off af. I don't get why people think it's NOT acceptable.. I mean it's hair.. Where did you read it was disgusting(apart from maybe your parents trumpeting it into your ears). Let us be, ffs.

It was not from reading, it was just based on observations, and interactions. I personally have been harassed by peers in junior high school about my body hair, so from a feminist/interactionist perspective, I was taught as a child that body hair is unacceptable for females. However, I never shaved my arm hair, I think it is weird to shave arm hair. emotion_jawdrop

Heroic Senshi

10,950 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
kurokatze
I'm 21, female, and hardly shave tbh. My girlfriend shaves, and calls her hair disgusting, even though I've told her I think she's more attractive with her hair.

That's very sweet of you, and I can understand your girlfriend's point-of-view on body hair. Has she been told before about something with her body hair, or is it more based on being comfortable to her?
I agree, people, whether men or women, who do not shave, should not tell others to rid their body hair. It is very hypocritical, and often sexist, in my opinion. emotion_donotwant

Heroic Senshi

10,950 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
Henrika
I don't feel anyone should be obligated or judged for hair grooming preferences. I wax everything but that's my own preference and would never do it for anyone but myself. (I can't stand when I have hairy legs, I like to feel smooth.)

My boyfriend asked me if I wanted him to shave/wax (nethers) and I told him I don't mind either way and I'd never tell him to do it because I know how painful it is, and don't really think that kind if pain should be a decision someone else makes for you.

He naturally doesn't have chest hair though and I love it smile

I agree, grooming preferences should be a major factor in one's character. However, you had me think of an interesting question that I hope everyone considers:

What if a societal position, such as a high-status job, requires that all body hair must be removed as a part of their grooming status?

For someone who does body hair removal, it may not be such as issue, but for someone who does not, what would one's reaction be?

My boyfriend has asked me the same thing (haha), and I've told him that he does not need to, and that I prefer he does not, since it makes me uncomfortable if he does body hair removal. emotion_facepalm

Heroic Senshi

10,950 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
FrontierBrainPalmer
I used to shave my arms and legs because I was told that females are suppose to do it. But I found it to be a hassle since it'll just come back so I've stopped. I used to keep shaving in the summer when I wear shorts but I've stopped doing that as well because nobody gave a s**t about it.

I was told the same, except for arm hair, I just cannot bring myself to do that.
Thank you for your insight, and interesting how nobody has strongly reacted to your leg hair, since I personally have experienced harassment about it, from both males and females. emotion_omnomnom

Rainbow Unicorn

CandiedSteel
Junnypug

It was not from reading, it was just based on observations, and interactions. I personally have been harassed by peers in junior high school about my body hair, so from a feminist/interactionist perspective, I was taught as a child that body hair is unacceptable for females. However, I never shaved my arm hair, I think it is weird to shave arm hair. emotion_jawdrop
Makes sense. Well I had comments from my mom but other than that people let me be. Not that I wear tanks anyways since most are ugly around here.. But it's not jsut feminist, I prefer hairy armpits, and pussies for that matter and if someone can't take that then they are free to get the hell out.

Timid Friend

5,650 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
CandiedSteel
kurokatze

That's very sweet of you, and I can understand your girlfriend's point-of-view on body hair. Has she been told before about something with her body hair, or is it more based on being comfortable to her?
I agree, people, whether men or women, who do not shave, should not tell others to rid their body hair. It is very hypocritical, and often sexist, in my opinion. emotion_donotwant

I've asked her about it, I think she dislikes body hair in general. Whenever she's self-conscious about being stubbly or something I have to assure her that it's ok. Sometimes she says she's shaved like it was something she did for my benefit, which I appreciate, and I remind her that it's really not something that I take into consideration, but now I just kinda go with it because I see it makes her happy.

Yeah, I was referring to my dad, who is a real stickler for making sure I pursue a lifestyle that he considers feminine and "correct", but he really has no room to talk. He's so hairy that one of his friends will tell him to take his extra sweater off. >.<;

Heroic Senshi

10,950 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
Junnypug
CandiedSteel
Junnypug

Makes sense. Well I had comments from my mom but other than that people let me be. Not that I wear tanks anyways since most are ugly around here.. But it's not jsut feminist, I prefer hairy armpits, and pussies for that matter and if someone can't take that then they are free to get the hell out.

I see, that's interesting. I do not care for body hair either. I think it is more comfortable with body hair than without, especially in the nether regions. xD
However, I never waxed before, so I do not know the results for that. emotion_facepalm
It seems like in America, it is more lenient towards body hair, that is very interesting to know, thank you for sharing your insights. emotion_kirakira

Heroic Senshi

10,950 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
kurokatze
CandiedSteel
kurokatze

I've asked her about it, I think she dislikes body hair in general. Whenever she's self-conscious about being stubbly or something I have to assure her that it's ok. Sometimes she says she's shaved like it was something she did for my benefit, which I appreciate, and I remind her that it's really not something that I take into consideration, but now I just kinda go with it because I see it makes her happy.

Yeah, I was referring to my dad, who is a real stickler for making sure I pursue a lifestyle that he considers feminine and "correct", but he really has no room to talk. He's so hairy that one of his friends will tell him to take his extra sweater off. >.<;

That is very interesting, thank you for asking her that question, I hope it was not intrusive. emotion_facepalm
It sounds like we have a similar relationship when it comes to body hair: I too get self-conscious about 'stubbliness', then my boyfriend would assure me that it's fine and that he doesn't care. x3
It sounds like you have a wonderful relationship, I wish you all the best. emotion_kirakira

Yes, my father is similar in that regard as well; his nickname for me is sasquatch, since my feet are wide, and I guess I'm hairy. ^^'
Some parents need to get modernized, that gender is not just 'male' and 'female', gender is anything; a human is a human, no matter what reproductive system one has. emotion_dealwithit

Rainbow Unicorn

CandiedSteel
Junnypug
CandiedSteel
Junnypug

I see, that's interesting. I do not care for body hair either. I think it is more comfortable with body hair than without, especially in the nether regions. xD
However, I never waxed before, so I do not know the results for that. emotion_facepalm
It seems like in America, it is more lenient towards body hair, that is very interesting to know, thank you for sharing your insights. emotion_kirakira
Yeah, I think it's stupid to harass people for either choice for whta they do with the hair, but for some reason shaved is the acceptable norm so therefore they go after "us". Dumb as ********.

But yeah I'm gonna keep mine, and if I grow a mustache in the future, well I'm gonna sport it like a ninja bro!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff