Welcome to Gaia! ::

Alright, so I would like to have a few of you lovely people out there give me some input o nwhat you think art does for society. Do you think art reflects society, or do you think society reflects its art? What makes you love art? what makes you not love it? How does art make you act of feel in society? Please answer a few of these questions! Thank you!

P.S. I'm doing this as a poll for opnions for my Sociology class.
When ppl say they are doing arts degrees I feel sorry for them, I think that says a lot about my views.
DXnobodyX
When ppl say they are doing arts degrees I feel sorry for them, I think that says a lot about my views.

So i'm guessing you are not an advocate of the arts, yes? What made you this way? if you do not use art or imagery to learn about society and culture, then what else do you rely on? Sorry for bombarding you with such questions. sweatdrop
ColourMeUseless
DXnobodyX

So i'm guessing you are not an advocate of the arts, yes? What made you this way? if you do not use art or imagery to learn about society and culture, then what else do you rely on? Sorry for bombarding you with such questions. sweatdrop

I believe ppls worth is determined by the sum of what they do, Ie ppl are only important if they are useful. The arts and their production to me is only useful for ppl to express their emotions if they aren't very good communicators. Now if we judged a whole society on the content produced by the poor communicators I think that would be terribly restrictive.
DXnobodyX
ColourMeUseless
DXnobodyX

I believe ppls worth is determined by the sum of what they do, Ie ppl are only important if they are useful. The arts and their production to me is only useful for ppl to express their emotions if they aren't very good communicators. Now if we judged a whole society on the content produced by the poor communicators I think that would be terribly restrictive.

So you connect more with society through hearing vocal communtication rather than imagery or written language. Not trying to tell you you're wrong, but please consider this: Say you are in another country, and do not speak or understand the language. What then would you rely on? Art can prove useful because, universal symbols can be determined much easier than a spoken word sometimes.
ColourMeUseless
DXnobodyX
ColourMeUseless
DXnobodyX

So you connect more with society through hearing vocal communtication rather than imagery or written language. Not trying to tell you you're wrong, but please consider this: Say you are in another country, and do not speak or understand the language. What then would you rely on? Art can prove useful because, universal symbols can be determined much easier than a spoken word sometimes.

He is wrong.

Art can communicate far more than simply a stripped down version of the facts. There is reason that people don't engage stories that run, exactly word for word:

The antagonist threatens some people. A hero fights the antagonist and wins. Everyone is happy. The End.
ColourMeUseless
DXnobodyX
ColourMeUseless
DXnobodyX

Mathematics XD just pulling your strings

Being in another country and drawing or singing at them would be very ineffecient and a another good example why I don't like the arts. Signing though would be far more efficient if they did not speak a similar language, you could nearly put that under intepretive dance though I know a few ppl who would kill me for it.
The Willow Of Darkness
ColourMeUseless
DXnobodyX
ColourMeUseless
DXnobodyX

He is wrong.

Art can communicate far more than simply a stripped down version of the facts. There is reason that people don't engage stories that run, exactly word for word:

The antagonist threatens some people. A hero fights the antagonist and wins. Everyone is happy. The End.

You mean my beliefs are wrong?

Dapper Lunatic

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
I don't think art is essential for society, but I wouldn't want to live without it. Creating and seeing art brings me happiness. :] And this is coming from a science major lol. I think it adds beauty to everyday life and helps people to better communicate emotions, ideals, etc. and link one another's perspectives. Plus, it's fun to make art and know that you have the ability to create something from nothing.

4,750 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
what do you mean by "art," exactly?

your big bro's Significant Otter

Icy Rogue

Scott McCloud defines art as:
“[A]ny human activity which doesn’t grow out of either of our species’ two basic instincts: survival and reproduction.” [source]

Thus art is the basis of our leisure. Sure the "important" things may sustain life, but art is what makes life worth living.

Greedy Consumer

soracious wonk
Scott McCloud defines art as:
“[A]ny human activity which doesn’t grow out of either of our species’ two basic instincts: survival and reproduction.” [source]

Thus art is the basis of our leisure. Sure the "important" things may sustain life, but art is what makes life worth living.

Well said Mr. peanut (in case you dotn udnerstand that, its a joke, and the line is from a commercial lol)

4,750 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
i like this super loose definition of art, too! art isn't just a painting in a museum or a choreographed dance performed on a stage. art, for me, is also conversation, dreams, computers, video games, books, automobiles, buildings, cities, agriculture...

you can look at any human-made creation & find the art in it! art *is* society!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff