Welcome to Gaia! ::

CH1YO
AllisaNero
CH1YO
AllisaNero
CH1YO
AllisaNero

And the subconscious is linked to the presence of violent instincts how?

How might the subconscious, a series of unknown and inaccessible strings of information, influence a person in such a way that they, then, choose to act with violence?

Violence, if innate, has always been held to be a base instinct.

Instinct =/= subconscious
Violence is an action. It has to be caused by something. People don't just run around bashing people in the face.
The instinct of a horse to run is caused by fear.
The subconscious effect of breast-feeding, according to Freud, prepares an infant for a 'normal life'. Though there's no way of testing this hypothesis because no one can access the subconscious.

Freud's theories can't explain, accurately or not, why people act with violence. They, at best, describe the stages an infant should go through to become normal and the, very flawed idea, that dreams reveal aspects of the subconscious.

You're not familiar with Freud, it would be best if we leave it at that.

My disagreement with Freudian theory has nothing to do with my knowledge of him, which is fairly in depth.
But have it your way!

You overestimate your depth in depth psychology. Unless of course you are being facetious in which case I do not care.

Nah, I really don't. Me and Freud have spent more than enough time together in my opinion.
AllisaNero
CH1YO
AllisaNero
CH1YO
AllisaNero

Violence is an action. It has to be caused by something. People don't just run around bashing people in the face.
The subconscious effect of breast-feeding, according to Freud, prepares an infant for a 'normal life'. Though there's no way of testing this hypothesis because no one can access the subconscious.

Freud's theories can't explain, accurately or not, why people act with violence. They, at best, describe the stages an infant should go through to become normal and the, very flawed idea, that dreams reveal aspects of the subconscious.

My disagreement with Freudian theory has nothing to do with my knowledge of him, which is fairly in depth.
But have it your way!

You overestimate your depth in depth psychology. Unless of course you are being facetious in which case I do not care.

Nah, I really don't. Me and Freud have spent more than enough time together in my opinion.

You must be very old.
CH1YO
AllisaNero
CH1YO
AllisaNero
CH1YO
AllisaNero

But have it your way!

You must be very old.

No. I just find his work very useless.
AllisaNero
CH1YO
AllisaNero
CH1YO
AllisaNero

But have it your way!

You must be very old.

It's there to be read.
CH1YO
AllisaNero
CH1YO
AllisaNero
CH1YO
AllisaNero

But have it your way!

You must be very old.

It's there to be read.

It was read. Thoroughly. Granted not all of it but quite a bit. And it was found to be useless.

Adored Admirer

CH1YO
Pseudo-Onkelos
Locke, Hobbes, Rousseau.

Buhler, Freud, Bandura.

I only know of Freud.
AllisaNero
CH1YO
AllisaNero
CH1YO
AllisaNero

You must be very old.

It's there to be read.

It was read. Thoroughly. Granted not all of it but quite a bit. And it was found to be useless.

You must learn to read better then.
Pseudo-Onkelos
CH1YO
Pseudo-Onkelos
Locke, Hobbes, Rousseau.

Buhler, Freud, Bandura.

I only know of Freud.

Yeah, he's the best.
CH1YO
AllisaNero
CH1YO
AllisaNero
CH1YO
AllisaNero

You must be very old.

It's there to be read.

You must learn to read better then.

Nah, I'll just stick with information that can be backed up with evidence. I get that's it's fun to imagine that Freud's theories are true but case studies are hardly a basis for general assumptions.

Adored Admirer

CH1YO
Pseudo-Onkelos
CH1YO
Pseudo-Onkelos
Locke, Hobbes, Rousseau.

Buhler, Freud, Bandura.

I only know of Freud.

Yeah, he's the best.

Yay!
I'm not a Freud basher or anything but he really isn't the best. His theories are outdated, untestable, ethnocentric, androcentric and based on very little evidence he was able to gather himself.
People have aggressive instincts, but the cerebral cortex handles those sufficiently in normal human beings. Those who are violent are basically failures as people.
I like to think we all have a bit of a violent trait in all of us to where we can so choose as to act upon it, or not. While some can control it, others cannot, and of course the occasional person who snaps.
Instincts are violent things in all creatures. What more does one need?

7,050 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
We are born with natural instincts, and one of those instincts is survival.
Survival in itself can lead to violence if you are pushed to the edge.

I think that given the right situation we all could commit violence, right from the get go, day one

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff