Welcome to Gaia! ::

I was asked to write a paper on this, and was wondering what you guys think. Don't worry, you are not doing my homework by replying. So are people born violent, or is it something we learn as we grow?

Adored Admirer

Locke, Hobbes, Rousseau.

your big bro's Significant Otter

Icy Rogue

Yes, I think we are born violent, though we don't know what violence is at the time.

Greedy Consumer

i heard certain types of monkeys have certain genes which either causes all the males wanting to be alphas and that causes more aggression and its a dominant gene, and a different specie of monkies had the recessive version of that gene and they were all less aggressive and more empathetic and such, there was a video on it, I think.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Why are they asking you to debate nature or nurture for violence or anything else? There is strong evidence both play an important role in causing someone to behave violently.
AliKat1988
Why are they asking you to debate nature or nurture for violence or anything else? There is strong evidence both play an important role in causing someone to behave violently.

Because I wanted opinions on what people think is the bigger influence.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Cat of Ice
AliKat1988

I understand why you are asking, but I am really not sure why your teacher would assign a paper like this in the first place. It is strange if it is for a psychology class. I would hope this is for a philosophy one instead. My understanding from psychology is that nature and nurture almost always interact to cause behavior.
AliKat1988
Cat of Ice
AliKat1988

I understand why you are asking, but I am really not sure why your teacher would assign a paper like this in the first place. It is strange if it is for a psychology class. I would hope this is for a philosophy one instead. My understanding from psychology is that nature and nurture almost always interact to cause behavior.

It's for a language arts class. We read Lord of the Flies, so we are talking about psychology. I get that he is trying to get us to think a little deeper about things, but most of the kids in the class never even bothered reading the book. They just messed around.Honestly though, I think he is expecting too much from highschool kids.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Cat of Ice
AliKat1988
Cat of Ice
AliKat1988

It's for a language arts class. We read Lord of the Flies, so we are talking about psychology. I get that he is trying to get us to think a little deeper about things, but most of the kids in the class never even bothered reading the book. They just messed around.Honestly though, I think he is expecting too much from highschool kids.
Okay that makes more sense and I guess it is more of a challenge and worth contemplating in an English class. I doubt your teacher is expecting anything too sophisticated in your discussion of it-at least compared to what I have heard on the subject. Of course, expecting high school students to think deeply about literature is probably too optimistic
AliKat1988
Cat of Ice
AliKat1988
Cat of Ice
AliKat1988

Okay that makes more sense and I guess it is more of a challenge and worth contemplating in an English class. I doubt your teacher is expecting anything too sophisticated in your discussion of it-at least compared to what I have heard on the subject.

No, I don't think he is, but at the same time he is expecting more of us. I think he knows we know most of the papers are going to be bad, so it's sort of his way of trying to get us to prove him wrong. It's just the sort of thing he would do.

700 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Yes, people are born violent. To what extent is modified by experiences.

Timid Member

People are born violent. If they aren't born violent, then rules and regulations must not be set.

We are taught to be good, but we were never taught to be evil.

Therefore if we were not taught, well it might have come -- naturally.

I know those are the ideas of philosophers or something, that's just what I learned class.

Adored Admirer

Cat of Ice

I like that book. 3nodding

Dapper Conversationalist

It does depend on your genes to a certain extent so some are. How much oxytocin your body naturally produces.

XYY individuals are known to be more aggressive, for example.

Dapper Gaian

16,750 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Abomination 100
  • Millionaire 200
Cat of Ice
I was asked to write a paper on this, and was wondering what you guys think. Don't worry, you are not doing my homework by replying. So are people born violent, or is it something we learn as we grow?
no i dont, i think they are socialized into this state, children who are born into families with d.v and alot of arguments tend to grow up to be violent, the key norms and values the child picks up from the parents oftern give a threatening vibe, because of this, the child is likely to bealive this is acceptable behavior

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff