Welcome to Gaia! ::

Charitable Astronomer

14,725 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noble Shade 100
RPG guy

It'd be irrational to imagine I have APD since I have no problem feeling empathy for others at any other times. I'm wondering though, in theory...Is my state of mind during those times akin to what it would be like being in a psychopath's mind? I'm pretty curious about that, because that could also raise other interesting questions. Not to mention it's a fun and disturbing thought!

We normally picture psychopaths as self-centered assholes who only look out for themselves, and will only help others if they think they'll get some use out of it in the end. I guess this is a nature vs nurture type of question, but...Would it be possible for someone who does not possess emotional empathy, to still develop 'logical' empathy to such an extent that they could be selfless even without expecting anything in return? As in, a good psychopath?

We diagnose psychopaths after they've gotten themselves into trouble, but a 'good' psychopath couldn't be detected like that. I guess the only way to know(that I can think of) would be to do brain tests on a large number of people. Or maybe, not having emotional empathy would just prevent someone from ever learning to have any real empathy?

Well, just some crazy thoughts and speculation. It might be impossible for that to work, but it's still fun to think about. When you said some sociopaths want to have a family, it got me thinking about all this again.
So! What do you think?

I haven't done any research on the matter of positive psychopaths versus negative...
However, what I remember from classes of past, there can be altruistic ones to an extent.

What I gather is that it's possible for certain ones to feel emotion over a person if that person is considered close and useful to them. That they would do anything to keep that person happy and well...no matter what. Which usually, I assume, turns out more messy than anything, ie. one might smother the beloved in order to try to take care of them, or injure/kill others unnecessarily to keep them well.

As for yourself, I wholly believe that every person has the capability to shut down their emotional empathy for everyone/anything, during times of extreme illness and/or distress. This I have done in the past.

Once, I was camping with a bunch of teenagers several years ago, and my friend was being a b***h. I asked her to sleep in the tent with me so I wouldn't be alone, but she wanted to sleep in the boys' tent. She refused unless I agreed to something to which I cannot remember; however, what I had eaten that night upset my stomach so badly that I really didn't care anymore. So when I told her that, that I was so ill I didn't give a ********, she stopped her bitching and agreed to sleep in our tent. Normally I would have been all bent about her not liking me and letting her do what she wanted and doing what she wanted, but when I was so ill that my NEEDS were first to my WANTS, I couldn't have cared less about her feelings and being liked by her.

This is very very normal and basic for all creatures. The most basic needs MUST be met before anyone can have empathy. These include sleep, food, social contact, and wellness. Think about people you know who live around you. Are some of them crankier when hungry? Or sleepy? Or ill? That is usually the case.

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

12,775 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
Child of Horus
RPG guy

It'd be irrational to imagine I have APD since I have no problem feeling empathy for others at any other times. I'm wondering though, in theory...Is my state of mind during those times akin to what it would be like being in a psychopath's mind? I'm pretty curious about that, because that could also raise other interesting questions. Not to mention it's a fun and disturbing thought!

We normally picture psychopaths as self-centered assholes who only look out for themselves, and will only help others if they think they'll get some use out of it in the end. I guess this is a nature vs nurture type of question, but...Would it be possible for someone who does not possess emotional empathy, to still develop 'logical' empathy to such an extent that they could be selfless even without expecting anything in return? As in, a good psychopath?

We diagnose psychopaths after they've gotten themselves into trouble, but a 'good' psychopath couldn't be detected like that. I guess the only way to know(that I can think of) would be to do brain tests on a large number of people. Or maybe, not having emotional empathy would just prevent someone from ever learning to have any real empathy?

Well, just some crazy thoughts and speculation. It might be impossible for that to work, but it's still fun to think about. When you said some sociopaths want to have a family, it got me thinking about all this again.
So! What do you think?

I haven't done any research on the matter of positive psychopaths versus negative...
However, what I remember from classes of past, there can be altruistic ones to an extent.

What I gather is that it's possible for certain ones to feel emotion over a person if that person is considered close and useful to them. That they would do anything to keep that person happy and well...no matter what. Which usually, I assume, turns out more messy than anything, ie. one might smother the beloved in order to try to take care of them, or injure/kill others unnecessarily to keep them well.

As for yourself, I wholly believe that every person has the capability to shut down their emotional empathy for everyone/anything, during times of extreme illness and/or distress. This I have done in the past.

Once, I was camping with a bunch of teenagers several years ago, and my friend was being a b***h. I asked her to sleep in the tent with me so I wouldn't be alone, but she wanted to sleep in the boys' tent. She refused unless I agreed to something to which I cannot remember; however, what I had eaten that night upset my stomach so badly that I really didn't care anymore. So when I told her that, that I was so ill I didn't give a ********, she stopped her bitching and agreed to sleep in our tent. Normally I would have been all bent about her not liking me and letting her do what she wanted and doing what she wanted, but when I was so ill that my NEEDS were first to my WANTS, I couldn't have cared less about her feelings and being liked by her.

This is very very normal and basic for all creatures. The most basic needs MUST be met before anyone can have empathy. These include sleep, food, social contact, and wellness. Think about people you know who live around you. Are some of them crankier when hungry? Or sleepy? Or ill? That is usually the case.

That's a pretty interesting example. So you're saying that shutting down your emotions because of physical needs is pretty much the same as shutting them down because of emotional distress?
I never thought of picturing it like that.

Charitable Astronomer

14,725 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noble Shade 100
RPG guy

That's a pretty interesting example. So you're saying that shutting down your emotions because of physical needs is pretty much the same as shutting them down because of emotional distress?

Oh yes, I believe it is common for both. I have also become numb due to emotional distress.
Other things that can happen are dissociative disorders, wherein the person becomes detached from either their body, mind or environment. Something else to look into when you have time. ^^

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

12,775 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
Child of Horus
RPG guy

Oh yes, I believe it is common for both. I have also become numb due to emotional distress.
Other things that can happen are dissociative disorders, wherein the person becomes detached from either their body, mind or environment. Something else to look into when you have time. ^^

Dissociation huh...I might be experiencing that right now. Didn't think about looking into it.
I'll be sure to look that up. Thanks!

Charitable Astronomer

14,725 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noble Shade 100
RPG guy
Child of Horus
RPG guy

Dissociation huh...I might be experiencing that right now. Didn't think about looking into it.
I'll be sure to look that up. Thanks!

You are most welcome~ 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas