Olympics... meh. Never over soon enough! 0.025423728813559 2.5% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 118 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Friendly Explorer

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
The Olympics provides a refreshing mix of familiar sports (football/soccer, volleyball, running) and comparatively unknown sports (steeplechase, trampoline, heptathlon).
What is your favorite underrated sport in the Olympics?

Friendly Explorer

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
Willscrlt
What is your favorite underrated sport in the Olympics?

My favorite underrated sports are the equestrian events. It is a combination of skill, beauty, athleticism, and brainpower. Not to mention, the horses are absolutely amazing!

I also love the gymnastics events (including artistic, rhythmic, and trampoline), diving (especially the synchronized ones), swimming (again, especially the synchronized swimming), sailing, and canoeing.

O.G. Trader

Canoe Slalom.

Looks the most fun to me. biggrin

Friendly Explorer

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
Lord Mephisto
Canoe Slalom. Looks the most fun to me. biggrin

It reminds me a lot of skiing slalom, but moving a little boat around the gates while in moving water... whooie! That's got to be tough to do.

Thanks for that reply. It's a good one.

Shameless Hoarder

42,340 Points
  • Spirit Hoarder 500
  • Overstocked 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Shot-put and discus! /former thrower

Friendly Explorer

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
Corinn

Are the shot put and discus one standard weight, and the challenge is only distance? Or are there different weight classes as well as distances? If the weights are all the same, it would seem that only the biggest, beefiest folks would do well, and smaller, lankier athletes would never make it.

I remember as a little kid trying to lift the shot put (or is it just called the "shot"?), and I couldn't get it to budge. How much does one weight? What about a discus?

Gracious Sophomore

4,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Wall Street 200
Equestrian
All Gymnastics
Diving
Synchronized Swimming

Shameless Hoarder

42,340 Points
  • Spirit Hoarder 500
  • Overstocked 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Willscrlt
Corinn

Are the shot put and discus one standard weight, and the challenge is only distance? Or are there different weight classes as well as distances? If the weights are all the same, it would seem that only the biggest, beefiest folks would do well, and smaller, lankier athletes would never make it.

I remember as a little kid trying to lift the shot put (or is it just called the "shot"?), and I couldn't get it to budge. How much does one weight? What about a discus?

The metallic ball is just "the shot." "Put" is a verb meaning "to throw with a pushing motion" (if you try to throw a shot like a baseball you will destroy your shoulder, for srs). In shot-put you put the shot, as in hammer-throw you throw the hammer. (And I've seen them both rendered with and without a hyphen in the noun-verb phrase, though it seems to have become popular to ditch the hyphen, so *shrug*.)

There are standard weights for men's and women's shots and discuses. Women's shot is 4 kg (8.8lbs) and men's shot is... uh... [/looks on Wikipedia-- I did women's shot a decade ago, okay? I only remember it was a weird number LOL] 7.26 kg (16.01 lbs). There are other sizes used for competition in junior leagues or some schools (usually lighter) or for training (usually heavier-- my team had a 10 lb shot for training purposes). As for the discus, the women's disc weighs 1 kg and the men's disc weighs 2 kg, and the men's disc has a slightly wider diameter since dudes generally have bigger hands. Again, weights can vary for youth leagues and training.

So at the Olympic level, the weights are standard. Not sure about the size and metallic makeup of the shots-- making them with different metals can render shots of different diameters. Anyway, the challenge is how far you can throw an object of a standard weight.

Taller, broader athletes have an advantage in shot and disc, yes. Just like shorter, slighter athletes have an advantage in gymnastics. 3nodding
I want to see more horsies! It's amazing what they can do. 3nodding

Ferocious Browser

I hate how NBC has entire channels dedicated solely to airing basketball and soccer. The other channels spam the ******** out of water polo and volleyball.

The rest of the events? Crammed in at 11pm-9am...

So annoying. I like the OTHER events. I don't need to see every single friggin soccer match. No really, it's ok. I think that time could be better spent airing the other sports that don't take so long per match. It would allow more sports to occupy an equivalent amount of time on air.

Friendly Gaian

the rafting was frickin' intense! like camping....

Friendly Explorer

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
Corinn
The metallic ball is just "the shot." "Put" is a verb meaning "to throw with a pushing motion" (if you try to throw a shot like a baseball you will destroy your shoulder, for srs). In shot-put you put the shot, as in hammer-throw you throw the hammer.

Thanks for the clarification.

Corinn
There are standard weights for men's and women's shots and discuses. Women's shot is 4 kg (8.8lbs) and men's shot is... 7.26 kg (16.01 lbs). As for the discus, the women's disc weighs 1 kg and the men's disc weighs 2 kg, and the men's disc has a slightly wider diameter since dudes generally have bigger hands..... Anyway, the challenge is how far you can throw an object of a standard weight. Taller, broader athletes have an advantage in shot and disc, yes. Just like shorter, slighter athletes have an advantage in gymnastics. 3nodding

Wow. Thanks for checking with Wikipedia and providing the rest of the info. Very interesting to me.

I guess we could add some more generalizations: swimmers tend to be taller and thinner with longer arm reaches. Basketball players tend to be very tall with a lot of tattoos (at least in the USA. Hehe.) Rowers also tend to be taller and fairly thin. Weightlifters tend to be very thick and bulky (not sure how tall they are). Marathon runners are quite lean and usually lanky.

I don't mean to be insulting to any one or say that all athletes in a sport fit a certain stereotype. It's just these are trends that I notice. I mean, why else would people refer to a "swimmer's build" or mention that someone :"looks like a weightlifter".

Any other stereotypical body shapes for certain sports that people can think of?

Friendly Explorer

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
Eveille
I hate how NBC has entire channels dedicated solely to airing basketball and soccer. The other channels spam the ******** out of water polo and volleyball.

The rest of the events? Crammed in at 11pm-9am...

So annoying. I like the OTHER events. I don't need to see every single friggin soccer match. No really, it's ok. I think that time could be better spent airing the other sports that don't take so long per match. It would allow more sports to occupy an equivalent amount of time on air.

Well, since football (soccer) is about the most popular sport around the world, and basketball is about the most popular sport in the USA, I can see why a USA-based network would show all those games. That being said, I agree. There should be more balanced coverage of all the sports.

I love how we can see live streaming of all the sports, but realistically, I can't stay awake all night and still function during the day. The delay is needed, to time-shift it to a more convenient time for me.

Of course, if they would air it all live, I could just use my DVR to time-shift it as needed. Not to mention skip past commercials!

O.G. Trader

Willscrlt
Rowers also tend to be taller and fairly thin.

Rowing is split up into different weights. So you get all sorts of bulks. It is true that tall people tend to be stronger rowers though.

It's not so much a stereotype as that statistically certain builds suit certain sports. Thus, at the pinnacle of these sports, your best athletes will tend to have the ideal physique. I am sure in your Sunday league pub sports you will find skinny shot putters and heavyweight 10k runners, maybe. >.<

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff