Welcome to Gaia! ::

In the women's fencing finals during the South Korea & Germany match they where tied at the last second. Apparently the officials never started the clock when the match continued allowing the German fencer extra time to lay the final blow thus allowing her to advance to the gold metal match.

This website sums it up pretty well with video;

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ktlincoln/an-olympic-fencer-refuses-to-leave-the-floor-after

Personally, I do feel like she got screwed. However; I don't think I would have made a spectacle out of myself by crying seeing how it is the Olympics and it comes off as bad sportsmanship even though I can understand why. Although I would have defiantly stood up for myself.

What do you think about this?

Conservative Survivor

She didn't refuse: it's required that she not leave the fencing strip (piste) when an appeal is being made.
And she cried because she got robbed.

Fashionable Gaian

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Are you an idiot?
This is complete bullshit, and everyone knows it.
All those years she had to train, thrown away because of the error with the clock,
and the judges gives Germany the chance at the gold medal even though South Korea had
a one point ahead advantage.
And your saying she isn't allowed to cry.

Pfff, its Germany with the bad sportmanship.
They only won because of the clock. If she knew better, she would
of stepped down and let South Korea had its moment, because they DESERVED IT.

Read the god dammit comments on that link you posted, and think about what you wrote again.

Piggyback-Chan

Are you an idiot?
This is complete bullshit, and everyone knows it.
All those years she had to train, thrown away because of the error with the clock,
and the judges gives Germany the chance at the gold medal even though South Korea had
a one point ahead advantage.
And your saying she isn't allowed to cry.

Pfff, its Germany with the bad sportmanship.
They only won because of the clock. If she knew better, she would
of stepped down and let South Korea had its moment, because they DESERVED IT.

Read the god dammit comments on that link you posted, and think about what you wrote again.

There is really no need for name calling... I stated it was a personal opinion and I sympathize with her crying I just stated I wouldn't have done the same.

Even if Germany "stepped down" they would have still had a tie breaker so she really didn't deserve the moment... She did deserve a fair chance though.

Battle-ready Brawler

So basically, your only complaint about what she did was the fact that she cried?

rolleyes
SetsunaEternal
So basically, your only complaint about what she did was the fact that she cried?

rolleyes

no?...

Battle-ready Brawler

It sure seems like it since you said you sympathize with her, understand why she was upset, and would have "stood up" for yourself as well.

The only thing you said you didn't agree with was the crying, as if her remaining on the platform wasn't making just as much of a spectacle as the tears.
SetsunaEternal
It sure seems like it since you said you sympathize with her, understand why she was upset, and would have "stood up" for yourself as well.

The only thing you said you didn't agree with was the crying, as if her remaining on the platform wasn't making just as much of a spectacle as the tears.
I said she got screwed. So a complaint in that sentence alone is implicit.
This is ******** BS they need a ******** do over.

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
lol everyone will remember that the German's medal is a sham.

If the IOC has any respect for the rules, the game, fairness and sport they would redo the matches and have Korea duel with Ukraine for the silver/gold, and have Germany duel with China for the bronze.

It's pretty clear that Korea won the duel. I don't get why the IOC will keep on insisting to keep things as they are and try to shuffle everything under the rug with a Sportsmanship medal. Everyone knows that Heidemann's silver medal is a sham. That is just poor judgment.
Existential Existence

If the IOC has any respect for the rules, the game, fairness and sport they would redo the matches and have Korea duel with Ukraine for the silver/gold, and have Germany duel with China for the bronze.

It's pretty clear that Korea won the duel. I don't get why the IOC will keep on insisting to keep things as they are and try to shuffle everything under the rug with a Sportsmanship medal. Everyone knows that Heidemann's silver medal is a sham. That is just poor judgment.

It looks as if the international fencing federation has acknowledged what happen to her.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/south-korean-appeal-at-olympic-womens-epee-could-only-be-rejected-fencing-officials-say/2012/07/31/gJQA9UuWMX_story.html
I might have cried to if it were me Lol
It's unfortunate but stuff like that happens. sad

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
J.T3
Existential Existence

It looks as if the international fencing federation has acknowledged what happen to her.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/south-korean-appeal-at-olympic-womens-epee-could-only-be-rejected-fencing-officials-say/2012/07/31/gJQA9UuWMX_story.html
yeah i know that, that's the sportsmanship medal they are trying to sweep bad feelings under the rug with. i don't think it's going to make anyone feel any better though. the sportsmanship medal is just a hunk of fail to remind Shin A that the Olympics screwed her over out of a gold/silver. she won that match against Heidenmann, yet Shin A was 'defeated' because the referee said so? It just doesn't make sense.

Amorous Paladin

14,400 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Battle Hardened 150
This was very unfair and unfortunate. However, if and when that woman returns in the next Olympic games, Shin A-lam will be a HERO whether she takes the 2016 gold or not...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff