Wheezing Elder

67,900 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Fluff Reclamation 250
  • Partygoer 500
Players disqualified for trying to lose on purpose xd

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19072677

Ferocious Browser

I don't know a thing about badminton, but they did say they were trying to conserve energy before the big match.

That would be like disqualifying Phelps after he lost the first day. 'Sorry we know you can do better, you are sucking this hard on purpose! You must be!'

@_@

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
I saw that and watched the video, it was totally obvious they were trying to lose on purpose. What a disgrace , they should just make it knockout so no one else will try that.

Gracious Sophomore

4,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Wall Street 200
This is so ... weird.

Beloved Elder

Eveille
I don't know a thing about badminton, but they did say they were trying to conserve energy before the big match
No, but you're close. They had already qualified for the next round of the tournament, and were trying to influence the seeding. They didn't want to play against their own country mates, who had also qualified for the next round.

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Eveille
I don't know a thing about badminton, but they did say they were trying to conserve energy before the big match.

That would be like disqualifying Phelps after he lost the first day. 'Sorry we know you can do better, you are sucking this hard on purpose! You must be!'

@_@

No, that excuse is utter bull. Watch the game online if you can. They were purposely aiming their serves at the net and the game was just down right dull. Their aim was to not play China in the next round. I know it's hard to understand if badminton's not your sport, but take it from me, they were not conserving energy.

Ferocious Browser

SmallTownGuy
Eveille
I don't know a thing about badminton, but they did say they were trying to conserve energy before the big match
No, but you're close. They had already qualified for the next round of the tournament, and were trying to influence the seeding. They didn't want to play against their own country mates, who had also qualified for the next round.

Oh. Well that does seem silly to have a country play against itself.

Rennie`
No, that excuse is utter bull. Watch the game online if you can. They were purposely aiming their serves at the net and the game was just down right dull. Their aim was to not play China in the next round. I know it's hard to understand if badminton's not your sport, but take it from me, they were not conserving energy.

I tried watching, it looked like silly tennis and I don't like tennis anyway lol.

If they play each other though, doesn't that guarantee that one will get gold and one silver though? I would think that's a good thing.....or is this still elimination?

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Eveille
SmallTownGuy
Eveille

Oh. Well that does seem silly to have a country play against itself.

Rennie`

I tried watching, it looked like silly tennis and I don't like tennis anyway lol.

If they play each other though, doesn't that guarantee that one will get gold and one silver though? I would think that's a good thing.....or is this still elimination?

It's within their guidelines, as an athlete, that you have to play to win, if you are found to be aiming to lose, basically not even trying to win, you can be disqualified. There are a lot of people paying a lot of money to watch these events and if you go to watch 4 players not even playing a decent game you feel cheated. I don't know what heat or round they are in because I've been watching other events, but regardless of what round you're in, you shouldn't play like that, it's unsportsman and looks bad on other athletes competing in that sport. The GB badminton silver medalists from Beijing found the game embarrassing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff