Welcome to Gaia! ::

With all the "crappy items" threads going around, I noticed one big counter-argument: "It's a gift, be happy you get them at all". The so called donation items are not gifts, not anymore at least. I don't know how you can call it that when I see threads in the exchange "40 Dec 04's MUST GO!!1". Each person who has a thread like this has not donated, they've purchased. Imagine what would happen if the admins decided not to give a gift one month.

Now, I don't care one way or another on the quality of this months items. My feelings are the more items the better, no matter what they look like. I've liked some of the more unliked ones (my beautiful bani clips) and not liked others (every donation hat).

But that's not the point. There used to be donation items on Gaia, but now it's just another two items released every month, and a way to turn cash into gold.

Wealthy Fatcat

3,050 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I agree. It's not a gift, it's really an incentive to donate.
Oh no, I'm not blaming the admins for this, if that's how I came across. However, I wouldn't have allowed for a single gaian to get a single letter multiple times by continually donating. But then again, I would've never been able to set gaia up in the first place.
Many people would stop donating if it weren't for the donation items... sweatdrop

Wealthy Fatcat

3,050 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Quote:
Oh no, I'm not blaming the admins for this, if that's how I came across. However, I wouldn't have allowed for a single gaian to get a single letter multiple times by continually donating. But then again, I would've never been able to set gaia up in the first place.

No, that's not how I read it. I just saw it as an interpretation of the reality of things. Without some incentive, there would be no reason for many people to donate.

Malevolent Feesh

29,825 Points
  • Hiss of Love 200
  • Grumpy Gills 500
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
Quote:
Many people would stop donating if it weren't for the donation items... sweatdrop

and then they would pout, b***h and moan until they left, which would make it (i'm sure) easier on the admins who wouldn't have to update the servers so often to accomodate them.
True...I guess there wouldn't be enough people who donate if it weren't for the donation items.
It is a nice concept but not working too well, because people are greedy, we all are, lets not deny it.
Quote:
Quote:

and then they would pout, b***h and moan until they left, which would make it (i'm sure) easier on the admins who wouldn't have to update the servers so often to accomodate them.
I could do without cool new items for a few months if it would get rid of pinheads permanantly blaugh
Quote:
Quote:

But what if they stayed? No money for new servers... Maintenance would be difficult..
Actually, the admins give out the gifts as a thank you for donateing. After that it is completely up to the user to decide what he or she does with it. If the donate 50 dollars to get 20 donation letters and decide to sell them, then its their own business.
LELIE
Exactly. And it doesn't matter, really, what people do with the letters or items they get for donating. If they don't donate the cash in the first place, Gaia has less money coming into pay for servers and hosting.

Let them get 50 items for donating, that's $125 towards servers and hosting that's not out of Lanzer's pocket.

Some of us would donate more if we could afford it per month just for that reason... but still try to at least donate one or two item/letter's worth because even that $2.50/$5 is helping to keep Gaia running.

Besides that now those who donate get to not see ads for a month, and that's spiffy. whee sweatdrop

Aged Codger

8,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I take a little offense at this. I donate alot to gaia. And yes I do sell the letters, but I give away just as many letters to my friends and I let others have things that I am selling at decent prices when I sale stuff. I also do not go around asking for huge amounts of gold for the letters I sell either.

But I will give you this some people do it just for the express purpose of selling and making gold. I would still be here and might even donate still to gaia even if they didn't have the letters every month, it just wouldn't be as much.
This happens everytime a donation Item releases, someone make a hate thread, and somone makes a thread like this. 3nodding
Quote:
This happens everytime a donation Item releases, someone make a hate thread, and somone makes a thread like this. 3nodding

Yeah, and somehow people keep discussing it sweatdrop

And thanks for the kiss surprised

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas