Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I'm aware of the announcement made by Uncle Kenny addressing the add on, and how it's use can make you appear to be botting. However, he does not specifically state that using it is against Gaia's Terms of Service. He states that when "your actions start to mirror those of a bot, we lose the ability to easily differentiate you from those bots."

He never states that using the add on is considered botting.

My question is: Is this add on allowed to be used, despite the risk of being mistaken for a bot?

Here's the original post by Uncle Kenny.

Original Post
Hey guys,

We've noticed an increase in the number of questions about the use of programs to help you buy items more quickly in the Marketplace. Rather than respond only to the individual questions, we decided to address it in a larger setting.

In a general sense, we do not encourage any user to use any of these programs. Using programs, which automatically fill-in your password and submit the page, can make you appear to be using a bot and could result in a ban on your account. Using these programs allows you to bypass the buying confirmation page and purchase the item faster than an average person could. By doing this, you can reach a point where you make yourself look exactly like a bot since that is what bots are programmed to do. When your actions start to mirror those of a bot, we lose the ability to easily differentiate you from those bots. This can lead to your account not only having its trading pass disabled for investigation but can also lead to your account receiving a permanent ban from the website for botting. Save yourself the hassle and frustration and just don't use anything that will get you to that point.

We do not want to ban anyone who just wants to have fun buying up items in the Marketplace so please do your best to not make use of these programs. We know something that lets you bypass the confirmation page is appealing, but saving yourself 3 seconds and a mouse click is not worth being banned, so just don't do it.

Dapper Gekko

8,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
  • Nerd 50
Mule of a mule of a mule
So I'm aware of the announcement made by Uncle Kenny addressing the add on, and how it's use can make you appear to be botting. However, he does not specifically state that using it is against Gaia's Terms of Service. He states that when "your actions start to mirror those of a bot, we lose the ability to easily differentiate you from those bots."

He never states that using the add on is considered botting.

My question is: Is this add on allowed to be used, despite the risk of being mistaken for a bot?

Here's the original post by Uncle Kenny.

Original Post
Hey guys,

We've noticed an increase in the number of questions about the use of programs to help you buy items more quickly in the Marketplace. Rather than respond only to the individual questions, we decided to address it in a larger setting.

In a general sense, we do not encourage any user to use any of these programs. Using programs, which automatically fill-in your password and submit the page, can make you appear to be using a bot and could result in a ban on your account. Using these programs allows you to bypass the buying confirmation page and purchase the item faster than an average person could. By doing this, you can reach a point where you make yourself look exactly like a bot since that is what bots are programmed to do. When your actions start to mirror those of a bot, we lose the ability to easily differentiate you from those bots. This can lead to your account not only having its trading pass disabled for investigation but can also lead to your account receiving a permanent ban from the website for botting. Save yourself the hassle and frustration and just don't use anything that will get you to that point.

We do not want to ban anyone who just wants to have fun buying up items in the Marketplace so please do your best to not make use of these programs. We know something that lets you bypass the confirmation page is appealing, but saving yourself 3 seconds and a mouse click is not worth being banned, so just don't do it.
Botting isn't allowed on Gaia. Simple as that.

Sexy Assailant

Why would you want to use something that knowingly mistakes you for doing an illegal act? edit: Once charged with botting, it's hard to prove otherwise and usually results in a permaban. It's practically a death sentence.
iAnimii

Agreed. Then maybe you'd like to read my post, and answer my question?

I didn't ask if botting was allowed, I asked if Lastpass was allowed, as it wasn't stated that it was considered botting.
Lidke

In order to differentiate a bot from a typical vendor, Gaia can analyze the ping of data that is sent each way from their servers. A bot typically sends less data than a normal user. When a ping sends less data, the user sending that ping is a bot. (99 times out of 100)

Using Lastpass isn't altering the data sent each way, so the ping should be similar to that of a standard vendor, so long as other alterations aren't made that do constitute botting.

Sexy Assailant

That statement is pretty clear. Using the add-on puts your account at risk. If wasn't an issue and didn't resemble botting to their detection programs, people wouldn't be banned for this program and Uncle wouldn't make an announcement regarding it.

Simply put, follow what the Moderators say in situations like this. They made that announcement out of respect for their users.
Lidke

They made the announcement due to all the commotion rumors about it were causing. I'm sure moderators were getting many messages each day about the add on at one point, as it was a major issue. There have been hundreds of accusations, and hundreds of topics about it. This was Uncle Kenny's reasoning for his post, not because he wanted to "hint" that it was not allowed.

If he wanted to let people know, he would have stated "Lastpass is not allowed."

Opinionated Warrior

The risk seems highly likely a ban of your account.
Uncle Kenny said it isn't worth the risk.
It seems the smarter thing to do is not to use it.
Beware of TnT

True. That's the thing though. There is a way to prove that you aren't botting.

Opinionated Warrior

Mule of a mule of a mule
Beware of TnT

True. That's the thing though. There is a way to prove that you aren't botting.

That takes time. Once again, he did say it's not worth the risk. Your choice.
Or you could just use the 3 seconds he refers to. Apparently 3 seconds saves time and headaches for all involved.
Beware of TnT

Three seconds would mean being very slow. Most items purchased in the marketplace, are purchased within 1 second of the listing.

Either way, there shouldn't be much of a risk.

Thank you though.

Big Noob

Caveat Emptor should be somewhat applicable. As long as you realize the risks and accept them, I don't think there should be cause for much regret later on.
Sevalle

Caveat Emptor?

Big Noob

Mule of a mule of a mule
Sevalle

Caveat Emptor?
"Let the buyer beware". I used it quite loosely to illustrate the risks you are about to take.
Sevalle

Ah.

Thank you.

I've been working with computer software for quite some time, and I know a lot about how things work. I just don't see how a user with administrative access, could confuse one thing, with something completely different.

What about people who just have insanely fast internet, and an awesome computer, who don't use Lastpass?

Are they considered botters just because they're fast? No. They're considered very fast. Why should an add on that boosts speed be any different?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff