Welcome to Gaia! ::

Universal Champion

14,475 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
This mod accused me of trolling. I did not troll (IMHO). My question is, is it possible to troll without knowing it OR is trolling an act in which you must specifically know you're doing?

For instance, let's say I'm a country redneck who thinks Obama is the worst President ever and that he's a Kenyan Muslim who wants to open the floodgates to let terrorists into the country to take over. If I make a topic about that to express my views and reasoning why, does that mean I'm trolling or just expressing my real views for discussion?

(^ The above example is totally made up and not what the mod thought I was trolling over.)

O.G. Gaian

Yeah, it means you're trolling. You're basically picking a fight. So's the other guy. Doesn't make it right for you to do.

But yes, trolling is being inflammatory. Some people go out to do it "for the lulz", other people get worked up and fall into the trap of losing their tempers. If someone's driving, and they lose their temper and ram another car, "but it was road rage!" won't get them excused.

Call it a learning experience -- the lesson being: Keep. Your. Temper. wink

Saxy Coder

Robert Ramos
Usually "unintentional trolling" happens when you don't stop after you've lost or when you don't read the original poster's rules.

For example, if you made your redneck post in someone's thread which was devoted to praising Obama, and the OP of that thread specifically asks that you do not post such content, that could get you a trolling warning.

If you don't want to get in trouble for things like that, try reading the Forum's "Rules and Guidelines" sticky at the top - each forum has a different set of Rules, so make sure you're acquainted with them before making a thread or posting something questionable. Also, try reading the OP's rules (especially if you're in the Mini Shops subforums - some shop owners have specific rules)

Universal Champion

14,475 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Lady Saxophone
Robert Ramos
Usually "unintentional trolling" happens when you don't stop after you've lost or when you don't read the original poster's rules.

For example, if you made your redneck post in someone's thread which was devoted to praising Obama, and the OP of that thread specifically asks that you do not post such content, that could get you a trolling warning.

If you don't want to get in trouble for things like that, try reading the Forum's "Rules and Guidelines" sticky at the top - each forum has a different set of Rules, so make sure you're acquainted with them before making a thread or posting something questionable. Also, try reading the OP's rules (especially if you're in the Mini Shops subforums - some shop owners have specific rules)
What if I was the OP and it was my topic...? ninja

Saxy Coder

Robert Ramos
What if I was the OP and it was my topic...? ninja
In that case, you would want to read the Forum's Rules and Guidelines, like I said =u=;;
If your thread is off topic and could be considered rude or inappropriate, then I guess could be trolling...?
Remember this site is PG-13, so keep your content and words around that level as well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff