Welcome to Gaia! ::

O.G. Elder

So we all know that ` symbol or [ or ] cannot be used now on Gaian usernames.

I have an ` on my username and lately it has been causing me many problems, but mainly these two:

1. I can't properly log into Gaia, I have to use my email instead.

2. People try to send me gifts, but they do not go through. I am afraid that they have been sent to the username Nina, rather than my username, `Nina.

Is there any way to retrieve the items that people have gifted me?
Are the "higherups" going to fix this issue, or are people with these symbols going to have to struggle being citizens in Gaia all the time?
I'm not going to change my username. Period.

O.G. Elder

And I already know that this has been an ongoing issue for other people with these symbols.

O.G. Gaian

`Nina
So we all know that ` symbol or [ or ] cannot be used now on Gaian usernames.

I have an ` on my username and lately it has been causing me many problems.

Which is why the registration system was changed in the first place, because of the problems it was causing Gaians whose names had a symbol. wink

`Nina
1. I can't properly log into Gaia, I have to use my email instead.

Or your user number. Either is fine.

`Nina
2. People try to send me gifts, but they do not go through. I am afraid that they have been sent to the username Nina, rather than my username, `Nina.

Same. Or well, I haven't tried sending to email addresses, but sending to a user number, I know, works every time.

`Nina
Is there any way to retrieve the items that people have gifted me?
Are the "higherups" going to fix this issue, or are people with these symbols going to have to struggle being citizens in Gaia all the time?
I'm not going to change my username. Period.

neutral As was stated when the system was changed no only accept alphanumeric characters, they looked at ways to fix that problem, but the only practical thing to do was what they did.

Koleda's Senpai

Fandom Trash

Ϲ ʀ ʏ s т Α ʟ ♥ ◕ ω ◕
          ╒═════════════════════════
            I do not believe the admin/devs are planning on working on it soon,
            but you're always welcome to post in the Bug Report & Tech Support forum
            to bring awareness to the issue.
            For right now, the temporary "fix" is to tell people to use
            your user ID number (found in your profile link) in place of your username.
            It also works as an ID for signing into your account.
            I'm sorry you're having this issue and hope they get it resolved.
            I know a few users who have the same issue and know they feel the same way.

Big Noob

I don't think the higher ups will change it. Several years ago, they sent an announcement addressing specifically this concern with special symbols and how it will affect certain features they were going to put in. The people who preferred to keep the special symbols will have to contend with the possible glitches associated with their names. You already uncovered most of the issues.
As for discussing whether this is the way of things, I would suggest making a thread in Site Feedback to discuss what can be done about it. QA isn't really the place to hold discussions.

I am also unsure if it is possible for the gifts to be rerouted. I heard moderators can trace gifts and perhaps reverse the process though. Try to PM them and ask if what you want could be done.

Athella's Fangirl

Lunatic

Alternately, you can use your ID number that can be found at the end of your profile. You can use that log in, and users can send items to you using that ID as your username.

Gaia has made an official announcement/notice update (if I remember it correctly) about this issue. Meaning it's really difficult to fix, considering how the special characters expand to more symbols and characters, etc. As much as I don't know much about coding, it sounds like a pain. sweatdrop

So if you don't want to change your username, your last bet is to make a note on your profile to tell people to use your ID number to contact your or trade/gift you.

As for the gifts they sent you, the users who sent the items can try and contact a moderator to see if they can get those items back or send it to the right person (which mean you). You can try and contact a moderator, but I don't know if they can help you look into gifter's accounts without their permission.

Best of luck. ♪

O.G. Elder

faolan

So what you're saying is I'm forever going to have to deal with this s**t as long as I have the ` on my name? Well that's just peachy.

O.G. Gaian

`Nina
faolan

So what you're saying is I'm forever going to have to deal with this s**t as long as I have the ` on my name? Well that's just peachy.

Yes, unless you change it. That's why they said in that long-ago announcement that users who chose to keep the usernames with symbols in them would likely encounter problems.

It's not something to be terribly worried about, though, you know. The user number solution is fairly painless, since it's easy for other users to find it (it's the number string at the end of your profile URL). You could put a note in your forum signature or on your profile, if you want to make sure others know how to get ahold of you.

O.G. Elder

faolan
`Nina
faolan

Yes, unless you change it. That's why they said in that long-ago announcement that users who chose to keep the usernames with symbols in them would likely encounter problems.

It's not something to be terribly worried about, though, you know. The user number solution is fairly painless, since it's easy for other users to find it (it's the number string at the end of your profile URL). You could put a note in your forum signature or on your profile, if you want to make sure others know how to get ahold of you.

Sigh. I suppose you're right.

The thing that bothers me the most is that this wasn't an issue for me before.
People could gift me fine with the username `nina.

It's not until a few days ago that this became an annoyance. -__-

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces