Welcome to Gaia! ::

Stone-cold Loiterer

Don't. This is ridiculous.
"Due to the technical issues that plagued the site over the last few days, we've decided that from now until November 18th at 11:59 AM PST, we'll be reinstating our special free item promotion with purchases of Gaia Cash!"

Or

"We had technical issues, but don't worry! You didn't miss out on our deal! We'll do it again so you can spend the money you might have spent while the site was crashing!"
(Would you invest in a site that's crashing?)

This is neither an explanation nor compensation. I don't even want compensation. I want to know what the heck was going on and how it was handled.

That you think this could appease anyone is insulting.
Please send out a dev notice that explains the situation.

Tricky Treater

I give up on Gaia at this point.
Eh, while I do question why we haven't gotten an official response and really hope they don't plan to avoid it until someone keeps bringing it up in ATS, I don't really feel this announcement was meant as an explanation, compensation, or appeasement. I think it was pretty much in response to the users I saw asking for an extension on the deal because the issues made them miss out.

Lashtal's Wife

Advanced Punk

22,900 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Hellraiser 500
Did that "FREE GIFT" thing ever even stop?
o_O

Strawberrei's Kouhai

Shirtless Sex Symbol

19,800 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
Gaia needs to reorganize their priorities. There has been a lot of rumours about what exactly was happening the last few days, but I would still like an official acknowledge.

I'm sure there are a ton of users who are completely in the dark (no pun intended xd ) when it comes to what is happening, especially those who don't frequent the forums, so an official statement as to why the site was down and some assurance would reduce user concern.

That should have came first before some cash shop announcements in my opinion.

Axeleon's Significant Otter

Versatile Smoker

19,350 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Ian's Valentine 100
I've already given up on gaia (since they dropped zOMG)… I'm here today just to see what they came up with for the zOMG stuff and drops aaaand… I'm disappointed. Not surprised at all.
Seems they're a bunch of kamikaze stare

Aged Lunatic

Pegasaurus Rex
Don't. This is ridiculous.
"Due to the technical issues that plagued the site over the last few days, we've decided that from now until November 18th at 11:59 AM PST, we'll be reinstating our special free item promotion with purchases of Gaia Cash!"

Or

"We had technical issues, but don't worry! You didn't miss out on our deal! We'll do it again so you can spend the money you might have spend while the site was crashing!"
(Would you invest in a site that's crashing?)

This is neither an explanation nor compensation. I don't even want compensation. I want to know what the heck was going on and how it was handled.

That you think this could appease anyone is insulting.
Please send out a dev notice that explains the situation.

Tbh as much as I agree that a full explanation would be nice (though the evidence from chatterbox and the Gaia FB page apparently make it clear what exactly what was going on), they're under no real requirement to do so, nor even actually give anyone anything, per the terms of service.

With that said, from what everything shows, the site was getting attacked by someone who got pissed that he got banned, which is largely for the most part out of anything Gaia can reliably control anyways.

If they really wanted to grant something for the downtime though, they should grant it freely to all users who have been actively logged in recently, not just GC buyers.

Stone-cold Loiterer

Synapt

Tbh as much as I agree that a full explanation would be nice (though the evidence from chatterbox and the Gaia FB page apparently make it clear what exactly what was going on), they're under no real requirement to do so, nor even actually give anyone anything, per the terms of service.

With that said, from what everything shows, the site was getting attacked by someone who got pissed that he got banned, which is largely for the most part out of anything Gaia can reliably control anyways.

If they really wanted to grant something for the downtime though, they should grant it freely to all users who have been actively logged in recently, not just GC buyers.

I know they're not required do, but usually a company is quick to explain the situation and quell rumors for damage control. It's just good business. At the least, it would be good to let us know what happened before pushing out a sale. To me, it seems in bad taste.

I heard about that. I don't blame Gaia for the servers being down as it was out of their control, but they could at least tell us what's going on. There are a bunch of rumors and it's hard to know which are true--if any are. I'd prefer to hear the story straight from the horses mouth since some people are going crazy calling this a hack and accounts being compromised and blah blah blah, while this is most likely a DDOS (which Gaia still hasn't officially recognized). Not everyone knows what that is and some are calling doomsday.

I agree on that, though I don't feel it's necessary to grant anything since it was beyond Gaia's control.

Noble Noob

8,450 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
Omnidin
I give up on Gaia at this point.

^^^^

Aged Lunatic

Pegasaurus Rex
Synapt

I know they're not required do, but usually a company is quick to explain the situation and quell rumors for damage control. It's just good business. At the least, it would be good to let us know what happened before pushing out a sale. To me, it seems in bad taste.

I heard about that. I don't blame Gaia for the servers being down as it was out of their control, but they could at least tell us what's going on. There are a bunch of rumors and it's hard to know which are true--if any are. I'd prefer to hear the story straight from the horses mouth since some people are going crazy calling this a hack and accounts being compromised and blah blah blah, while this is most likely a DDOS (which Gaia still hasn't officially recognized). Not everyone knows what that is and some are calling doomsday.

I agree on that, though I don't feel it's necessary to grant anything since it was beyond Gaia's control.

Well the person boasting about it otherwise proudly in chatterbox and the facebook page I would say make the claim of an attack against the site DDoS-style probably believable.

Tbh I almost want to think that's the main reason they haven't bothered saying anything, because for the most part the majority of users wouldn't know better and if anything would imply react like some have already, thinking it means there was a compromise when it doesn't.

Issue is in that mindset they're kind of underestimating just how much users might actually understand if they actually put it properly, which I think they don't want to risk putting it improperly and confusing people further.

OG GO

Gaia doesn't have to explain anything. People will still buy $1000 dollar items regardless whether the site is crashing or not. emotion_awesome

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff