Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you believe that this fur base is an infringement upon copyrights held by Nintendo?

Yes 0.48458149779736 48.5% [ 110 ]
No 0.22466960352423 22.5% [ 51 ]
I do not know enough about legalities to give either a yes or a no 0.25550660792952 25.6% [ 58 ]
I have no opinion on this 0.035242290748899 3.5% [ 8 ]
Total Votes:[ 227 ]
< 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 >

Married Otaku

19,640 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
+[Skarekrow]+
A Wandering Houngan
If it's as bad as you're saying then apparently we're all screwed. Not just people that bought the item. neutral

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
" A Houngan is wandering, away from its swarm. "

||| There are no differences between the skin and the design of Shiny Umbreon. I checked, and even right now I'm still comparing. The only thing is that the skin is bi-pedal and doesn't automatically have yellow eyes. Aside from that, everything is identical to Umbreon's design, right down to the placement of the markings. Even the color is pretty much exact.

And dare I even mention the item's name? Adding an X at the front doesn't change the fact that the skin's name is literally "Umbreon."

" The wandering Houngan logged out "

In a relationship with a fictitious character

Monster Lover

A Wandering Houngan
I get that.
What I'm saying is if it's that bad and Gaia gets in trouble then we're all screwed. Regardless of who bought it or not.

Married Otaku

19,640 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
+[Skarekrow]+
A Wandering Houngan
I get that.
What I'm saying is if it's that bad and Gaia gets in trouble then we're all screwed. Regardless of who bought it or not.

||| I actually don't know how this was accepted on site. I really don't. Seems like Gaia doesn't care about breaking the rules anymore as long as they can get money out of it, though this could come with some severe backlash and end up costing them heavily.

And if it happens, it's their own fault for not being more careful.

Firebreathing Kitten

+[Skarekrow]+

I think if anything happens, it'll probably just get removed from the site in the very least. I can't see Gaia fairly compensating anyone who bought it either for gold or through GC if something like that happens.

In a relationship with a fictitious character

Monster Lover

Dioji
+[Skarekrow]+

I think if anything happens, it'll probably just get removed from the site in the very least. I can't see Gaia fairly compensating anyone who bought it either for gold or through GC if something like that happens.
I hope that's all that happens honestly. If Nintendo sues then we can kiss Gaia goodbye.

Cluttered Man-Lover

A Wandering Houngan
              ||| I actually don't know how this was accepted on site. I really don't. Seems like Gaia doesn't care about breaking the rules anymore as long as they can get money out of it, though this could come with some severe backlash and end up costing them heavily.

You don't get money from lawsuits.

Are we positive that Gaia's marketing team doesn't already know about the specific laws of copyright but are just more well informed than the average user when it'e comes to these things. I mean, i am still waiting for someone well knowledge with the law (is that you?) to explain to me what exactly is to be expected. Actual sources, not just assumptions.

You have to give Gaia more credit than to just release an item that could end their sites being as you seem to be hinting at.

Omnipresent Phantom

Chidori Rain
♥♋♡
∰ ♡ Cee says ◦◔ ⩊ ◔◦ ☛

There are a lot of things on Gaia that are copyrighted.
There is probably a certain freedom that people can take
with certain designs, and this is not the first Pokemon item
on Gaia. And what of the recent Mario items?
The fact of the matter is, there is a possibility
that Nintendo either gave them certain permissions or there
are certain creative licenses that covers Gaia's butt.

As for the fur, I can live without it. No problem. But I do not
see it as fair for others who are enthralled with Pokemon.
I love the Eeveelutions, but that's about it. I got off the Pokemon
train years ago. I do not know about the ticket policies as there
is the greatest possibility that I will never have a ticket.
I just think that some of the items are too limited and some are
not limited enough. Simple as that. No need to be demeaning
about people wanting the fur base that has been monopolized.

☚ ◦◕ ᴥ ◕◦ so listen ♡∰
♡猴♥

Omnipresent Phantom

+[Skarekrow]+
♥♋♡
∰ ♡ Cee says ◦◔ ⩊ ◔◦ ☛

I saw someone suggest that there be a max on how many LQIs
someone can buy, but then again, that would not stop them
from using mules.
I think that they should have released more of the item instead
of a mere 500.

☚ ◦◕ ᴥ ◕◦ so listen ♡∰
♡猴♥

Omnipresent Phantom

Amon Larethian
♥♋♡
∰ ♡ Cee says ◦◔ ⩊ ◔◦ ☛

Usually the item quantity is more than what it is today,
however. Initially it was 1500, but it does depend on
the items.
I saw that it was sold out prior to the announcement
as they tend to update the shop before they announce
that they have.

☚ ◦◕ ᴥ ◕◦ so listen ♡∰
♡猴♥

Married Otaku

19,640 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
D1ETPUSSY
A Wandering Houngan

You don't get money from lawsuits.

Are we positive that Gaia's marketing team doesn't already know about the specific laws of copyright but are just more well informed than the average user when it'e comes to these things. I mean, i am still waiting for someone well knowledge with the law (is that you?) to explain to me what exactly is to be expected. Actual sources, not just assumptions.

You have to give Gaia more credit than to just release an item that could end their sites being as you seem to be hinting at.

||| I'm not 100% educated in copyright but with my prior experiences with Graphic Design and the like, I have a bit of knowledge since we were required to learn about it to protect ourselves against having our work stolen. And while one can get away with copying something if SOME changes are applied, this would not be one of those cases as there are absolutely no changes applied whatsoever.

Gaia has always been fairly careful with their past tributes. Items may have come close to the original source, but there were always a number of changes that set it apart. The only time I've ever seen actual copies were through FUNi's sponsors, basically the items that used to be in Mecha Neko before it became a generic cash shop full of trash.

Even the animal crossing items weren't as much of a blatant rip-off as this is.

Omnipresent Phantom

A Wandering Houngan
♥♋♡
∰ ♡ Cee says ◦◔ ⩊ ◔◦ ☛

Maybe and maybe not. I don't know the legalities when it
comes to these things, but with as many Nintendo referenced
items on Gaia, there is a possibility that they have a contract
with them. Or, there are creative allowances. I know a lot of
sites that mimic Pokemon and have not, that I know of, run into
any legal problems.

☚ ◦◕ ᴥ ◕◦ so listen ♡∰
♡猴♥

Cluttered Man-Lover

A Wandering Houngan
              ||| I'm not 100% educated in copyright but with my prior experiences with Graphic Design and the like, I have a bit of knowledge since we were required to learn about it to protect ourselves against having our work stolen. And while one can get away with copying something if SOME changes are applied, this would not be one of those cases as there are absolutely no changes applied whatsoever.

Gaia has always been fairly careful with their past tributes. Items may have come close to the original source, but there were always a number of changes that set it apart. The only time I've ever seen actual copies were through FUNi's sponsors, basically the items that used to be in Mecha Neko before it became a generic cash shop full of trash.

Keep in mind that Gaia isn't a little buisness run out of someones basement, they have people informed with the law.

K i n g X u m o t - XVI, the user that created the base, even said that an artist told him "Let us run it by and check if we can legally create that fur", after he originally asked for it (source). It is completely unfair to be spreading these assumptions, and getting people worried, when you aren't even certain about what is allowed yourself.

Married Otaku

19,640 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Ceeshnia
A Wandering Houngan
♥♋♡
∰ ♡ Cee says ◦◔ ⩊ ◔◦ ☛

Maybe and maybe not. I don't know the legalities when it
comes to these things, but with as many Nintendo referenced
items on Gaia, there is a possibility that they have a contract
with them. Or, there are creative allowances. I know a lot of
sites that mimic Pokemon and have not, that I know of, run into
any legal problems.
☚ ◦◕ ᴥ ◕◦ so listen ♡∰
♡猴♥

||| There's a difference between referencing and outright copying with no adjustments. Gaia has several Pokemon/Nintendo tributes, yes. I own a couple pieces from the Gacha/Capsule Master set, I own several recolors of the Ultimate Rival, and I even have the Team Magma tribute item. But these are all references, they're not identical to their source. Even the submarine capsule has differences from the original pokeball. Then you have some of the other [Animal] items referencing Pokemon, but they too have changes from the original sources.

But this "Xumbreon" fur has nothing changed. The ear and tail shape are identical. The markings, right down to placement and color, are identical to Shiny Umbreon. This is not a reference, this is a blatant rip of a Shiny Umbreon.

If Gaia had been directly contracted with Nintendo, they wouldn't have had to make reference items since Pokemon is such a huge deal for people. Gaia could have done what they did with the Mecha Neko items and release exact clothing items and even avatar companions of the humans or various pokemon. But they didn't, every item released prior to this by the site staff had changes.

Other sites as well, while still tributing Pokemon or other Nintendo material, did not make exact copies. Not the ones I'm a member of, at least.

Tipsy Smoker

D1ETPUSSY
A Wandering Houngan

Keep in mind that Gaia isn't a little buisness run out of someones basement, they have people informed with the law.

K i n g X u m o t - XVI, the user that created the base, even said that an artist told him "Let us run it by and check if we can legally create that fur", after he originally asked for it (source). It is completely unfair to be spreading these assumptions, and getting people worried, when you aren't even certain about what is allowed yourself.
This.

Married Otaku

19,640 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
D1ETPUSSY
A Wandering Houngan

||| I could honestly say a number of things about Gaia's "business" since you-know-who took over, but I won't go there. lol

I am certain that any other site that allows user-made items would have rejected the ******** out of this skin without any second glance until it had some modifications to it. Whoever approved this for site release is an idiot.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces