• Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150
curtneko
Silk Kanishk
curtneko
Silk Kanishk
curtneko
but threads like these?

as much as this game is about the community, a newbie posting about playing the game for the first time (actually about the game) isn't the same as a thread about someone quitting (the person's already gone, meaning they're 100% about milking replies... what most of toshi's latest threads are for)

I'm still not seeing it. As Miya said, a thread about someone leaving is even more so about the game as the person leaving is also leaving behind a wealth of contributions and experiences in the game that they shared with others.

I will admit that Toshi's threads are pure spam. But heck, I'm all about spreading the love. I'm Silky, baby. So I approve of them anyways. I've never believed rules should be followed 100% if the intentions behind breaking them are good.
you'd be correct of those threads actually outlined said contributions

all the quitting threads turn into cwying captain kangawoo haiwcut cowwections with little to do about the contributions the person's actually made nor the game

just because the person plays zomg doesn't make the topic zomg-related if a namedrop occurs

No one has to make a list of the person's contributions to prove anything to anyone. Their value is known to the people who cared and played with them. As the frog said, not every thread created in the forum is created to appeal to everyone. dramallama
then it's namedropping and irrelevant, both of which are against the rules!

It's relevant to the people who it concerns. For example, I know people who don't DMS. Does that give them the right to protest about dms threads since it doesn't apply to them? and I personally believe name-dropping is okay if it uplifting them and not bashing them. Like I said , breaking the rules for a good cause is a-okay. 3nodding

Generous Fairy

16,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
curtneko
Miyaka Hana
curtneko
Miyaka Hana
curtneko
you're like a christian

you'll pray till the end of time, but you never actually do anything

What.
say something to them directly, or you'll make no progress

I have. Whether they listen or not is their prerogative. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink, unless you hold the ******** down and shove the water down it's throat, but that's a tad hard to do over the internet, so yeah
but they're your friends, not horses

if you tell them to stop, why wouldn't they listen? unless...

If people feel the need to say something, they're going to say it. I encourage that, freedom of speech. I can ask them not to do so, but I don't care if they go against that, because I'd hate to have someone tell me that I can't do something that I damn well want to do.

IRL Cat

Silk Kanishk
curtneko
Silk Kanishk
curtneko
Silk Kanishk
curtneko
but threads like these?

as much as this game is about the community, a newbie posting about playing the game for the first time (actually about the game) isn't the same as a thread about someone quitting (the person's already gone, meaning they're 100% about milking replies... what most of toshi's latest threads are for)

I'm still not seeing it. As Miya said, a thread about someone leaving is even more so about the game as the person leaving is also leaving behind a wealth of contributions and experiences in the game that they shared with others.

I will admit that Toshi's threads are pure spam. But heck, I'm all about spreading the love. I'm Silky, baby. So I approve of them anyways. I've never believed rules should be followed 100% if the intentions behind breaking them are good.

all the quitting threads turn into cwying captain kangawoo haiwcut cowwections with little to do about the contributions the person's actually made nor the game

just because the person plays zomg doesn't make the topic zomg-related if a namedrop occurs

No one has to make a list of the person's contributions to prove anything to anyone. Their value is known to the people who cared and played with them. As the frog said, not every thread created in the forum is created to appeal to everyone. dramallama

It's relevant to the people who it concerns. For example, I know people who don't DMS. Does that give them the right to protest about dms threads since it doesn't apply to them? and I personally believe name-dropping is okay if it uplifting them and not bashing them. Like I said , breaking the rules for a good cause is a-okay. 3nodding
but that's different from what we're talking about

discussing dms is part of the game, telling anteros/miya you love them or informing the whole forum that someone's quit (which again is just to milk replies since the person is already gone) is not

they may be relevant to people, but are they relevant to the game? no one bar the devs should be

Benevolent Codger

curtneko
you're no better if you make no effort to combat them

That sounds suspiciously like a 'with us or against us' fallacy - it is quite possible for someone to disagree with something without actively seeking to combat it. It is not my responsibility to go tromping into every thread I consider inappropriate for the Forum to explain why I think it is so; indeed, if I legitimately believe a thread is inappropriate, it is my responsibility not to post there at all, and to let the report system do its job. Posting in a thread implicitly validates its position in the forum - it's more-or-less impossible to argue that you believe something shouldn't be here while you're bumping it. sweatdrop

The point being that it's no-one's responsibility to go around proving these threads are worthwhile - they're either worthwhile or not in the abstract (and I think there is at least some form of these threads that is defensible), and that abstract model is either realised or not in practice. Failing the latter doesn't somehow disprove the former, and it's no-one's job to go patrolling to ensure that doesn't happen. Yes, I'd encourage users to be particularly vigilant about reporting off-topic (or worse) content when viewing those threads, but beyond that it seems hard to argue that there's anything inherently wrong with them...

Magnetic Prophet

14,700 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
curtneko
Silk Kanishk
curtneko
Silk Kanishk
curtneko

discussing dms is part of the game, telling anteros/miya you love them or informing the whole forum that someone's quit (which again is just to milk replies since the person is already gone) is not

they may be relevant to people, but are they relevant to the game? no one bar the devs should be

The devs may have created the game but it's the players who give it life. They are the blood that keeps the Game running and so each and everyone of them are equally important. scream

Nimble Angel

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Winged 100
  • Luck of the Draw 50
silent hart
Honestly, I agree wholeheartedly with curtneko.

Lately, there is a substantial amount of threads being created solely just to announce about someone.

Just because the person is a regular zOMG player, does not mean it's okay to post about whatever issue has suddenly surfaced.

zOMG has become a domain for a certain group of people. And yes, these topics are keeping zOMG active, but so is random topics in chatterbox. Threads about people leaving does not contribute to the zOMG forum at all and should be left to meebo, chat groups, or messages where the group of people are familiar with whoever is leaving.

We've had a problem where trollers were using zOMG as their excuse to do what they want, and now we're having people post topics that is really, in every sense of the word, useless in the zOMG forum.

I understand everyone is comfortable with the forum, but if you have nothing worth saying about zOMG, then take it to chatterbox. And if you do have some vital information that does not pertain to the game, inform people who should know about the information.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of cliques, and I'm seeing it very often in a place where it should be more about helping and guiding and even providing a worthy cause/reward for playing the game; however, it should be less about people not everyone knows about.

You and I share the same sentiments.

I'm no fan of cliques either, and these threads that have been popping up as of late seem more relevant to the individuals rather than the game itself and what they might've DONE in it—and that bothers me.

They use whatever influence they already have in the game and its community to dedicate an entire thread in this forum for something that should either be left on meebo, statuses or over private message. Makes it no better than a Chatterbox thread, especially since only a portion of whoever's browsing this forum will understand what the heck they're going on about.

A group of individuals can go around patting their backs, massaging each other's butts or do whatever they like to one another. That I can condone between themselves. But if you're not going to post about anything that can have relevance to the rest of us as players, then I'll be frank—I don't care.

I simply ignore them at the end of the day, but they will always be an eyesore to me.

IRL Cat

Red Kutai
curtneko
you're no better if you make no effort to combat them

That sounds suspiciously like a 'with us or against us' fallacy - it is quite possible for someone to disagree with something without actively seeking to combat it. It is not my responsibility to go tromping into every thread I consider inappropriate for the Forum to explain why I think it is so; indeed, if I legitimately believe a thread is inappropriate, it is my responsibility not to post there at all, and to let the report system do its job. Posting in a thread implicitly validates its position in the forum - it's more-or-less impossible to argue that you believe something shouldn't be here while you're bumping it. sweatdrop

The point being that it's no-one's responsibility to go around proving these threads are worthwhile - they're either worthwhile or not in the abstract (and I think there is at least some form of these threads that is defensible), and that abstract model is either realised or not in practice. Failing the latter doesn't somehow disprove the former, and it's no-one's job to go patrolling to ensure that doesn't happen. Yes, I'd encourage users to be particularly vigilant about reporting off-topic (or worse) content when viewing those threads, but beyond that it seems hard to argue that there's anything inherently wrong with them...
i understand your point, but i think if you feel strongly enough where you wish someone would do something about it and you're fully capable... why not do it yourself? it's one thing if you can't, but when you won't...

in this regard, the threads were about her and/or her friends, so it's not like they'd turn a blind eye to her

you're completely correct in your point, but i feel the situation and the people involved allow quite a bit more flexibility (to the extent where if the person wants to prevent the threads, they can easily do such)

IRL Cat

Miyaka Hana
curtneko
Miyaka Hana
curtneko
Miyaka Hana
curtneko
you're like a christian

you'll pray till the end of time, but you never actually do anything

What.
say something to them directly, or you'll make no progress

I have. Whether they listen or not is their prerogative. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink, unless you hold the ******** down and shove the water down it's throat, but that's a tad hard to do over the internet, so yeah
but they're your friends, not horses

if you tell them to stop, why wouldn't they listen? unless...

If people feel the need to say something, they're going to say it. I encourage that, freedom of speech. I can ask them not to do so, but I don't care if they go against that, because I'd hate to have someone tell me that I can't do something that I damn well want to do.
why can't they tell you they love you on meebo/on zomg/through pm/through comment? how does it contribute to the forum?

just because they want to doesn't make it right

IRL Cat

Silk Kanishk
curtneko
Silk Kanishk
curtneko
Silk Kanishk
curtneko

The devs may have created the game but it's the players who give it life. They are the blood that keeps the Game running and so each and everyone of them are equally important. scream
i don't think creating a thread just to say you love someone (while encouraging posts just to get the megathread achievement in some cases) constitutes as zomg-related nor a contribution whatsoever to the forum

Friendly Shapeshifter

11,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
Signomi
silent hart
Honestly, I agree wholeheartedly with curtneko.

Lately, there is a substantial amount of threads being created solely just to announce about someone.

Just because the person is a regular zOMG player, does not mean it's okay to post about whatever issue has suddenly surfaced.

zOMG has become a domain for a certain group of people. And yes, these topics are keeping zOMG active, but so is random topics in chatterbox. Threads about people leaving does not contribute to the zOMG forum at all and should be left to meebo, chat groups, or messages where the group of people are familiar with whoever is leaving.

We've had a problem where trollers were using zOMG as their excuse to do what they want, and now we're having people post topics that is really, in every sense of the word, useless in the zOMG forum.

I understand everyone is comfortable with the forum, but if you have nothing worth saying about zOMG, then take it to chatterbox. And if you do have some vital information that does not pertain to the game, inform people who should know about the information.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of cliques, and I'm seeing it very often in a place where it should be more about helping and guiding and even providing a worthy cause/reward for playing the game; however, it should be less about people not everyone knows about.

You and I share the same sentiments.

I'm no fan of cliques either, and these threads that have been popping up as of late seem more relevant to the individuals rather than the game itself and what they might've DONE in it—and that bothers me.

They use whatever influence they already have in the game and its community to dedicate an entire thread in this forum for something that should either be left on meebo, statuses or over private message. Makes it no better than a Chatterbox thread, especially since only a portion of whoever's browsing this forum will understand what the heck they're going on about.

A group of individuals can go around patting their backs, massaging each other's butts or do whatever they like to one another. That I can condone between themselves. But if you're not going to post about anything that can have relevance to the rest of us as players, then I'll be frank—I don't care.

I simply ignore them at the end of the day, but they will always be an eyesore to me.

I agree with you Siggy. And this is the last time I'm saying anything about the topic.
These threads have become an eyesore to me and it's sad that it's with people I know and respect.

But meh. One way or another, I'm sure the thread will end up in chatterbox or something, where it belongs.

</3

Magnetic Prophet

14,700 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
curtneko
Silk Kanishk
curtneko
Silk Kanishk
curtneko

i don't think creating a thread just to say you love someone (while encouraging posts just to get the megathread achievement in some cases) constitutes as zomg-related nor a contribution whatsoever to the forum

I already accepted that Toshi's threads are spam. razz The real issue here is that if a person expresses some action in relation to game, In this case, leaving it, then it is absolutely valid.

Generous Fairy

16,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
The issue im seeing is love vs hate. People want to be known and recognized. Chastising them for that isnt fair because im sure that you would like to be known and recognized as well. If youre not being recognized then youre hating on the ones that are. I am sure thats not always the case but there is some truth to that statement.

IRL Cat

Silk Kanishk
curtneko
Silk Kanishk
curtneko
Silk Kanishk

I already accepted that Toshi's threads are spam. razz The real issue here is that if a person expresses some action in relation to game, In this case, leaving it, then it is absolutely valid.
but it never is from that person nor about the game

it's always "omg [person] is quitting let's cwy about it anyone who disagrees is a d**k!!!1!~!1`!~1`"

Miyaka Hana
The issue im seeing is love vs hate. People want to be known and recognized. Chastising them for that isnt fair because im sure that you would like to be known and recognized as well. If youre not being recognized then youre hating on the ones that are. I am sure thats not always the case but there is some truth to that statement.
again, that is no justification for spam

Generous Fairy

16,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
curtneko
Silk Kanishk
curtneko
Silk Kanishk
curtneko

but it never is from that person nor about the game

it's always "omg [person] is quitting let's cwy about it anyone who disagrees is a d**k!!!1!~!1`!~1`"

Miyaka Hana
The issue im seeing is love vs hate. People want to be known and recognized. Chastising them for that isnt fair because im sure that you would like to be known and recognized as well. If youre not being recognized then youre hating on the ones that are. I am sure thats no t always the case but there is some truth to that statement.
again, that is no justification for spam
Spamming does not mean said person being spammed about deserve to be hated and bashed.

Angelic Elder

19,875 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
curtneko
Silk Kanishk
curtneko
Silk Kanishk
This...is a very complicated issue. If you were to go by standard gaming forum rules, anything that isn't explicitly about the game would be considered off-topic. But then, zOMG! was never your standard game. razz

The thing is, zOMG! is more than just a game. It's a community of gamers. The people make the game what it is. I think that reason alone is enough to make threads celebrating its users.
using someone as an excuse to post about zomg = good

using zomg as an excuse to post about someone = bad

the end, not complicated whatsoever

I don't see how it's not zOMG! related. A person leaving zOMG! has everything to do with the game and the community. Using your logic. Even threads by newbies about playing the game for the first time would be considered invalid.
but threads like these?

If you guys think that I am creating spam threads, then think so! Those threads were made because there is a circle of people that are regulars of the game AND if they weren't around who would teach others how to play the game? Starting with normal and not so normal threads! If you don't like them, don't post there... I didn't ask for 200+ posts in those threads. Neither did I asked for, NOR AM ASKING, "popularity" as you say so. I think people like Hana, Eros and others contribute to the game. And I never asked for votes nor anything... So please be so kind and those who think you are too important... STFU!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff